Gibson Brands Forums

ES 339 Pro vs Ultra 339

Not-Too-Late

I always liked the Gibson version of the 339, and now that Epiphone has its version, which has been out for some time now, I was looking at GC's web site and they carry two models -- the ES 339 Pro and the Ultra 339. I was wondering what, if any, differences there are between the two. Could someone explain please?

I always liked the Gibson version of the 339, and now that Epiphone has its version, which has been out for some time now, I was looking at GC's web site and they carry two models -- the ES 339 Pro and the Ultra 339. I was wondering what, if any, differences there are between the two. Could someone explain please?

According to the unofficial wiki page for it, the Pro has coil tapping, while the ultra has active EQ / pickups and stereo and mono outputs.

According to the unofficial wiki page for it, the Pro has coil tapping, while the ultra has active EQ / pickups and stereo and mono outputs.

That's interesting. Considering the difference in pickup types, would there be any noticeable difference in sound quality, and if so, which would be the better choice? But I guess that all boils down to what ones own personal preferences are. Thanks for the info.

I'm definitely more of an analog guy so to me the Pro seems the better choice but yeah, definitely a personal thing there.

You mentioning analog reminds me of a studio my brother had years back. He had a 24 track analog system that he loved. He eventually went all digital, but would always comment on how he preferred the results from analog.

I have a modeling amp that has an acoustic setting to sound like a acoustic guitar. I do not need a guitar to sound like one like the Ultra. I have no need for stereo outputs either or usb to record with.

I have the Pro because well, you just don't need it, for most things. But I guess the choice is yours.

and as this guy explains.

perhaps!

I have a modeling amp that has an acoustic setting to sound like a acoustic guitar. I do not need a guitar to sound like one like the Ultra. I have no need for stereo outputs either or usb to record with.

I have the Pro because well, you just don't need it, for most things. But I guess the choice is yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWw90TR-Erw

and as this guy explains.

perhaps!

Wow, that's quite a guitar for $400. Most of my years of playing revolved around rock 'n roll & boogie woogie. I'm wanting to get into more old time jazz from around the 40's. I kinda fell in love with the sound. This 339 would do very well. I might just add that to my list one day. I just have to get my hand healed up in the mean time. Thanks for the demo.

I was waiting for ages for a Pro 339 and when the store finally admitted that they did not have one on order for me I ended up buying an Ultra for only an extra $100. I never really looked at the Ultra as it was NZ$450 more than the Pro. I am glad I did buy the Ultra, the acoustic pickup at the neck is a nice feature, you also get to download Guitar Rig software and the tuner in the bridge pickup is a nice touch. The nano mag pickup sounds quite nasty (in a good way) through a fuzz pedal or similar if you like to experiment a little. Plugging into two amps is quite fun and switching between the three pickups is very versatile, if you see one in a store chances are it has been there for a while so they will want to move it on, be bold and they may surprise you with a very sharp price.

Those Pros cost a little more now $449 and the Ultras I am not sure, but went down for awhile, but everything is going up this year in the price (for guitars) it seems, have to check.

Here is all of those. And a lot of 335's were used for rock and roll, and everything back when (as well as LPs): (for all types of music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRIbb0yYRII

• 1 month later...

I have a 339 ULTRA and a GENESIS PRO - the Genesis has the coil tap set up and to me the Ultra with the Nano-mag offers a much better range of sounds than the coil tap option. I live in Metro Atlanta and haven't seen a 339 Ultra in a GC store in a while but see 339 pro's all the time so if you find a Ultra 339 try it out - to me it's one of the best guitars I've played /and a best buy I've made

Archived