Gibson Brands Forums

How to play rhythm and percussion at the same time

Rabs

Hello.. I don't usually post around these parts... But I thought you guys would appreciate this.

You may or may not have heard of Rodrigo Y Gabriela, ive seen them once and they were truly great...

This is one of their tunes called Tamacun

And heres a lesson on it.. One of the most interesting things for me is the way Gabriela plays rhythm and percussion at the same time, very cool technique [thumbup]

Thanks for sharing! Can't classify this as amateur hour!

You may like this one too then.. These vids were actually posted in the Gibson Lounge.. But I thought you guys would enjoy :)

Hello.. I don't usually post around these parts... But I thought you guys would appreciate this.

You may or may not have heard of Rodrigo Y Gabriela, ive seen them once and they were truly great...

This is one of their tunes called Tamacun

And heres a lesson on it.. One of the most interesting things for me is the way Gabriela plays rhythm and percussion at the same time, very cool technique [thumbup]

I actually think this looks/sounds harder than it is to do. Sure, you have to have rhythm, but once you get the hand motion/slap down, it's essentially the same repetitive thing. To each their own, but this style gets tiresome for me to listen to after a short while.

Yeah. Wouldn't be so tiresome if they had drums. And maybe a harmonica. And Fenders instead of Yanahas. What do you expect from a couple of guitarists who probably can't sing, are classically trained and cut their teeth on heavy metal? What they do escapes definition, attracts sell out crowds world wide... I could go on, but it would be tiresome!

I think 'musicians' need to listen to stuff outside their comfort zone occasionally - some cutting edge instrumental stuff now and then. If for no other reason than to 'clear the palate'... to balance out the more mundane, inside the bell curve stuff we normally are comfortable with. For example, Rodrigo y Gabriella's interpretation of 'Stairway to Heaven' could be mind expanding to many folks stuck in a rut.

I think 'musicians' need to listen to stuff outside their comfort zone occasionally - some cutting edge instrumental stuff now and then. If for no other reason than to 'clear the palate'... to balance out the more mundane, inside the bell curve stuff we normally are comfortable with. For example, Rodrigo y Gabriella's interpretation of 'Stairway to Heaven' could be mind expanding to many folks stuck in a rut.

Good point [thumbup]

Lets listen shall we :)

First heard about Calum Graham last year from the YouTube video of him winning the Canadian Fingerstyle National Championship--at 18 years old. (See below.)

I ordered a CD from him and he sent it along with a note and another CD thrown in free. Seems like a real nice guy. It's cool to watch his career take off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MadlZwIeD5k

FMA

R&G strongly state what they do is not "flamenco", but that is the closest genre I can think it compares to.

They had a good interview slot on the Guitar Center/Artist Spotlight series a short while ago explaining what they do.

There's a video on YouTube of The Gipsy Kings doing "Volare" which might be a way to get de-sensitized to listening to R&G, if yo are so inclined.

Those guys (GK)) of course, are real flamenco - family roots, et al. Commercialized and not purists, but very enjoyable. Still tour in the US.

Thanks very much Rabs. If I remember, they stated that when they decided to move to Ireland and busk, they realized that even though it was just the two of them, coming from a metal environment, they needed drums or some kind of percussion, because people weren't interested in just 2 guitars playing lead. So they gradually developed the style Gabriella uses along with the rhythm accompaniment. Now, when they are in concert (saw them in Austin last year) they have a small, eclectic band that performs with them on some numbers.

Archived