Gibson Brands Forums

LP Tribute question.

Les Pauler

So I have been research on these and have been finding conflicting information.

The catalog says that it has a carved maple top. There are posts on this site that says that it has veneer. Some say that the top is carved maple with veneer over it. What is it?

Jay

So I have been research on these and have been finding conflicting information.

The catalog says that it has a carved maple top. There are posts on this site that says that it has veneer. Some say that the top is carved maple with veneer over it. What is it?

Jay

Carved top with a veneer over it. The back is veneered, too, for covering the multipiece body. The body of my Epi Tribute LP consists of five blanks as can be seen on the ribs.

So I read the specs on the tribute LP on the Epiphone web page and it refers to the top being carved maple. All others are described as being veneer. Is this false advertising?

They use alder for the tops on some models and top it with a maple veneer. Like on Gibsons, the Custom tops were made of mahogany initially like the body, too. The Tribute model comes with a carved maple top as described. It is clearly visible along the cutaway and in the pickup cavities. I think the "Plus Outfit" in the model name is saying veneers on top and back. I don't have any problem with that. Mine is a nice performer, and all the other Tributes I played at the dealer were nice performers, too.

My one-piece bodied/massive top Gibson Les Paul guitars costed four to six times the Epi Tribute's price each. Besides Made In U.S.A., justifying these prices also takes a certain grade of timbers and construction I think. When wanting most Les Paul for the money, the Epiphone Tribute model is it. A top-notch instrument featuring these looks will cost a fair multiple, and you will have to mod it for series/parallel switching options.

Archived