Gibson Brands Forums

I've decided what my next Gibby will be

duane v

I was really gonna get a historic lemon burst, but my Trad pretty much cures the historic jones for me...... I'm going with the Gibson Les Paul Supreme LE ...... It has the pups I like (490 Series)but they wont start delivering until June so I'll need to wait..... Looking forward to meeting her [thumbup]

GIB%20LPSU3%206YGH1-M-Large.jpg

The Supreme is a bit like my 25 / 50 except that the split block markers go all the way up the neck on the Supreme and they don't on the 25 / 50 for some strange reason.

I think the Supreme is chambered whereas the 25 / 50 is solid (and very heavy.

I read somewhere that the 25 / 50 has the original "dirty fingers" pickups but not sure how true that is. It does have a mini toggle coil tap switch.

And of course that particular Supreme is three pickup which would, in all honesty, put me off it.

Lovely looking guitar.

As with all Richlite fretboards I know of including that of my SG Supra, the Les Paul Supreme's inlays are genuine mother-of-pearl, not acrylic ones like on the wooden boards.

Yep... I like the idea of MOP [thumbup] .... Once I get it, I'm gonna get a cream pick guard and pup surrounds and gold bell knobs..... I know Gibson makes a cream pick guard for three pick up LP's, but I cant find em anywhere [confused]

Yep... I like the idea of MOP [thumbup] .... Once I get it, I'm gonna get a cream pick guard and pup surrounds and gold bell knobs..... I know Gibson makes a cream pick guard for three pick up LP's, but I cant find em anywhere [confused]

Really? You would mount a pickguard over such a gorgeous top? [scared]

As with all Richlite fretboards I know of including that of my SG Supra, the Les Paul Supreme's inlays are genuine mother-of-pearl, not acrylic ones like on the wooden boards.

It is genuine mother of pearl (and ebony fretboard) on the 25 / 50 but of course it is from a different age (mine is a 1978).

Really? You would mount a pickguard over such a gorgeous top? [scared]

I have a tortoiseshell pickguard on my pretty reasonable flametop. Some people use them to help play with especially over the top of the neck pickup where I play a lot of the time.

Well from what can see they offer two different sets..

1/8 and 3/8" rings and the historic 1/4 and 1/2" rings.. so maybe you gotta buy two sets and then mix and match :)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=gibson+pickup+ring&Go=Search

I have a tortoiseshell pickguard on my pretty reasonable flametop. Some people use them to help play with especially over the top of the neck pickup where I play a lot of the time.

That's understood. B)

Yep..... But the pick guard is gonna be a challenge

Lol.. you know what I completely misread your post.. for some reason I got it into my head you wrote pickup rings.. man I must be tired :)

But I did find this on Ebay.. only $199 :blink: (and the wrong colour)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990s-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-3-PICKUP-CUSTOM-SHOP-HISTORIC-5-LAYER-PICK-GUARD-/390804554870?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5afdc44476

It looks like your gonna have to get a standard cream one and cut the middle bit out :blink:

Lol.. you know what I completely misread your post.. for some reason I got it into my head you wrote pickup rings.. man I must be tired :)

But I did find this on Ebay.. only $199 :blink: (and the wrong colour)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990s-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-CUSTOM-3-PICKUP-CUSTOM-SHOP-HISTORIC-5-LAYER-PICK-GUARD-/390804554870?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5afdc44476

It looks like your gonna have to get a standard cream one and cut the middle bit out :blink:

lol.....

Gibson does produce them...... see link...... I may call in my first favor to Gibson CS [blush]

CREAM PICK GUARD

Be prepared for all the haters of richlite to tell you the guitar is garbage without a wood fret board, lol. I have a LP Custom Florentine with a richlite board and its the best playing Gibson I have ever played. Let the haters hate...

Be prepared for all the haters of richlite to tell you the guitar is garbage without a wood fret board, lol. I have a LP Custom Florentine with a richlite board and its the best playing Gibson I have ever played. Let the haters hate...

I dont worry about that...... I've purchased 6 new Gibsons since 2010 and all of them have kicked *** [thumbup]

If they start talkin crap.... I'll just ban them....lol j/p [laugh]

I don't think I heard anyone say they were garbage.

I believe most people said they didn't think it belonged on a $5k guitar.

I don't think anyone ever said they were garbage.

Its not "hate" it's just a "preference" brother [rolleyes]

I think I'm still itchin' fer a simple Custom myself...

I can't make my mind up what color I wanna chase yet...

I'm also, now, not opposed to a Richlite fretboard...

But that is a sharp lookin' axe! Congrats!

Archived