Gibson Brands Forums

Deep scratches in SG neck binding finish

Hello! I recently purchased a new 2011 SG '61 Reissue from a Long & McQuade and in giving it a good look over I noticed that on the neck binding (on the side with the dot fret markers) from frets 10-22 the top (closest to fingerboard) 3/64" or so of the binding has been quite badly scratched. It looks as if the scratch has gone all the way through the nitro finish and down to the binding itself (although I'm not 100% sure if it went all the way through the nitro). What's the best way to try and buff or even the scratches out? Would something like 600 grit sandpaper do the job? If evening the scratches out means sanding to the entirety of the neck binding to make it all look even and the same, I'm OK with that. Or should I just leave it alone?

Please no responses about how it's new and shouldn't have damage like that or that I should return it or whatever. It's a 3 year old guitar that has no doubt been sitting on display the entire time and it's no doubt not the worst that could happen to a display guitar. It's not that big of a cosmetic issue either. I'll also try and get some pics up if I can.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Mr. Erlewine is here to help You:

Good luck... Bence

Excellent. I've already blown my guitar budget for the next little while so maybe the buffing will have to wait. That being said, any suggestion on what to do if it is more than just a surface finish scratch and the finish has actually been taken off and the binding itself has become scratched?

Hello!

Could You please post close-up pictures of the area?

Cheers... Bence

Here's a couple of pictures. Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about (sorry for the blurry pics, but the scratch runs right on top of the marker dots). One thing I will add is that when I run my fingernail from the scratched to unscratched side of the binding, there isn't that noticeable of a bump that you'd expect if the finish was completely scratched off.

IMG_0326_zps44c934ec.jpg

IMG_0325_zps699c2706.jpg

Is it feel....or more the look that bothers you???

Since your budget is 'blown' anyway....you have time to "think about it"...!

It's not a big feel thing at all, it's entirely that it just looks awful. It's a shame it's not on the other side of the binding where I don't have to look at it every time I play. But whatever. It's still a wicked guitar and it plays great.

And maybe "blown budget" was the wrong wording. It's just been a pain trying to sell my old amp and other guitar. Once I get that done I'll be back on track. And I have way too much time to think about it. But it might be worth it to try the Micro-Mesh and see how that works. Some day I'll probably get an estimate to get the finish touched up, but that'll be a ways down the road.

For anyone that cares, I just finished buffing the scratches out with the Micro-Mesh pads. Those things are absolutely fantastic and every guitar owner should have them. The scratches are gone and you can't tell that they were ever there to begin with. Best $20 I've probably ever spent.

...any pictures?

Here you go. It's kind of hard to see (hopefully you can), but the scratches are completely gone. As I also suspected, there were a few very small spots where the finish was completely gone (right at the top where the fingerboard is), but they're not even that noticeable anymore. I am extremely happy and this was super easy to do.

IMG_0363_zps402c1976.jpg

IMG_0361_zpsa831da36.jpg

IMG_0360_zpsacc8a201.jpg

Oh Hell yeah! Huge difference. Great job and info!

Thanks Stainator! [thumbup]

The difference is huge and it was super simple. That Micro-Mesh is seriously the greatest stuff ever. The only thing is that it dulled down the finish a bit on the neck, which is to be expected, so I've got some ColorTone Fine and Swirl remover polishing compound on order from Stew-Mac so I'll have to see how that stuff works (plus there's a few other spots I wouldn't mind giving a quick buffing).

Archived