Gibson Brands Forums

New to forum from Michigan!

Ldmccloud

Hello there guys,

I am actually curious about something on my 1958 Gibson and I am willing to bet someone here can answer my question.

My guitar does have the FON #.

I have tracked the FON to 1958 as the year of mfg.

But the question I have is how do I determine the day, production number and factory it was built?

The FON # is T 3290 3.

It almost looks like something else is stamped after the "3" however it is non-legible.

P.s.

How do i upload multiple images?

it is only allowing me to upload 500k of images.

Welcome to the forum.

Gibson wasn't using a dated serial number system during this time period. The "T", as you've determined, indicates 1958 as the year of manufacture. The numbers 3290 appear on a batch of about 80 or so other guitars that were built. The last number that is smudged is the rack number, meaning that your guitar was the 3rd guitar in the batch.

You may be able to find that batch in the shipping ledgers but it wouldn't tell you when it was manufactured, only when it was shipped.

The best way to post pictures is to upload them to a hosting site and post the URL of the picture using the picture icon above.

But the question I have is how do I determine the day, production number and factory it was built?

I think tvguit covered everything but the factory. There was only one Gibson factory, the one on Parsons St in Kalamazoo, in 1958.

-- Bob R

well I guess I didn't figure it out, my photobucket looks different from the link, however I do see the IMG url box on the right, when I move my cursor over it it just goes white like I cant select it? it only wants to let me insert external links.

I am still working on it.

Thank you Onewilyfool!

I added some more photos of my instrument family in the Introduce yourself section of the fourum.

I asked the same question there but wasn't getting any answers and I got impatient :X

Thank you guys, it is my pride and joy!

Here are some photos of my grandfather when the guitar was new!

This photo is my Grandfather and my Father.

th_IMG_277919415348613_zps50e3ba87.jpeg

This is my grandfather with the J-50 and his Country & Western model Gibson.

Unfortunatly I have been unable to track down the C&W.

th_Screenshot_2014-02-23-14-30-47_zps2e6e35a8.png

that photo was taken sometime in 64 or 65.

The J-50 was about 6 or 7 years old already at this point.

My father is now 53.

I am 24 years old :)

I have a serious addiction to guitars and instruments, also I love to play, a very deep passion of mine instilled at a very young age.

I currently own 1 5 string banjo, 1 Guild Mandolin and about 9 guitars. 3 Epiphone, 1 Gibson ,2 Yamaha's, 1 ovation, 1 Vintage Harmony, 1 fender.

Only own one Epiphone electric.

I am in progress of building my Gibson collection.

Next purchase will be a SJ200 custom shop in wine red.

Well, welcome to what's known around here as GAS - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

Even an old guy can be afflicted by the disease. Me, for example.

Your Dad still play? A young guy his age should be havin' fun pickin', at least if he got rid of his offspring. <chuckle>

Yeah, I tease you young fellers on occasion.

Seriously, enjoy. There's an incredible amount of knowledge here, from some really good folks to a super DIY section in the Epiphone area that spills over into about any kind of guitar you'd wish to think about.

But watch out and beware - given that most of the folks here are already afflicted by the GAS disease, if anything, it'll make your case even worse...

m

unfortunately My grandfather has passed on and my father no longer plays, he is a very busy man, I try to keep him into it as often as I can. We both travel for work and don't get to spend much time together.

BTW I do believe it is already to late for myself. I am DEEP into the GAS.

I do not mind it though!

th_1382869_552157771506249_71330462_n_zps7d29f61c.jpg

that photo was taken sometime in 64 or 65.

The J-50 was about 6 or 7 years old already at this point.

My father is now 53.

I am 24 years old :)

I have a serious addiction to guitars and instruments, also I love to play, a very deep passion of mine instilled at a very young age.

I currently own 1 5 string banjo, 1 Guild Mandolin and about 9 guitars. 3 Epiphone, 1 Gibson ,2 Yamaha's, 1 ovation, 1 Vintage Harmony, 1 fender.

Only own one Epiphone electric.

I am in progress of building my Gibson collection.

Next purchase will be a SJ200 custom shop in wine red.

Howdy, I'd say the G.A.S. affliction has you off and collecting a nice herd! As a fellow Michigander (Dearborn) and Gibson fan, I say that SJ200 in Wine will be a stunner! Best, J.D.

Hello there guys,

I am actually curious about something on my 1958 Gibson and I am willing to bet someone here can answer my question.

My guitar does have the FON #.

I have tracked the FON to 1958 as the year of mfg.

The FON # is T 3290 3.

It almost looks like something else is stamped after the "3" however it is non-legible.

P.s.

How do i upload multiple images?

it is only allowing me to upload 500k of images.

Welcome to the forum! That's a lovely vintage Gibson you have there! :)

Archived