Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think of this technique?

Rabs

Hello...

Just wanted to see what you guys reckon of this...

I am trying all sorts of weird things, just cos I can I guess :) I came up with this idea when I was finishing build 1.. Its kind of time consuming but I think it looks pretty cool.

Basically I did several layers of veneers with the idea being that I cut the side edges and an angle and it shows light and dark stripes, so its instead of binding detail sort of thing. Its not quite finished yet, needs some tidying up, but you will get the idea :)

20140417_180216_zps901c2cb4.jpg

20140417_180245_zps9bf451b2.jpg

20140417_180236_zps03cd0c88.jpg

Seriously.

Binding has historically been a problem, how to cover that seam and look nice, but at the same time not dog production. Leo didn't want to bind things because it took too long. Forrest went to CFMartin and they showed him how to do it, and even after him and Leo made the first Custom Tele and Leo saw how good it looked he still didn't want to do it. Thus, and so, they don't really bind that many out there.

What you have there is a way to get a multi-ply binding without the multi-ply binding work and labor cost.

rct

Seriously.

Binding has historically been a problem, how to cover that seam and look nice, but at the same time not dog production. Leo didn't want to bind things because it took too long. Forrest went to CFMartin and they showed him how to do it, and even after him and Leo made the first Custom Tele and Leo saw how good it looked he still didn't want to do it. Thus, and so, they don't really bind that many out there.

What you have there is a way to get a multi-ply binding without the multi-ply binding work and labor cost.

rct

Hmm.. well the way I did it, it probably took me way longer :) I was just experimenting.. Im not sure I could ever sell it for enough to cover the time it took me.

To make it work successfully and economically youd have to glue all the layers together at the same time and use a pneumatic press to make sure they were all flat... but I cant believe im the only one whos thought of it.. It was one of my first thoughts after doing the single veneer on the first build..

PLUS in order for Gibson or Fender to use this technique theyd have to radically change the design of their guitars, cos this is like instead of a cap.. If anyone else steals it they can expect a visit from me and a baseball bat (after first leaving a horses head on their pillow) :) lol

By the way.. Idea copyright RabsWood Guitars 2014

:P (if only I even had the money to patent or copyright anything).

We should curse or talk religion so they can bin* this thread and protect your idea.

rct

*friggin Limes say everything different

yeah I get it.. we use the word Can sometime... Projects can get canned.. :)

And well im at peace with it all... If someone ever benefits from my ideas I don't mind, I have several thousand more ;)

Well Good! I do like that cap edge there, that could actually be turned into something fancy. I can see the work it would take though, and you are right, Corporate America would grind it into the dirt like a Marlboro Dunhill.

rct

Loving the idea. Did you stick on each veneer separately or sandwich them together and then glue it to the body?

Cant wait to see what it looks like when its hot enough for you to spray it.

Hello...

Just wanted to see what you guys reckon of this...

I am trying all sorts of weird things, just cos I can I guess :) I came up with this idea when I was finishing build 1.. Its kind of time consuming but I think it looks pretty cool.

Basically I did several layers of veneers with the idea being that I cut the side edges and an angle and it shows light and dark stripes, so its instead of binding detail sort of thing. Its not quite finished yet, needs some tidying up, but you will get the idea :)

20140417_180216_zps901c2cb4.jpg

20140417_180245_zps9bf451b2.jpg

20140417_180236_zps03cd0c88.jpg

looks like a skateboard deck.

I'd like one if I could have a solid color top, back, and sides with that exposed.

Loving the idea. Did you stick on each veneer separately or sandwich them together and then glue it to the body?

Cant wait to see what it looks like when its hot enough for you to spray it.

The veneers were an halfs.. so I did one half at a time :) (one half, leave to dry for a few hours and then another... REALLY slow way of doing it, but I wanted to minimise any bumps... So I ironed it and sanded it between veneers to make sure it was as flat as possible..

To do it all at once is possible but only if you have a means to apply enough equal pressure over the whole surface of the top.

Gold top and back with cherry/dark mahogany veneers would be great. I imagine a nice dark red stain.

That's odd... I was thinkinking Goldtop too... Spooky :)

But I was thinking of just leaving the back and sides natural mahogany...

I like your experimentation, Rabs but I'm conflicted with this one. What you have here is plywood. I have a 339, so I'm not against it in principle. Yours is very thick with many glue layers and I don't know what it will do to the sound and resonance.

You have basically made yourself a plywood topped guitar. Will be interesting to see how the edges take stain. In my es330 and es175, you can see the difference in color in the f-holes where the different woods are.

I like your experimentation, Rabs but I'm conflicted with this one. What you have here is plywood. I have a 339, so I'm not against it in principle. Yours is very thick with many glue layers and I don't know what it will do to the sound and resonance.

I cant see that being an issue... its a solid mahogany neckthrough design... I don't think the veneers will make much difference to the sound either way. If it were a semi or hollow body then that may be more of an issue (I think :))

We will find out soon enough :)

Though your idea is only seen where binding would be, Gibson had the idea for layering a couple of years ago. I never played one but my guess is that it didn't hurt the sound any.

http://images.gibson.com/Files/44caa865-b5c8-4c89-9517-0eda0bc4a860.jpg

Oh yes I remember that.. the Zoot Suit...

I think that's plywood all the way through.. At least I have a solid mahogany back ;)

Pretty nifty idea Rabs! It's so simple that, like you I'm thinking someone must have done it already. But I cant find any proof that anyone has. This is an idea well worth perfecting if you ask me.

Yeah ive had a look around and cant find anything quite like it..

But I still find it hard to believe its not been done... :)

Maybe it will give me a unique tone and sustain (well that's what I will tell people anyway ;) )

Archived