Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone LP thicker. heavier than Gibson LP Studio

Hotfoot

I bought a well-used 1999 Gibson LP Studio a few days ago, and when placed in my guitar rack I noticed it was notably thinner than my 1997 Epiphone LP Standard. Both are great sounding guitars (both have has 0.22 Sprague Orange drops installed (which notably improved the thickness of the sound in each)...I didn't care for the Gibson's sound until I did that, but now it smokes!

The Epi is 2" thick at the rim next to the toggle (using calipers), and the Gibson is 4/10" less, but its maple Cap is as thick as the binding on the Epi, and thicker in the cut-a-way.

I had a beautiful really thin Gibson LP back in the 80's,and in my mind it seems like it was maybe even 1/2" thinner than the Studio (about like an SG). It was beautiful Tobacco Burst...sold it through a music Store in Jackson Hole, and wish I still had it...very comfortable weight, yet still had good tone.

(Studio on left)

2zs1xtz.jpg

Thanks for the picture. As they say pictures show a lot.

I'm a fan of Gibsons. I just think they can make a good guitar. It's always interesting to me when people claim about a cap change making lots of difference, the orange drop thing, I don't really know.

Epiphone makes guitars I like too,nothing against them, I'd just rather own a Gibson. The body difference is real alright. I personally wouldn't think too much of. You think it effects the tone? Maybe it's some crazy way Gibson is cutting costs. I thought some Gibson SG's are pretty thin body too.

Yeah, I've had many great Epiphones, and I've had a couple Gibsons that ...well...I sold them. This Epi is a good one, and I wanted to weigh them both to show its as heavy as concrete (we, I'm sure over 9 pounds, but I don't have a scale to use). The Gibson is like "Ahhh" shoulder relief! The Gibson has very good sustain.

I was dissatisfied with the Gibson's tone when I got it home and played it for an hour or so, so went diggin' in my guitar parts and found a couple sets of capacitors I acquired, but never use, so I tried these big, fat Orange drops, and now I am a happy camper. that was a first stab before I replaced the pickups, which I would have done.. I have put various caps, ceramic, oil filled, paper wound, mylar film, etc. in various guitars over the years, never with negative results, and sometimes, like this time, they have added a dimension to the tone that sounds good to my ears. :rolleyes: Many disagree about caps,tubes, strings but hey, just humor me, OK?

I can't describe how the tone was re-shaped other than to describe it as a bit thicker now, but not muffled I have been playing for over 50 years, and play mostly slide blues, and know what I like. I have long been a Duane Allman slide fan, and these get me there.

I get to play it in a loud Blues Jam tomorrow with full band, so I'll see if it still makes me happy after that.

Archived