Gibson Brands Forums

JOHNNY WINTER - Jumpin' Jack Flash

Rabs

Johnny Winter was my biggest influence as a teen. I remember the ace guitarist at the shop I used to go to. One day went into the store to hang out and he asked me what guitarists I liked. I said Billy Gibbons, Jimmy Hendrix, and more of the usual suspects in 1975ish. He said, "Ever hear of Johnny Winter?" I said, "No". He said "Get Captured Live, trust me, you'll be blown away." He was so right. I spent a year learning the intro to Boney Maroney.

Floyd Radford (I think he is the guy playing the 335), is fabulous too.

I want a white Firebird badly, all because of him.

I've always had a soft-spot in my heart for Johnny Winter!

There's something about him that is truly American and undeniably original.

Heroine certainly took it's toll on not only his life, but his physical being for sure...

In my youth I copyrighted one of my Blues Songs with a female singer from my high school that later went on to tour with Johnny extensively in the 1990's... Her stage name is Susan Angeletti...

I missed my opportunity being a bit too much of a home-body, I had a shot at being on that tour...

S
USAN ANGELETTI has opened and/or performed with the likes of: Bluesmen: Johnny Winter & BB King, soul sensation Wilson Pickett…RRRockers: George Thorogood, Dicky Betts, Ian Anderson( Jethro Tull) & Sam Andrew(Janis Joplin's original guitarist from Big Brother & The Holding Co.).
<br style="color: rgb(27, 27, 27); font-family: 'Lucida Grande', Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px;"><br style="color: rgb(27, 27, 27); font-family: 'Lucida Grande', Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px;">
Susan has also had the honor to do shows with and work with folks like blues singing sensation Shemekia Copeland; (daughter of legendary Blues pioneer Johnny Clyde Copeland) Tom Hambridge (producer and drummer for Buddy Guy, Susan Tedeschi, & Susan Angeletti), John Sheldon (guitarist & songwriter for James Taylor & Susan Angeletti), John Hammond Jr, The Blind Boys of Alabama, original Blues pioneer; Luther Guitar Jr. Johnson (Muddy Waters Band) & more!!!

I was in and out of her band on a couple of occasions. We dated for a while...

I would have loved opening for Johnny, but I missed the boat...

This is my first early memory of seeing an electric guitar/rock & roll performance on TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlNGOynePMw

That version of "Johnny B. Goode" set the stage in my youth for me to pursue a love of electric guitar for the rest of my life...

Archived