Gibson Brands Forums

Polish

Micko

They usually just add "certain (insert anything here) may damage your guitar's finish. It's pretty much a liability thing. I have seen people put anything from Dunlop 65, to Goo Gone Gel and lighter fluid on a nitro finish to get stuff off of it. Most liquids won't do much, just wipe em off after you're done and stay away from any sort of motor oil / car fluids ;)

Stands are by far the thing I've seen mess up nitro finishes the most...

I use Naptha (lighter fluid) when gunk or grime is really bad on finish. I have also used Virtuoso Cleaner, but do not care for their polish. I prefer Gibson's pump polish and have the best results with it. Never tried the Dunlops but may give it a try as well.

I use Naptha (lighter fluid) when gunk or grime is really bad on finish. I have also used Virtuoso Cleaner, but do not care for their polish. I prefer Gibson's pump polish and have the best results with it. Never tried the Dunlops but may give it a try as well.

+1 me too! I unfortunately used polish on one vintage; sob...lost the old patina...but sure is shinny!

If I feel like it, once in awhile I use carnuba car wax on nitro.

They usually just add "certain (insert anything here) may damage your guitar's finish. It's pretty much a liability thing. I have seen people put anything from Dunlop 65, to Goo Gone Gel and lighter fluid on a nitro finish to get stuff off of it. Most liquids won't do much, just wipe em off after you're done and stay away from any sort of motor oil / car fluids ;)

Stands are by far the thing I've seen mess up nitro finishes the most...

I ten to agree. back in the early 70's I owned and SG and L6S and when I asked some of the local players one said he used Pledge. I spend over 25 (until I sold them) years polishing both guitars with spray furniture polish with no damage to the finish.

Archived