Gibson Brands Forums

LP wont stay in tune

12BarD

Just curious, has anyone here had a problem with their LP staying in tune? It seems somewhat sad that my $500.00 PRS stays in tune better than my new Traditional.

And, what is that "BUZZ"???????? I take my hands off the guitar and all I hear is BUZZZZZZ until I touch something metal on the guitar.

I thought it might be my amp.......but when I plug the PRS in.....No BUZZZZZZZZZ

Ok ya I'm cranky and I dont want to throw stones at Gibson...........Just frustrated and I am sure much of it has to do with the cost of the LP.

Just looking for some help.

Thanks.

Just curious' date=' has anyone here had a problem with their LP staying in tune? It seems somewhat sad that my $500.00 PRS stays in tune better than my new Traditional.

And, what is that "BUZZ"???????? I take my hands off the guitar and all I hear is BUZZZZZZ until I touch something metal on the guitar.

I thought it might be my amp.......but when I plug the PRS in.....No BUZZZZZZZZZ

Ok ya I'm cranky and I dont want to throw stones at Gibson...........Just frustrated and I am sure much of it has to do with the cost of the LP.

Just looking for some help.

Thanks.[/quote']

I am no expert...but if the buzz goes away when you touch the strings then the guitar is doing its job. It might be that the Gibson pickups are more sensitive to stuff like electrical dimmers or a nearby TV/computer screen. Does it happen if you move the amp to a different room?

As for staying in tune--it is a common issue with LPs. All you need to do is put some graphite on the nut.

As far as the BUZZ, location doesnt change it. It happens in every room in our home and happens when I take the guitar to a friends home and plug into his amp(s). Its just not the strings. Loud BUZZ just put a finger tip on the bridge, tail piece, tunning peg top or bottom and it stops. Lift my finger and the buzz is back.

I will take it in for a proper set up and hope for the best.

Thanks

As far as the BUZZ' date=' location doesnt change it. It happens in every room in our home and happens when I take the guitar to a friends home and plug into his amp(s). Its just not the strings. Loud BUZZ just put a finger tip on the bridge, tail piece, tunning peg top or bottom and it stops. Lift my finger and the buzz is back.

I will take it in for a proper set up and hope for the best.

Thanks[/quote']

Sounds like a grounding issue with the guitar. A setup isn't going to fix it. I would call Gibson. They will give you the name of a local repair place that is authorized to do warranty work. Or, if possible, return it and get a new one. Don't waste you money on a setup, though.

Re "Not staying in Tune " - Nut Slots need to be opened up a bit for your gauge string.

Lube the Nut _ I use Ivory Soap

And wrap with an interlocking wrap at the tuning peg binding post.

I only use three quarters of a wrap for each string, interlocked with itself.

If you use too many wraps at the binding post - its similar to winding up a long garden hose.

You want to keep the "non speaking" string length to a minimum.

Sounds like a grounding issue with the guitar. A setup isn't going to fix it. I would call Gibson. They will give you the name of a local repair place that is authorized to do warranty work. Or' date=' if possible, return it and get a new one. Don't waste you money on a setup, though.[/quote']

A proper setup probably would fix the tuning problem. The buzzing no clue, but as for the tuning problem, most of the time if a shop you buy your guitar from didn't setup it up again when it came in, it probably went to hell during shipping. My Les Paul and my RD were barely setup properly when I first got them, just enough to where you could jam a little bit on them.

I will also guess that the "fretting out" issue is also due to the lack of a proper set up.

Being a begginer sure can suck at times.....leaves you wide open for someone to give you a good dope smack upside the head!!!!!!!

I will also guess that the "fretting out" issue is also due to the lack of a proper set up.

Being a begginer sure can suck at times.....leaves you wide open for someone to give you a good dope smack upside the head!!!!!!!

12BarD...just remember what Mr. Garrison from South Park said: "There are no stupid questions....only stupid people"

Welcome to the forums...and remember, we all started out as beginners at one time or another.

Concerning gibson guitars/pickups vs cheaper guitars/pickups, I used to experience a lot of buzz from gibsons in the studio but not from cheaper guitars... I was told gibson pickups (and certain other brands that are not cheap) tend to be more sensitive to electrical, radio and magnetic fields/waves or whatever can affect an electronic system that includes a magnetic pickup. Some waves will be more noticeable the higher the output of the pickup, and it might happen in some places only.

I used to have problems with humbuckers in the studio (EMG actives, and those of gibsons and with SD pickups too), but people would bring in an ibanez Gio and there was no hum/buzz.

Strange... I know. Hope your issues with that fine guitar you have get solved man.

Mine did this and it ended up being the chord from the guitar to amp. Neon and florescent lamps will do it as well. We pick up cell phones from time to time as well. This is really bad when they take on an intirely different beat from the song we're playin'. Swap the chord and go to another amp and see if you have the same trouble.

Make sure you don't have a hairline crack in the neck. After the "accident" and I reglued my neck mine stays in much better tune. I can actually go from one practice to the next and it'll stay tuned. I can only assume I've had issues for quite some time. My "G" was a royal pain to keep tuned.

In case you wanted to know,

I took my LP down to an authorized Gibson repair shop in Phoenix. Rob, the tech guy, told me that he fixes this problem on Lps all the time.

He pulled the back plates/covers and lined each cavity with copper.

Guess what? The Buzz is gone!!!!! :P

As for the fretting out problem, my low E was just set too low, he fixed that as well.

The staying in tune issue, he did say the strings are stretching some but more than likely he thinks its the temp. change. I live at 7,000 feet and in the evenings it gets pretty cold here.

All in all, I once again am happy!!!

Thanks for all the input gang!!!

Archived