Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement tuners for Fender 57 RI Strat that don't suck?

RichCI

Sorry I sound hostile and pissed off but I have HAD IT with those

piece of crap "vintage" style tuners. I bought the guitar at a

clearance sale and it's great in every respect except the tuners and

the cheap trem bar that snapped (and I'm not a heavy trem user).

The guitar is a 57 RI. Yeah, I've heard that the tuners work well, but

they do NOT work for me when I'm trying to change strings while under

the gun in low lighting. I've been playing guitar for a long time so,

please, if you're going to reply, do so with suggestions for what I'm

looking for rather than postulating about how they work for you and

why you think they don't suck (you won't convince me and I'm sure

there is a reason why Fender changed the design in the long run - the

old style ones SUCK).

In a nutshell, I want a replacement set of tuners that do NOT have the

slotted tops, just either regular old tuners with a hole to wrap

around the string or locking tuners - anything but those slots.

* * * The one aspect that is important to me (other than they keep the

guitar in tune) is that I don't have to drill any new holes in the

guitar to install the replacements * * *

Again, sorry for the anger, but I just reached the end of my rope with

those tuners. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I put locking Sperzels on my Strat about 15 years ago. Never regretted it. It stays in tune beautifully - even if I use the vibrato bar heavily. The post heights are staggered on the model I have so there are no string trees to bind. I had to drill the vintage headstock holes out to fit the Sperzels in though. Not everyone wants to do that. Not sure if they make a model to fit the vintage holes now or not.

The only thing I didnt like about the tuners was that the high E and B strings would slip out of the hole while winding the string around the post. I got a tip, and I force a toothpick into the hole along with the string to kind of

snuggle with it...had no problems since.....oh ya....take the toothpicks while playing! lol

Just bought a bunch of parts to upgrade my Strat - including the tuners.

Gotoh Vintage Locking Guitar Tuners 6-in-Line with Hardware (Adjustable Height Posts)

Those should not only keep me from throwing the guitar through the wall when I change strings, but also allow me to get rid of the string trees for better tuning stability when I use the bar.

John Suhr BPSSC System

To keep those single coils QUIET.

Callaham Vintage Repro enhanced trem block and "64"length Virtual Pop-in trem arm

The stock arm snapped inside the block and I can't get the leftover bit out of it and this block is supposed to transfer energy better and give a bit more low end response.

These are all upgrades I've been planning to do for a long time. The restringing bit through me other the edge and I figured I'd just get it all over with in one shot.

Just bought a bunch of parts to upgrade my Strat - including the tuners.

Gotoh Vintage Locking Guitar Tuners 6-in-Line with Hardware (Adjustable Height Posts)

Those should not only keep me from throwing the guitar through the wall when I change strings' date=' but also allow me to get rid of the string trees for better tuning stability when I use the bar.

John Suhr BPSSC System

To keep those single coils QUIET.

Callaham Vintage Repro enhanced trem block and "64"length Virtual Pop-in trem arm

The stock arm snapped inside the block and I can't get the leftover bit out of it and this block is supposed to transfer energy better and give a bit more low end response.

These are all upgrades I've been planning to do for a long time. The restringing bit through me other the edge and I figured I'd just get it all over with in one shot.

I think you are nailing it. I really wish I could do the same, but it would get 3 or 4 times more expensive in Brazil...

Keep it up, Rich!

Archived