Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
actdj

New user SCS4DJ

Hello,

I am new to this forum, this is my first post. I have been DJing for the past 20 years mainly at wedding receptions. I currently use the Numark DDS80, I have been very happy with the unit and in the last 6 years it hasn't missed a beat. I have been doing a lot of internet searching lately for a similar device, ( numark have discontinued the DDS80 and I am very disappointed about that )as my DDS80 is getting a bit old now and I would really like something newer with a sync feature and faster processor, I don't really need all the bells and whistles with a controller just something reliable. I only yesterday purchased the SCS4DJ with version 5 firmware so have a lot of questions for you fellow users.( please help )

1) can I connect a monitor to the unit? the screen is a bit small.?? ( I really wish it had a bigger screen )

2) I analysed all my music on quick grid and everything seems fine, except I created and saved a playlist as a test and cant seem to delete it, does anyone know how to delete a saved playlist.??

3 ) I connected a secondary USD drive to the unit, I couldn't work out how to navigate between to two USD drives, can some help with this?

3) I connected the outputs to my speakers ( Mackie SRM 450s ) and had no response, I could hear the sound coming through the speakers ever so slightly so if you put your ear to the speaker you could hear the song, I have today taken the SCS4DJ back to the shop and explained the problem, they also cant get it working ????

I am starting to think I have purchased a poor product, How has the SCS4DJ performed for you, is it reliable, does it ever freeze?? any feedback would be really appreciated

Thanks

1) No, there is no external monitor option

2) The playlist should be on your USB drive, insert it into your computer and find the m3u file and delete it.

3) No need for that, the browse display will show your music from both drives

4) You did turned up the master volume on the front of the unit? Crossfader in the center? Volume on the deck turned up? How is the sound on the headphones? Did you try both outputs (Jack and RCA)? Perhaps it is faulty, did your shop try an other unit?

You didn't bought a poor product - the SCS.4DJ is performing very good for me. It is very reliable, never freezed - with a song database of over 24.000 MP3s.

I do however use this workflow which works very nice for me:

- Analyse tracks with Platinum Notes - this makes all tracks the same loudness (so I don't need to tweak that on the fly playing tracks)

- Analyse tracks with Mixed in Key - you can skip this if you don't care about mixing in key. For me, I'm lazy, don't want to find out myself, let the software do the job, let me handle the mixing ;-).

- Clean up ALL tags except: title, artist, year, genre, comment, key, bpm and image. I also clean all id3 v1 tags and APE, just use v2.3 tags. And rename the files to artist - title, but that's your choice.

- Analyse the tracks with quickgrid

- Create playlists with oddgravity Playlist creator

- Copy all to USB disk (I've formatted with NTFS - I've tested this and was faster that FAT)

- Prepare USB disk with Quickgrid

- jam the USB into the SCS4DJ and load the playlist into active playlist, or play tracks from the browser

You might also buy a USB keyboard - makes searching for tracks a breeze - I use one wireless with the dongle inside the unit under the cover.

I've been debating about buying a different set, checked out a Pioneer pro system, two CDJ 2000Nexus with a nice DJM 900Nexus - cool stuff, but only a few more options a nicer (bit more effects, larger platters, bigger screens), but hey - the price difference (even with the bought software, which you might buy anyway using the Pioneers) is over 10x more...

But to be honest - there are lovers, there are haters - for me the unit does the job every time during gigs, it's small, easy to carry - just love it.

Hi Bourke

Thanks for your detailed reply

That's a shame about the monitor, it would be a great feature. I don't know why someone doesn't make a all in one player with a slightly bigger screen??

I tried to find the playlist that I wanted to delete on my USB hard drive but couldn't find it, I found the other playlists that I created on my computer but the one I cant find is the one that I created on the actual SCS4DJ, I will have another look for it.

I already did all the checks you suggested, I had no sound through the headphones at all, the shop doesn't have any others in stock to test another unit, they are sending it back, so it will be a week or so before I get to use it.

Thanks for all your other information, I will have a lot of other questions when I actually get to use the SCS4DJ,so you will hear from me again, in the mean time I will be getting my playlists setup on my computer.

I do have one other question, my DDS80 has a feature where I can copy from one drive to another, I use this a lot when I want to copy 3 or 4 songs to my main playing drive, does the SCS4DJ have this??

Thanks for your re assurance on the unit, I'm sure it will be fine, just a bit of a mystery why this new unit isn't working

Cheers

Ok, I have my system up and running, set up in the garage to give it a go, I have created several playlists as a m3u file from iTunes and everything seems ok except some of the songs haven't transferred to the SCS4dj,eg my country playlist should have 69 songs but is only displaying 65, should I delete the playlist and start again??

I have installed firmware version 5.0 but don't seem to have the preview button as stated as a new feature of version 5.0, the area where it should be is blank, what's happened here?? should I install version 5.0 again??

Also how do I distinguish what songs are on different usb devices, it seems to put them all together and you have to search for them, is there a way I can navigate from different usb drives and just bring up the songs on that particular drive, my DDS80 had this feature and very easy to navigate between usb devices.

Also is there a way of searching by artist or song??

I would love to hear from someone

Cheers

Ok, I have my system up and running, set up in the garage to give it a go, I have created several playlists as a m3u file from iTunes and everything seems ok except some of the songs haven't transferred to the SCS4dj,eg my country playlist should have 69 songs but is only displaying 65, should I delete the playlist and start again??

*Maybe one of the songs is not a compatible file? You may just want to re due that playlist.

I have installed firmware version 5.0 but don't seem to have the preview button as stated as a new feature of version 5.0, the area where it should be is blank, what's happened here?? should I install version 5.0 again??

* The preview was there in V.4 as well. One you select a song in browser the song preview tab appears. Select that and the sound will come out of the headphone out only

Also how do I distinguish what songs are on different usb devices, it seems to put them all together and you have to search for them, is there a way I can navigate from different usb drives and just bring up the songs on that particular drive, my DDS80 had this feature and very easy to navigate between usb devices.

It only shows that device info on the playlist screen not on the browser page. Not enough room for everything :| I suppose

Also is there a way of searching by artist or song??

*Have you tried connecting a simple USB keyboard to the device? Works great for quick searching

I would love to hear from someone

Cheers

Hi Thanks for your reply,

I deleted all the playlists and re-did them, the same songs are still missing, not sure why, is a mpeg audio file compatible?,( all the missing songs appear when I search for them in browse, but they don't appear in the playlist that I created on iTunes )

I figured out that I do have preview, I didn't realise I could only preview the song after doing a search on it.

Yes I do use a keyboard.

After using the SCS4DJ for a day now there are so many things I would love to see improved although I am happy with my purchase, my Numark DDS80 although slow has so many more features I just assumed the Stanton SCS4DJ would already have these. eg

The ability to navigate through different USB playlists without dumping them all in browse, what if at a function I am given a USB with lets say 20 songs that the brides wants played and I don't actually know the songs, how do I just bring up those songs??

I work with playlists all the time adding and removing songs, this is really difficult on the SCS4DJ, WE NEED A ADD TO PLAYLIST FEATURE or REMOVE FROM PLAYLIST FEATURE, I Know I can save a playlist on the unit after I have added songs, but then then I would have to go to my PC and delete the original playlist.

Would be great to be able to search by either song or artist with more characters, eg searching for the song beautiful, do you know how many times the work beautiful comes up with my database.

has any one else ever suggested these improvements?? would Stanton listen?? I'm only a new user to the SCS4DJ so not sure, I love the sync and effects and loop functions, don't really need hot cues, what can T say , I do weddings

Cheers

don't expect to much from it. great hardware, but software is a fail.

i eventually quit using mine with the built in software and just use it as a super expensive controller, which it doesn't quite do so well at that either.

the browser is ridiculous. search a track, load a song, go to waveform view, then go back to your browser, and your search results are gone. you can't browse by folders either, so sorting your music on your harddrive is almost pointless. There's a lot of common sense features missing, and some things are just quirky too. like i haven't figured out how to delete the cue point. you press the cue button on a track, and your stuck with it, untill you move it somewhere else which is pretty aggrivating. whenever i want to use the touch function to go back to the beginning of the track i have to make sure my cue is at the beginning of the track, or simply not set a cue point at all. the hot cues are kind of retarded as well. they snap to the beat markers instead of the line, which can get pretty annoying. I have a strong case of buyers remorse from buying this thing. Everything it could of been-it wasn't. and everything it shouldn't of been it was. i'm not so sure the coders really got along side musicians to build this thing, and to be honest the programmers are at the fault of the failure of this device. the hardware is great stuff, and there's groups trying to get stanton to give up the source code, so the open source people can fix it, and make better software for it, but stanton hasn't given anyone the keys yet. don't know what they're protecting. there's no code in this thing worth stealing. good luck with your new device. for half a grand i expected a lot more.

Hey Thanks for a reply, I was starting to think that people only read on this forum and don't reply, I used the scs4dj for 5 hours solid last week, the cue point feature you mention was an issue, I didn't realise the unit did this, this unit is close to being very good but as you said lacks the basics, I must say 5 hours of looking at that little screen was starting to become an issue, I think I now need glasses, how about a little flip down screen a little bigger, or the ability to connect a monitor, what a great idea! My BIGGEST concern is adding and deleting songs to already created playlists, why cant we save the SAME playlist over and over again,( Without creating a new one ) is this such a big thing to develop, I don't think so, my DDS80 which is 6 years old has the ability to do this.

cheers mate