Gibson Brands Forums

Need Hummingbird TV Pickup

jab

I read about your Hummingbird TV shopping experience from the other thread. Congratulations. You picked a real winner. I have had mine since late December. It is simply the best guitar that I have ever owned. I have owned a lot more expensive boutique built guitars, but its the unique Hummingbird tone that my ears love to hear. I owned a very nice 2011 modern classic, but wanted the more responsive and warmer TV. Im glad I made the switch. Keep us posted as to what pickup you decide to go with. Im still hunting for one myself.

Recently purchased a new True Vintage Hummingbird and want to get a pickup installed. What do you suggest?

try a K&K mini... cheap and you might never want something else...

i have one in my J45TV... the only pickup that comes close to the natural sound of the guitar...

Ben

LR Baggs Anthem! Blending the two signals is awesome and it is really easy to use.

JM

I installed one in my Bird TV and I'm probably in the minority, but I don't like it. I tried the Lyric before it and that was worse for me. The sound of that mic (both have the same quality) is very trebly. I have to dial out a ton on the upper mids to get a usable sound. I wish it had more "body" on the lower mid-range, but I think they shelve it because it causes feedback.

I installed one in my Bird TV and I'm probably in the minority, but I don't like it. I tried the Lyric before it and that was worse for me. The sound of that mic (both have the same quality) is very trebly. I have to dial out a ton on the upper mids to get a usable sound. I wish it had more "body" on the lower mid-range, but I think they shelve it because it causes feedback.

Possibly has something to do wiith the system you plug into? Were you useing the Anthem SE,with the control of both PU's? I have used the Anthem in many different guitars and it is stellar. The K&K never worked for me. We all have different opinions. Trying them all is the only way to make an educated choice.

JM

The HB TV is my main gigging guitar and like with the others the combo that really works for me is Fishman Matrix Infinity together with the Fishman Aura specrum DI. Great tone to my ears and makes the HB TV sound like three guitars in one.

Here's a couple clips from a bar we play.

Possibly has something to do wiith the system you plug into? Were you useing the Anthem SE,with the control of both PU's? I have used the Anthem in many different guitars and it is stellar. The K&K never worked for me. We all have different opinions. Trying them all is the only way to make an educated choice.

JM

I have the Anthem SL and run it though a basic run-of-the-mill passive direct box (Live Wires) into either a Mackie Onyx or an Allen Heath board and through a full range PA. I've already dialed back some of the microphone but I think I need to dial out more. I wish I had the same experience as you... All I really wanted was to add a bit more natural sound vs a saddle piezo and sadly there are days I wish I threw in a Baggs Element and called it a day.

Archived