Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan's J45

Rosinante

Hi all I just joined the forum. Also I just got a new job and for the first time in my life will be able to afford a new Gibson acoustic. The J45 has always been a dream guitar for me so as soon as I get my first check I'm going to get myself a nice reward guitar. My question for Y'all is if you can help me determine what feature set J45 model would best match Bob Dylan's J45 that he has been using since the 90's. I really like the tone of this guitar and though I am no Bob I would like to get into the neighborhood tonewise. Would the TV model be my best bet? Or are there other models that would better suit my taste? Thank you!

Hi and Hello. Guess it would be a Modern Classic or Historic Collection.

The versions before the Standards made the last couple of years.

Welcome static111, you will enjoy the G-trip. Have you considered and are you aware of the J-45/50 Bob started out with. . .

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2013/5/3/1367580067215/Bob-Dylan-Portrait-With-A-010.jpg

I always figured Bob believed it was more the guitarist than the guitar. That said, I seem to remember reading somewhere that his stage guitar within the last decade or thereabouts was a J-45 Historic, which is pretty much the same as the "Early J-45," which was basically THE J-45 made in Bozeman before the marketing folks decided there needed to be multiple models of J-45 to hit different price points.

The J-45 listed in The Trading Post is a very nice guitar, and I think that's a very good price. And I have no affiliation with the seller, but I do have an '05 J-45 HC that is my all-time favorite guitar ever.

I always figured Bob believed it was more the guitarist than the guitar. That said, I seem to remember reading somewhere that his stage guitar within the last decade or thereabouts was a J-45 Historic, which is pretty much the same as the "Early J-45," which was basically THE J-45 made in Bozeman before the marketing folks decided there needed to be multiple models of J-45 to hit different price points.

The J-45 listed in The Trading Post is a very nice guitar, and I think that's a very good price. And I have no affiliation with the seller, but I do have an '05 J-45 HC that is my all-time favorite guitar ever.

Me also. Same guitar. Same feelings. Brilliant instrument. Wouldn't swap it for bobs

I know it's the player and not the guitar, but ever since I heard those acoustic songs in the Masked and Anonymous movie I've said to myself that someday I'm gonna get me one of those babies. I already have a Martin 000-15 custom that I love, I'm just wanting to add another to the collection now that I can afford to do so. I remember playing one in a guitar center a few years ago when I was cash poor and just feeling like WHOA! I can't even wait for that first real paycheck!

My question for Y'all is if you can help me determine what feature set J45 model would best match Bob Dylan's J45 that he has been using since the 90's.

He's had a bunch of J-45s during the '90s and since. He plays them for awhile until they get too beat-up for him -- which only takes him a few years -- then sends them back to Gibson telling them he needs a new one. Since they're just "regular" J-45s, there's no obvious way to tell them apart.

-- Bob R

He's had a bunch of J-45s during the '90s and since. He plays them for awhile until they get too beat-up for him -- which only takes him a few years -- then sends them back to Gibson telling them he needs a new one. Since they're just "regular" J-45s, there's no obvious way to tell them apart.

Ahaaa alriiiiiight, , , , can I ask : What happens to the ones sent back, , , , ?!?

Ahaaa alriiiiiight, , , , can I ask : What happens to the ones sent back, , , , ?!?

Most are disposed of, but Hogeye rescued one that was in relatively good shape. A bunch of us who have been to Bozeman, for a Homecoming or some other reason, have had a chance to play it.

-- Bob R

Most are disposed of, but Hogeye rescued one that was in relatively good shape. A bunch of us who have been to Bozeman, for a Homecoming or some other reason, have had a chance to play it.

Yowza - let's hope he is a fan, , , guess it's well played in.

In all the articles and interviews I've read over the years - and that's been goin' on since the mid-70's - I never once heard Dylan talk about instruments.

Special ones, ones that meant something particular or made him do and write this or that.

He spoke of songwriting, singing, playing, performing and lots of other stuff, but never to my limited knowledge went into neither electric og acoustic guitars.

I know he went though a LOT during those many years and I've heard/seen more than a few of them live - still never got the impression they meant anything precious.

Might soon stand corrected here as I spent my life doin' other thing than reading Bob-stuff, but. . .

Now there is a pretty fancy signature model coming up as far I recall. Let's assume he holds some affection for that one, , , and brings it on stage once in a while.

Oooh, wait a minute, , , maybe there were some heartbeats for the early 45/50. . .

Yowza - let's hope he is a fan, , , guess it's well played in.

In all the articles and interviews I've read over the years - and that's been goin' on since the mid-70's - I never once heard Dylan talk about instruments.

Special ones, ones that meant something particular or made him do and write this or that.

He spoke of songwriting, singing, playing, performing and lots of other stuff, but never to my limited knowledge went into neither electric og acoustic guitars.

I know he went though a LOT during those many years and I've heard/seen more than a few of them live - still never got the impression they meant anything precious.

Might soon stand corrected here as I spent my life doin' other thing than reading Bob-stuff, but. . .

Now there is a pretty fancy signature model coming up as far I recall. Let's assume he holds some affection for that one, , , and brings it on stage once in a while.

Oooh, wait a minute, , , maybe there were some heartbeats for the early 45/50. . .

He may not seem attached to his guitars, Em7, but he certainly knew what he wanted!

BluesKing777.

Archived