Gibson Brands Forums

Rhoda, my latest project.

Searcy

I'm not an animal rights activist. I have ZERO love for Peta and the like. But I do work with animal rescue groups from time to time as every pet dog I have had over the years has been a rescue dog.

So it was that I was called a few week ago and asked if I could run over to a park and pick up a dog someone had dumped and transport her to a local animal rescue farm. "Sure", I said.

When I get there I find a very different store than the one I was told. The "park" is actually a little rest stop on the side of a country highway with a picnic table and a trash can. After talking to a few locals there I learn the "Rhoda" the "dumped pet puppy dog" is actually wild and has been living in the woods across the creek from the picnic spot for over a year. Folks leave food out for her but she won't come within 25 feet of a human.

50AA6F0F-30BD-4E63-9C25-A912018B42B6_zpsiqictufi.jpg

And so it is that I have now spent a number of afternoons sitting in the woods talking to a stray dog for hours.

92159966-0D50-4926-9827-2A68B64C2EB2_zpsktvvglsb.jpg

After the first week she started getting more comfortable with me being around.

D7D0E79D-107A-46EF-9643-B22CB82A231F_zpsummobnh2.jpg

I would take little snacks like chicharrones or chicken nuggets or stinky caned dog-food. She learned that any place I had sat would have goodies there when I left.

After about a week of her getting more comfortable with me around she finally let her guard down enough to do this...

th_D834D241-7C30-4CE0-8224-A1D972514DD4_zpsimknabkp.jpg

^^^This is a video^^^

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're a good guy Sercy!msp_thumbup.gif My wife & I live in secluded area and over the past 20 years have rescued several "dumped" dogs - from pups to 12 year-olds (they seem to find us). We found one puppy with a broken leg tied to a telephone pole! We try to find homes for them but if we can't, we'll keep 'em. Had 4 of them a few years back. I think I like dogs better than some people...

Do you know what's better about dogs than wives? The later you come home - the happier they are to see you!msp_biggrin.gif

Good luck with Rhoda - she's a beauty!

Awesome Searcy [thumbup] She looks like a very nice dog once she gets over the fear. Hope you can find a nice home for her.

We adopted a "Rescue Dog" about 1 1/2 years ago. He's really good, but we can still see some "abandoned" tendencies in his behavior. He is really protective of his food. Probably comes from having to compete with the rest of his litter. He was found on the road side, alone, with the rest of his litter all dead.

Good man Searcy.

I am a huge animal lover.

I found a 3 month old pup some one had dropped off in a park years back, and I took her home.

I had to take her straight to the vet, as she had 107 ticks on her. That vet bill in itself was close to $900.00, but I never regretted it.

She was a great friend, but I lost her to cancer after only 8 years.

I hope yours finds a good home, I think its great that you care enough to help.

Yup as all have said.. Your a good man [thumbup]

I love animals and seeing them being dumped like that and all the nasty cruel things people do to animals really makes me angry, almost more than anything else. So you move up the respect o meter even more [thumbup] [thumbup] =D> =D>

We have really good animal charities and organisations over here, you rarely see a stray dog anywhere. Sadly they are needed though.. The RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) have adverts on TV about the state they find some pets in.. I cant even watch it, just breaks my heart.

She is a beauty, Searcy!

My husband and I have rescued many abandoned cats. I think we have actually only adopted 3 from our local shelters. One was a stray my husband found at work and fed her his lunch to lure her into his truck so she could be safe and (relatively) warm until he was done work ( it was pouring rain and 30°F outside when he found her). Another was being neglected by our neighbor and was left out in 100° weather and was barely breathing when we brought her in. Yet another we found on our vacation in Ocean City, Maryland at our hotel. She was not even a year old. The owner of the hotel let us keep her in our room overnight (we found her on our last day and its a no pets hotel that is only open from late April to the beginning of October). Told us he had seen her around and that if he had to call Animal Control she would be taken to the county shelter and put down immediately because they were filled beyond capacity. We drove 2.5 hours home with this cat who almost killed us when something freaked her out. She is our Crabby Kitty, but we love her. Our last one is one that wandered into our yard. She was extremely malnourished (you could see every bone in her body and she was almost totally bald). For months she would not let us approach her. When we would try she would run and hide. One day she was laying on our car trailer so we approached her with food. As she ate, my husband slowly sat down next to her and started to pet her. When we knew she was calm, we picked her up and brought her in. She is now obsessively attached to my husband to the point that she wails when she can't see him. We can't have kids so they are our kids. We also help out the local Basset Hound Rescue during their annual fundraiser.

You're a good man to take the time to care for this poor puppy who has no one. :)

Well I'm not much of a believer in the great beyond but if it turns out there is a great score keeper out there than I'll take what ever points I can get.

10154231_780234975333769_4654282564574418687_n.jpg

EVOL, regarding my comments about NOT being an animal activist, let me see if I can be more clear. I'm having to work with some animal activists on this rescue and I don't see the world the way they do. At one point last week another little dog showed up at Rhoda's camp. A very young pup that was clearly being cared for. He was well fed and clean and had a nice new collar. Most likely he belonged to one of the local country homes. This is a very rural area and that's just how a lot of folks raise dogs around here. I don't agree with it but that's how it is. Foolishly I posted this picture to the rest of the folks working to bring Rhoda in.

10151385_779311055426161_8390136411297277815_n.jpg

The little dog really seemed to make Rhoda feel more at easy. Well, all the little animal rights folks lost their minds. They literally could not sleep at all knowing that little dog was out there so the next day they decided the dog also needed to be captured, taken away from those country rednecks and given to a good home. I told them it might be a better idea to just talk to the locals and tell them that we were trying to capture a wild dog in the area and could they please not let their dog roam. Nope... not good enough. Not even gonna try it. Clearly I was new to all this and didn't know better. They came down and snatched up the little white dog and hauled it off to a barn where 70 other rescue dogs are being caged by a lady who says she doesn't have enough money to feed them all or enough hours in the day to exercise them. After watching her little buddy get hauled off by these nuts it took me two days to get Rhoda to come back to the creek bank. Now she run away every time she sees a leash.

And don't even get me started on PETA.

Those people are animal activists. I just like dogs. Hopefully I can catch her soon and deliver her to a very nice lady who has agreed to look after her till we find her a permanent home. Then I can leave these dog snatchers to their obsessive little cause.

Unbelievable! The best thing to do is to run an ad in the paper and craigs list. Someone is looking for their puppy. We call local vets, run ads, check lost ads, and post pics at the local hardware store - that's all free, and it usually works. I can't understand why the PETA people wouldn't want to find the owner. Dogs occasionally get loose and wander off - even from good homes. We tried to find the owners of a beautiful (and huge) Mastiff that was hanging around our property. Had him for almost 2 weeks and almost adopted him out, but we took him to a vet who found a ID chip on him. It turned out he lived less than a mile away! His family was on vacation, and the dog sitter didn't do a very good job...

Stay away from those PETA idiots Searcy - they might want to check your freezer for steaks!

Archived