Gibson Brands Forums

Rhoda, my latest project.

Searcy

Just to be clear, I am not to my knowledge working with anyone from PETA . Nor would I ever. The folks that I'm working with, there are about five of them, are all local rescue operators or volunteers. They're all very well-intentioned but many of them have been at this too long and have seen too much cruelty and neglect.

As for me keeping Rhoda, I'll admit I've grown rather attached to her but I already have two dogs and I'm not sure that would be the best environment for her to learn to trust humans. I found a very nice lady with a fenced in yard is willing to take her in for a few months while I make up my mind.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, we volunteer for a rescue group and not all rescues and shelters are alike. In our neck of the woods, if a dog is found by someone and turned in to them, a good faith effort is done to find the rightful owners by scanning for a microchip and posting ads on FB and local vet offices. By law in NJ, a shelter or rescue group is forbidden to adopt out an animal for two weeks so that the owners have a chance to claim them. Also, not to be an "activist", most counties have leash laws for the animal's safety so that they are not struck by a car or taken by someone with not so good intentions. Some rescues do have strict adoption rules : (e.g. fenced in yard, animal must be spayed or neutered prior to adoption), but these rules are to try to assure that the animal doesn't end up in the same situation or worse.

I don't necessarily think Rhoda is afraid of the leash, but if the other dog was taken in a chaotic way (being chased) and that could have spooked her.

Keep up the good work, though, she will calm down and will come back. It just sucks that the other people undermined your progress.

Ok, so a few days ago we had some bad storms blow through the area. I decided to go check on Rhoda's camp the next day and see how she held up.

Here is how she greeted me when I got there.

I asked some of the other folks working with her and so far I am the only one she does this with. I'm trying to get her used to having my hand on her but that's not working yet.

This is as close as we every get once she calms down. We did go for a run through the woods after this. She was right there beside me the whole way.

I'm heading down there again this afternoon.

I usually don't post in this section, mainly just read. My interest revolves around acoustic guitars and music, but I'm very glad to have found this thread. This is really inspiring and makes me think that maybe there's still some hope for us. Trying to save this dog is a supreme act of kindness. God Bless you for doing this........And I hope the pup with the collar is returned home where it belongs. The video and the pics are fantastic. Very, very cool....Thank you. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I'm surprised I checked-in again...

I get way too emotional over my pets, and I get way too attached to them...

Every time I see a cat or dog story it just boils up inside of me getting me all balled-up over my history of pets through my whole life and my current pet that I'm so attached-to that it's like a curse... I can't help myself. Since a very young boy I always thought as I got older I would mature and harden and I wouldn't get so emotionally invested and so deeply affected by my pets, and I've only found the opposite to be true. I far more keenly feel a deep and spiritual connection over life with my pets and I get too emotional over it all... It's harder on me now than when I was a young child...

God Bless you Searcy!

I don't want to look until she's safely in your home because just as with my own pets, my mind goes to the fear and worry over worst case scenario and I'm scared to death something will happen before you get her safely in your home to be part of your family... I hope that happens soon!

I'm glad there are people like you in this world, it gives me hope, but I have only so much worry to give before I dry-up and I don't want to weep over these existential and epic circumstances in life, when I weep over my own pets enough to cry me a river... (sorry, I just had visions of Joe Cocker with Maddogs & Englishmen run thru my head) I'm not being flippant or facetious, I'm being serious...

I keep coming into this thread with gripping fear in my heart worried about possible tragic outcomes... I need to see the positive & happy ending or I'll just bust...

I pray the win comes sooner than later!!!

Now I gotta go hug my cat and think about guitars...

So I went to see Rhoda the other day and this happened.

I could have caught her right then but I was on my way to work and had no plan for where to take her. I decided to get with the others in the group and put in a better effort the next day.

As anyone with eyeballs can see she is very pregnent.

But the next day she was caught by one of the other rescue people! She has already been to the vet and has then been moved to a foster home to welp the pups which are expected in the next 48 hours.

I'll get some more pictures up as I can.

She's hauling 9 pups.

10330253_10152343107705219_1017421662486016614_n.jpg

She has a heart murmur, she tested positive for heart worms and 2 tick born illnesses (Ehrlichia Canis & Canine Anaplasmosis). She's expected to welp the pups in the next 48 hours. Right now she's at the home of a very nice lady who has agreed to foster her and the pups. I'm hoping they let me see her soon.

Awww - I'm so glad she's safe and will have the pups in safety. I hope they will be ok. Please post photos of the puppies if you can, and thank you for taking such good care of her. It's because of you that she may trust people now.

God Bless you and I hope like hell all the stuff she's facing will be fully treatable when the pups are born so she will be OK.

I know the treatment for heartworm is a gamble and can require multiple attempts to be successful or it can/will be fatal...

Glad we're headed in the right direction for a potential happy ending/outcome...

I hope the rest of the situation works out!

I will give some prayers!

Were still waiting to see if mothers day is Rhodas mothers day. Any hour now. Here is a video I made for my wife's website so she can do some fundraising to pay the vet bill for Rhoda and the pups.

Were still waiting to see if mothers day is Rhodas mothers day. Any hour now. Here is a video I made for my wife's website so she can do some fundraising to pay the vet bill for Rhoda and the pups.

Please post the fundraising page when you can. I know a lot of animal lovers.

Thanks guys. She's on her way to the vet again today. I'm working on raising money to pay the vet bill but I'm getting flak from the animal rescue people (really just one person). As soon as I have some more info on all that I'll post it here.

Archived