Gibson Brands Forums

Rhoda, my latest project.

Searcy

Anything recent on Rhoda and family?

Well let's start by saying thank you to you and Karloff and anyone else who gave for the donations! We have reached $405. Not too bad for a few weeks work. We still have a few more weeks to go in raising cash.

The pups were just starting to open their eyes last time I was there.

10417513_500668683395630_5845461392564547623_n.jpg

I plan on seeing them again on Friday. I'll try to get some new pictures and video. Once the pups start eating puppy food they will spend less time nursing and Rhoda will get stronger again.

Speaking of Rhoda, she is learning from her foster mother Judy to walk on a leash, something she used to be terrified of. Once she is totally done nursing the puppies we can start her on antibiotics for the two tick-born illnesses (Ehrlichia Canis & Canine Anaplasmosis).Once she is free of those ailments we can start treatment for the heart worms. Every week that passes the worms do more damage but we have faith that she will pull through. She's young and strong.

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/36p4/save-rhoda-her-eight-puppies

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent a little time with Rhoda and the pups last Friday. I shot this video of my friend Karen who is also working on this project with me and Alicia and Judy. Karen is an expert on dog rescue and animal health. She is a former animal control director who now works on these types of rescues. She's the one who called me about helping out back in April. She's also a fantastic jazz singer who is married to the drummer in a metal band. Good people.

Here she outlines what Rhoda's health issues are. I cut in a lot of gratuitous, cute puppy shots too. The backing track is a total improve played on my Dano Baritone.

What a face on that one..

she looks like our Buddy Searcy,,

(Buddy was my son's dog that he had for 15 years.. we got him as a puppy and he was a total love. best dog we ever had)

I hope she pulls through ok.

hats off to you brother. you are a kind caring soul.

Cute puppies Clint. Have you been able to determine the breeds yet? Looks like there may be a little Beagle in them. [biggrin]

For some reason the breed of these dogs has been the subject of much speculation with the ladies that I'm working with on this. Their guesses include everything from beagle to St. Bernard to Rhodesian Ridgeback. To me they look like a bunch of yard dogs. I don't think will really be able to tell until they get some size do them. Even then they'll probably just be mutts.

Beautiful pups. I know you want Rhoda, but are you going to keep one of the pups ?

I already have two dogs. If I take on a third one it wouldn't be without a great deal of consideration. I don't want to over obligate myself so there's just no chance that I'll be taking one of the pups.

I have not ruled out taking Rhoda but we're still a long way from weening the pups.

I already have two dogs. If I take on a third one it wouldn't be without a great deal of consideration. I don't want to over obligate myself so there's just no chance that I'll be taking one of the pups.

I have not ruled out taking Rhoda but we're still a long way from weening the pups.

i know what you mean. I just have 1 dog. takes a few $'s to take care of him.

• 1 month later...

Time for an update. The pups are all health and applications for adoption are being taken as I write this. They are going fast.

They have been given temporary names as is the usual case for these sort of things.

Here are a few of them.

10311785_515412085254623_3876534468278121980_n.jpg

10491256_515415778587587_8486130285395035005_n.jpg

10511679_516897601772738_5608189793953877485_o.jpg

10492314_517795211682977_284079267652193648_n.jpg

10506863_520056321456866_5989187734478462062_o.jpg

Hats off to you Searcy.

I am a huge animal lover <kind of over board at times> and I know that it takes a speacial person to take on the role you have done, and for a homeless dog no-less.

I really hope they all find good homes.

Keep the pictures coming, as they are great.

This is one of the best threads on the forum.

I have gotten some more donations from you guys and I thank you!! We have covered the bills for the pups and next will be the bills for Rhoda. Now that her pups are weaned and heading to new homes we can start looking at treating her.

Judy, the lady that fostered Rhoda and the pups while they were being weaned has fulfilled her obligation with gusto. She's now ready to take back her basement. This means finding a new foster home for Rhoda while she undergoes treatment for her many ailments.

10448612_522808507848314_6627261759912365058_o.jpg

Soooooooo...... She's now in my back yard. She wants to run around and be a pup but she's not allowed to so for the next few months are has to be waled on a lead and kept in a pen until she gets the all clear from the vet on the heartworms.

Hats off to you Searcy.

I am a huge animal lover <kind of over board at times> and I know that it takes a speacial person to take on the role you have done, and for a homeless dog no-less.

I really hope they all find good homes.

Keep the pictures coming, as they are great.

This is one of the best threads on the forum.

Thanks BRC. I haven't been around the forum much lately so I hope I'm not being a jerk but this project and all the other summer jobs are keeping me away from the computer. I do have a cool bass project going that I'll post as soon as I get some more parts together.

Rhoda has lived all her life outside. For the last 2 months she has lived in Judy's loving but dark and quite basement. Being in a house is a bit life being on Mars to Rhoda. She investigates the noises on the TV. She dons't know why she can't jump up on the furniture. But she's a smart girl and an eager learner.

10497427_522825127846652_7683496094066044780_o.jpg

Man.. full respect to you for doing such an amazing thing...

And no.. man you are out there living real life and helping out where you don't even have too... far from jerk behaviour [thumbup]

Oh by the way.. I know you like em, did you check the new DC Classic coming

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/113937-omg-omg-omg-my-perfect-gibson/

awesome Searcy..

I recall a while back your were trying to figure out the breed mix for her.

Based on a few of your pictures I see here, she sure looks like she has a lot of ridgeback in her.

my sons and his wife have a pure bred. Have to say,, the resemblance I see is more than convincing.

the absence of the "ridge" isn't really key, Buddy (recently passed away) was a mix (lab / Ridgeback), and he had a bit of one, but not much.

and he was definitely looking more ridgeback than Lab.

awesome Searcy..

I recall a while back your were trying to figure out the breed mix for her.

Based on a few of your pictures I see here, she sure looks like she has a lot of ridgeback in her.

my sons and his wife have a pure bred. Have to say,, the resemblance I see is more than convincing.

the absence of the "ridge" isn't really key, Buddy (recently passed away) was a mix (lab / Ridgeback), and he had a bit of one, but not much.

and he was definitely looking more ridgeback than Lab.

i have to agree with you. i was thinking the same thing

10527029_819478664742733_318157195_o_zpsa87ba225.jpg

10533987_819478778076055_1294236471_o_zpsaa498b4d.jpg

Most folks who see her think she is a Rhodesian Ridgeback or at least has a lot of Ridgeback in her. That's where the rescue ladies took the name "Rhoda" from. She is 70+ pounds and when she decides she's not going to walk on the leash it's not easy to change her mind. She is due to start treatments for her health issue this week or next week. Once this starts she has to stay calm. She will be kept in her pen which she seems to like very much and walked on a leash. This should take about 3 months to get an all clear from the vet.

Archived