Gibson Brands Forums

New whammy for your stop bar in the works.

Searcy

"The newest of Floyd's innovations, the FRX is a flawless surface-mounting retro-fit requiring no routing or manipulation of any sort on your guitar—a direct swap for the Tune-O-Matic and stopbar type bridge system, with a locking nut which you can simply swap with your truss rod cover. Available in a variety of nut sizes, the tremolo kit contains the bridge, locking nut, and all hardware necessary for installation. Look for the FRX Tremolo System in early 2014."

a80c51d434b440430b447895c499c0af.jpg

http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos/6:frx-series

"Hate that full-bodied tone? Tired of all that unwieldly sustain? Can't be bothered with alternate tunings and don't care for double-stop bends that stay in tune? Buy the new FRX from Floyd Rose! Your parts drawer will love it!"

-Ryan

I see a lot of Stetsbar ideas in this new Floyd.

/Start Rant

The only thing I dislike about the system, which I dislike about all Floyd systems, is how they lock. A tiny 1/4" length of string gets pinched between some rubberized block and the inside of the saddle. You just hear the string; it's not going through a block with any significant mass, or through the body wood.

Floyds are the only piece of hardware that I believe make woods insignificant. They have this in-built EQ that makes everything you bolt them to sound the same. And that "same" sound is an inverse V on a graphic EQ; weak bass, weak highs, tons of mid, specifically upper-mid.

/End Rant

-Ryan

"Hate that full-bodied tone? Tired of all that unwieldly sustain? Can't be bothered with alternate tunings and don't care for double-stop bends that stay in tune? Buy the new FRX from Floyd Rose! Your parts drawer will love it!"

-Ryan

That! [thumbup]

Not that I have any real experience with a Floyd Rose or this new contraption... I've never liked any tremolo systems, Hell I don't even like the Strat Whammy bar bridge/system! I hated it when I was a Strat disciple in my youth!

The only thing I found it good for was clipping strings!

The below image shows a vintage 80's Schaller Floyd Rose that doesn't require any routing. Once in a great while they show up on Ebay, but you can expect to pay about $500..... It sorta resembles a Kahler.

I do like the Floyd Rose, but I have to adjust my heavy hand a bit.... The Kahler trem will always be my favorite, but the Floyd Rose stays in tune a bit better.

floydpaul1.jpg

I might give it a try.......

I have locking trems (1 x vintage Schaller-made Fender System 1 on an 80's Japanese Squier Strat, retro fitted with Semour Duncan Quarterpounders and 1 x Edge system on an Ibanez Jem 505) on 2 guitars out of a pool of 15 or so working guitars.

When I need a guitar that will put up with some heavy handed abuse of the vibrato, I reach for one of those guys. This is usually for a pretty hard rock application and with the amount of gain I am generally using any concerns around tone are pretty academic. Especially with my middle aged, tinnitus suffering, 1 x perforated ear drum, cloth ears.

Rock it!!!

Manse

I might give it a try.......

I have locking trems (1 x vintage Schaller-made Fender System 1 on an 80's Japanese Squier Strat, retro fitted with Semour Duncan Quarterpounders and 1 x Edge system on an Ibanez Jem 505) on 2 guitars out of a pool of 15 or so working guitars.

When I need a guitar that will put up with some heavy handed abuse of the vibrato, I reach for one of those guys. This is usually for a pretty hard rock application and with the amount of gain I am generally using any concerns around tone are pretty academic. Especially with my middle aged, tinnitus suffering, 1 x perforated ear drum, cloth ears.

Rock it!!!

Manse

I just watched a video demo of the FRX system and it seems like a nice unit. But I'm a bit apprehensive about installing these type of tremolo systems on a guitar that wasn't initially designed for a tremolo, which is why I'm now considering the Les Paul Axcess.

I just watched a video demo of the FRX system and it seems like a nice unit. But I'm a bit apprehensive about installing these type of tremolo systems on a guitar that wasn't initially designed for a tremolo, which is why I'm now considering the Les Paul Axcess.

I am very, very tempted by the Axcess - nothing wrong with that elegant sculpted heel on the neck joint, or with a bit of a belly cut, for us gents of a certain vintage...

I am very, very tempted by the Axcess - nothing wrong with that elegant sculpted heel on the neck joint, or with a bit of a belly cut, for us gents of a certain vintage...

LOL.... No kidding..... The Gibson Custom Lite I just purchased has been a god send.... Especially for those 3-4 hour shows...lol.... I recently played that guitar for the whole 3.5 hour set, and I had to re-tune only one time.... That guitar is a work horse, and it has the buckle rash to prove it... [scared]

Great idea.

wish those had been around when the previous owner routed my explorer for a trem.

I have two guitars with kahlers and one with a Floyd and honestly have never had tuning issues with them. I have taken the time to set them up well and can't complain about the results.

I'm kind of "over" the whole trem thing.......not much of a "shredder" anymore, but I'm glad to see this out there for people who want one so that they won't have to destroy some nice guitars just to find out if it's for them.

I look forward to a "version 2"..........It's kind of ugly......not that any trems are beautiful, but I think a streamlined one would be nicer.

NHTom

I don't think that ultimate trem has been made yet. I still think that the knife edge type (Floyd) has a friction issue. I like where Ibanez has gone with the roller bearings, which seems a better way. Has anyone used a trem that is superb? What make? I find the Floyd bulky and I think it could be made much smaller. I suppose cost is an issue, but there would be a high end market for a great one.

Archived