Gibson Brands Forums

PR-200 String Spacing

walterlane

I just replaced the nut on my PR-200; it was damaged by a fall. During this operation, I measured the nut width at 1 and 11/16"; however, the string spacing was 1 and 1/2". Isn't that string spacing quite wide for that nut width or does that happen a lot? And is a 1 and 1/2" string spacing unusual for an Epiphone acoustic? Over the eleven years that I've had this guitar, I've noticed the neck is very playable; it's generally a great neck with a nice hefty, somehow "Gibson" feel to it. But I've never taken the time to measure the string spacing.

By the way, I used a Tusq nut. It is, I guess, a generic type for no particular name brand guitar; it just said 'jumbo acoustic' in the describtion. It is a 1 3/4" wide nut but the only one I could find quickly with 1 1/2" string spacing. It fit like a glove with only a very light sanding to remove a couple of rought bits sticking to it left over from manufacture. Because its slightly wider than the original nut it sticks out a slight degree on the top side but not to the point of posing a problem.

Broke the truss rod cover trying to remove it out of the way, the one that had Gibson imprinted on it. Shame.

Walterlane,

I don't know the exact spec. for the spacing on a J-200. I have however replaced the nut on several Epiphone guitars, both acoustic and electric. I always replace with a Graphtech nut which is labeled specific for Epiphone. It has the correct spacing for all Epiphone's with the 1 11/16" nut width.

Faded.....

Archived