Gibson Brands Forums

Sharp fret ends?

onewilyfool

he starts off by mentioning humidity, but then goes straight into filing. the correct answer is to humidify the guitar. this will fix the problem and keep the frets from being to short when the board has more moisture.

And then there's the case for necks with binding..........

Well….one of my guitars had a shrinking binding around the fretboard exposing the edges. So , humidifying the guitar would not help in this case. So I had to take it to a local guy to fix it. Now, I think with the right tools, I could probably do it myself!!! (But NOT on an expensive guitar…lol)

Humidifying the guitar is a great thing to do but will do very little for the neck. Get a high quality fret board oil and follow directions and while you are at it apply the oil to the bridge as well. If you do this as recommended you will have no need to file any frets or worry about the binding. Remember, the fret board and bridge are raw wood completely exposed to the elements and they need to be protected.

Humidifying the guitar is a great thing to do but will do very little for the neck. Get a high quality fret board oil and follow directions and while you are at it apply the oil to the bridge as well. If you do this as recommended you will have no need to file any frets or worry about the binding. Remember, the fret board and bridge are raw wood completely exposed to the elements and they need to be protected.

great point! i can't believe i forgot this while typing my earlier post!

I recently played a new HD-28 at GC that's been there for a while and the fret ends nearly cut my left hand. Very uncomfortable to play. Trust me, there's NO humidifying care in that acoustic room. Even here in the south, I still use a very small amount of FretDoctor once a year on my fretboards and bridges. During the winter in particular when using central heat, the humidity in my home can get below 20%, requiring some serious humidifying.

DC

Archived