Gibson Brands Forums

Help, specs for my 1982 Gibson Explorer

joenobodyyet

Hey I have a 1982 mahogany gibson explorer and I was wondering what type of pickups are in it? They are gold plated (although they are wearing) but I heard they could be worth a decent amount. The guitar has all gold hardware but does have a few dings. Otherwise it's in great condition. Any idea how much I should expect to get? If anyone knows any specs on this model I would appreciate it! I bought it a few years ago but have since acquired a Les Paul and prefer those over the explorer. Thanks

Serial number 83492591 made in USA

Hey I have a 1982 mahogany gibson explorer and I was wondering what type of pickups are in it? They are gold plated (although they are wearing) but I heard they could be worth a decent amount. The guitar has all gold hardware but does have a few dings. Otherwise it's in great condition. Any idea how much I should expect to get? If anyone knows any specs on this model I would appreciate it! I bought it a few years ago but have since acquired a Les Paul and prefer those over the explorer. Thanks

Serial number 83492591 made in USA

I have a 79 that sounds like yours.

8431136819_1f695635ca_b.jpg

Mine has the "Super Humbuckers" designed by Bill Lawrence I believe. They look like this on the back.

9413699991_001b9f2e27_b.jpg

There's a pickup for sale for $149 on Ebay right now if that's any indication of what they might be worth. I've seen guitars like this in original condition and good shape going for $5000 at Guitar Center but that was some time ago when the market was stronger.

Archived