Gibson Brands Forums

UPDATE !!! - 'LAST MINUTE' - Gibson J-200

Mariusz

Sorry, I'm confused. My SJ200 has a very slight lift -1/16th of an inch - at one of the points of the pick guard. This is a 2004 guitar, prior to the TV, etc differentiation of types. The pickguard is engraved and painted on the surface. It has the flower or carnation line drawing in white, tan yellow, etc. as in the picture of yours in the EBay listing. I noticed the small lift when I first purchased my guitar (less than a year old from a person who only played it at church on Sundays and decided he wanted a Martin), it would stick when I held it down for a minute, but come undone soon after. I inserted a very thin piece of double sided tape, but that didn't help, so I've left it and don't notice it anymore. It's only the small tip if one of the points. A few years ago, Gibson developed a process to make these engraved/hand painted PGs with a clear surface coating so the artwork won't scratch off. The natural (S)J 200 shown In the EBay listing in excellent condition is a perfect example of that guitar. You should not worry about the small amount of lift, and completely ignore the uninformed sellers suggestion that the winner should replace the guard with something else. That guard is an iconic part if that model. Don't try peeling it off or you'll make it worse.

Thank you very much for this information and opinion on my guitar. That's very nice of you. In my SJ200 it looks very similar. The pickguard raises similar height but on a bit longer distance than in yours. But I could get used to it and in no way doesn't bother me while playing, nor does it affect the sound.

In any case, I wasn't going to peel off or change for anything else, because now it looks just beautiful. Out of curiosity unglued just a bit more looking at a small angle to see what's underneath. Then I pressed it back and I'll never do anything there.

Indeed, the guitar looks and sounds great and this is for me the most important and that is why I bought it, however bringing it to Europe cost me a few hundred dollars more (dutys,taxes and similar chicanes..)

Mariusz

You may know Mariusz.

What does a 1965 Fender Stratocaster in Olympic White go for these days?

This is a question on separate topic and depends on many factors. I assume that you want to sell this guitar. The first and most important is the originality of all parts and finish, ev. repairs and modifications and condition of guitar, because it's a collectors item. But I don't know anything about it. The second is the way of sale. There is a saying that every thing is worth as much as people want to pay for it ;)

IMHO the best way is to make good photos inside and outside, describe all precisely and put on ebay in a normal auction from 1$ .

Preview the list of pending auctions of Strato on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=3&_sacat=0&_nkw=fender+stratocaster&rt=nc

Then check on the left side the box of completed/sold auctions : http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=3&_sacat=0&_nkw=fender+stratocaster&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Try to find similar to your and check the price (compare the pics and description):

Here you have a similar Strato: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1964-Fender-Stratocaster-Olympic-White-/111298038908?pt=Guitar&hash=item19e9e14c7c&nma=true&si=n8tGNNpY7m6wTx2lbLXk%252Bawv5bk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's indeed a year older but it is also so-called pre-CBS, which are estimated quite high. The advantage of your guitar is its finish - olympic white, considered as rare, which is valuated by collectors a bit higher as eg. sunburst.

IMHO if you'll do all this correct and the guitar is original and in good condition, you should sell it for at least 10k $

If you have any further questions - please let me know on PW. Thank you.

Best

Mariusz

Archived