Gibson Brands Forums

Please Gibson, make the MCK a SEPERATE Knob!

Alouf

This Pull-up push-down manoeuvre is really awkward, and once in the up position, the MCK knob becomes really jerky and there is friction when you turn it.

Everyone seems to be having this issue. I even have it on my GOR.

I would like to suggest a separate knob for the MCK that you DON'T have to pull in order to use, and it should be smooth as butter to turn and manipulate.

Also, another suggestion which has been asked earlier, is an LCD on the side of the guitar instead of that flimsy display on the tiny MCK.

I agree on not having a push pull. But I believe Gibson didn't do so because it will change the layout of the guitar, which will look a little bit different as a Les Paul.

Maybe just a switch that when it is activated change the option done by the knob? To do so, a new position can be added to the mic switch.

But I believe Gibson didn't do so because it will change the layout of the guitar' date=' which will look a little bit different as a Les Paul. .[/quote']

The question is whether we need 2 volume + 2 tone pots with a circuitry like Chameleon... So in other words perhaps we could do away with 2 volume pots and use one spot in the non-pull-up MCK... The tones tuned in through MCK would then give us control over volume balance etc. Just a thought.

Flying V = One Master Tone tone control

We probably could live with one Master passive tone Control - use the Neck Tone pot as Master Tone Pot.

Use an Encoder with detents where our current MCK is. Display is a compromise - but adding a side LCD = $60 cost = $275 raise in consumer retail price.

I have a stash of Yamaha "Push-Push" pots - used as coil dividers on the original 1970's Yamaha SG2000 ( Carlos Santana's Axe before PRS)

I have been able to Modify these Yamaha Pots for various "multi" functions, even modified them for use as Momentary "S1", S2" Roland GK-3 control functions on Vol Pots.

The current Tronical PC board for PEQ is the principal item "in the way" which restricts many other switching options.

And there are many folks who hate the look of too many pots / controls on a Guitar.

123.jpg

If you thought they were *****ing about a chambered body . . . .

I think it's better to conserve as much of the power as possible. Wouldn't a side LCD, like on that Performance guitar, take too much power away? Also, I think the reality is that the MCK would mostly be used as a tone knob. It is true that you may want to retune in the middle of your sets of songs. But, that is realitively easy to do with the present MCK (especially when you already know what you're going to tune to next). If you need to change a string quickly during your sets, and you forget how to do the MCK for it, these powertuners can be turned by hand to get the string in right away. Then, you're back to using MCK to tune.

All the other, somewhat complex functions, again, in REALITY are mostly done at home when you have time and inclination.

Here is what I am thinking. If the extra knob bothers people, why no make it a push-down/bounce back type of a button?

Like this you just push it down to activate MCk, and it bounces right back to position, and you push-it back again to re-engage tone. Although since it will not necessarily be a mechanical switch, it might make the activation mechanism a bit more complex.

Alouf,

I think you are on the right track. I was thinking of something like this too but still leaving the MCK alone. Let it be a dedicated knob. Then find a way to make the most out of the other 3 knobs. I am thinking the solution is in overlaying... See the tuner design on the following link :

http://blog.califaudio.com/2008/03/n-tune-volume-knob-guitar-tuner.html

So I'm thinking you could have Volume & tone for each pup overlayed like this. top part volume, lower part tone. you still have 1 spare pot!!! Why not separate Chamemelon & Tuning features of MCK? So one MCK controls tunings presets and the other Chameleon and all other stuff.

Anyways, I am sure the options can be considered and a better layout can come out without necessarily adding a 5th or 6th knob location. Answer is going vertical for volume & tone which are much simpler regular pots... No pushing & pulling then.

Hear us out Gibson! If you go this route for Robot 3 I sure would buy an upgrade...

Archived