Gibson Brands Forums

Where did you learn to play guitar?

CJCifuentes

Grew up in the 50s on the streets of Chicago..major infulences were Howlin Wolf,Blind Melon,Louis Reys. 1st electric guitar(harmony)when I was nine.

Took formal lessons in the early 60s..but learned what music was all about through my uncles band friends. Played with several Garage Bands but really

started taking music serious in 1964. Sold more guitars/amps than I can count..tryed to keep the best. Have been involved in studio/back up/touring..

teaching my grandson to play also. Lifes been good to me..so far!

msp_thumbup.gif

May I ask what songs have you been teaching and performing with your grandson ? I've been teaching my 7 year old grandson the names of the notes on the fretboard, and some thumb picking. He is like me, a slow, but persistent learner. Even my guitars with the lowest action are hard for him to fret and strum. I got him a child size guitar (Dean Spiderman) he likes to play it (for a while) I have taught him a little Bo Diddley...he likes candy...the song, so, "I like candy" is the song he likes to play the most...right now....lol If we continue to play a few easy songs, I think he will do OK. I ask him if he want's to practice (when he visits, at least once a week, sometimes more)...most times he says OK, but plays for just a little while, very seldom does he say "I don't want to", which, to me, is pretty cool...not to much playing, just enough to make it fun, for both of us (and I get my oldest son to play a bit too... grampa, dad and grandsonmsp_smile.gif what a racket, but grandma seems to enjoysmile.gif). I'm surprised Epiphone doesn't make 1 or 2 1/2 or 3/4 size kids guitars. The Dean I got, for a kids guitar is OK, the graphic makes my grandson like the guitar (he is a Spiderman fan...lol). So, no "kiddie" Epiphone's...too bad. ohmy.gifmsp_sleep.gifmsp_unsure.gif

Also, what guitars among "the best" have you kept ? Any pictures you could post ?msp_thumbup.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_sleep.gif

With my very first guitar came a beginner's guitar book where I learned most open chords and the E-shape barre chord. After that, I learned to play Over the Hills and Far Away and Tangerine in a friend's basement with a Led Zeppelin tab book. During college, I did nothing but study computer science and tabs on harmony-central dot com. Even now, I read articles and watch videos on music theory, scales, etc.

My dad always played guitar, so I guess I picked up a few things from him. He could play anything in any key - still does at 92. But I was into piano, took some lessons, learned some theory.... Covered Ramsey Lewis, Vince Guiraldi... Then this banjo picker moved into the back house next door. He was also a good guitar player, finger style. Acoustic. He taught me to finger-pick Freight Train. Then I got into some early Donovan stuff, etc. etc. I'm still into keys, play most every day. Caught GAS a few years ago. Need more time in a day to play all my instruments!

3 years of weekly lessons when I was in high school, when I could play for hours every day...then, when I finished university and couldn't find work I turned my hobby into a profession and taught guitar full time. Learning how to teach taught me a lot - I was playing 6 hours a day!

I've been playing for 10. Started on mandolin at 49. Mel Bay and I taught those lessons. Decided that it wasn't too late to learn guitar too, so started playing at age 50. Still learning, bought a bunch of song books (CSNY, Neil Young, Beatles, Nickel Creek, bluegrass stuff, CCR, etc.)with chords and tabs. I have learned to play notes on my mandolin, but I haven't learned the scales on guitar, yet. Trying to do that before I kick the bucket. No matter how much I improve doesn't matter as much as how peaceful it is to play my stringed instruments every day. I only gig a few times a year, mostly with community worship services and our town celebration and music festival. Like I always say, I'm not too fast, I'm not too slow, I'm halfast. [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

I have first bought acoustic for learning but then i have found it too difficult to remember the nodes of it, I was suggested getstartedguitar.com by my cousin who was very good at playing it. I took a simple tutorial from them and started learning and surprisingly i was getting in to it. Now i have good knowledge of nodes, majors, minors etc. Which ever tutorial you should try but its necessary thing for u to get started cause guitar isn't that easy is it looks.

I have first bought acoustic for learning but then i have found it too difficult to remember the nodes of it, I was suggested getstartedguitar.com by my cousin who was very good at playing it. I took a simple tutorial from them and started learning and surprisingly i was getting in to it. Now i have good knowledge of nodes, majors, minors etc. Which ever tutorial you should try but its necessary thing for u to get started cause guitar isn't that easy is it looks.

Music theory if vital to being a good musician. Even simple stuff makes a huge difference in understanding what you're doing.

• 5 months later...

Took some lessons at primary school (in the UK ages 5-12)then had to stop when i went to secondary (high school)army parents could,nt afford to keep them up.Always wanted to start learning again but never seemed to find the time.Anyway stopped smoking last year so with the money i saved bought a cheap Johnny Brook strat copy then a Yamaha F370 acoustic was given a Stagg Les Paul copy with only one working pickup!Not taking any formal lessons .Been usiing Justinguitar .com and rock smith 2014 .I,m never going to be good player but for me it aint about how good or bad i am its about relaxing after work and enjoying the journey!!! Just bought a Standard Pro Plus Top in honey burst and compared to the other guitars WOW(wife a bit miffed though) that will be my last (for a year or two anyway).So i guess i,ll just keep plugging away and enjoying myself.

Archived