Gibson Brands Forums

Fender-Guild-Ren update

Hogeye

What I seem to know is that Guild has been building fine instruments for damn -near a century in several locations. Fender takes over and then EPA problems.

Rod - Guild has been in existence for 62 years. Fender has owned the brand for the past 19 years. After six years they closed Westerly & moved operations to Corona. Four years later, they had purchased Tacoma Guitars and moved Guild production to Washington state. Three years later, they closed that operation and moved to New Hartford. Now six years later, they're closing New Hartford.

Your distrust of the government is well known, but as is frequently the case, this matter is probably more heavily shaded grey (as you mention) than black & white. On the other hand, one fact is very clear: The decision making dominoes regarding Guild have been falling in a different direction, on average, every five years with Fender behind the wheel.

My hope would be that when the dust once again settles, Ren is able to continue doing the work we so greatly appreciate, whether he remains with Fender or moves on to another endeavor.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taylor made the switch from nitro for the same reason, the difference was they did it well before it was demanded (more than ten years ago). Fast forward to now and they are rolling out 3.5 micron thick finishes that are superior to nitro in many ways. Sure the finish does not age and improve to the extent that nitro does, but it sounds so good from the start it does not matter. Being good stewards of the environment is an important balancing act for companies.

Glad I got me an Orpheum 12 fretter when I did. Lovin' it more and more as time passes. To have Ren on the payroll and not utilize him to the fullest would be one bad business decision. Wish I had gotten to see and talk to him at Merlefest. I even was by the Guild booth but he was not to be seen and I never learned that he was there until afterwards.

Taylor made the switch from nitro for the same reason, the difference was they did it well before it was demanded (more than ten years ago). Fast forward to now and they are rolling out 3.5 micron thick finishes that are superior to nitro in many ways. Sure the finish does not age and improve to the extent that nitro does, but it sounds so good from the start it does not matter. Being good stewards of the environment is an important balancing act for companies.

I am "humbled" under their "stewardly ways".....What "pray tell" are they using NOW!

I am attempting to repair a top finish ding on a 614....with nitro......Jeesh!

You can bash FMIC till the cows come home.

Many in the Hoboken/Westerly Guild fan club treated the acquistion of the Guild name by Fender as the kiss of death. But miracle of miracles, Fender won them over. You can look high and low but will find nothing but raves for the Guilds turned out under the Fender banner.

If some of the workers in Connecticut are given the opportunity to move to Oxnard, CA with a cost of living adjustment then it's a decent win. I'd much rather be enjoying the Cali sunshine than what passes for weather in the northeast where I'm also currently stationed.

You can bash FMIC till the cows come home.

I don't think there's an exercise in Fender bashing occurring here. And no one has questioned the quality of the instruments built under Fender's ownership. The point is simply that Fender has fired four times, and unfortunately has missed whatever target it was aiming for - and that track record is pertinent to this discussion.

In moving forward, the wish list would include stability and viability for the brand, along with the continuation of quality construction standards that have been established.

REN FERGUSON TO JOIN CMG AS VICE PRESIDENT OF MANUFACTURING AND R&D FOR GUILD BRAND

Oxnard, CA (May 13, 2014) – On the heels of Cordoba Music Group’s announcement of their intent to acquire Guild from Fender Musical Instrument Company (FMIC), CMG has now announced that Ren Ferguson will join the company as Vice President of Manufacturing and R&D for Guild. He will oversee all production of Guild acoustic and electric guitars in Oxnard, California. With over 50 years of invaluable experience, including 27 years with Gibson and most recently with Guild under FMIC, Ferguson is a legendary figure in American guitar making. “We are very proud to welcome Ren to the CMG team,” said Tim Miklaucic, CEO of Cordoba Music Group. “He is an incredible resource and a national treasure. We’re excited to usher in a new era of Guild guitars with his leadership.”

might as well shut this forum down now & we'll all head over to Lets Talk Guild (just kiddin', maybe)

REN FERGUSON TO JOIN CMG AS VICE PRESIDENT OF MANUFACTURING AND R&D FOR GUILD BRAND

Oxnard, CA (May 13, 2014) – On the heels of Cordoba Music Group’s announcement of their intent to acquire Guild from Fender Musical Instrument Company (FMIC), CMG has now announced that Ren Ferguson will join the company as Vice President of Manufacturing and R&D for Guild. He will oversee all production of Guild acoustic and electric guitars in Oxnard, California. With over 50 years of invaluable experience, including 27 years with Gibson and most recently with Guild under FMIC, Ferguson is a legendary figure in American guitar making. “We are very proud to welcome Ren to the CMG team,” said Tim Miklaucic, CEO of Cordoba Music Group. “He is an incredible resource and a national treasure. We’re excited to usher in a new era of Guild guitars with his leadership.”

might as well shut this forum down now & we'll all head over to Lets Talk Guild (just kiddin', maybe)

Vice President?

Sounds like he will have to get a haircut and lose the beard!

Congratulations Ren.

BluesKing777.

Vice President?

Congratulations Ren.

BluesKing777.

I don't care how much he cleans up....He's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vice President?

Congratulations Ren!

BluesKing777.

Haha -- that's funny. Ren with a haircut and a shave!

Ren's so cool I bet even his secretary will have long hair and a beard! [biggrin]

Fred ("Get a haircut and get a real job!")

The best, IMHO, solidbody guitar I've ever had my hands on is my own Guild S100c carved-top SG "clone" from the early '70s.

OTOH, never was particularly impressed by Guild flattops. Dunno why; kinda a "non amo te sabiti, nec possum dicere..."

Anyway, it's interesting.

As for nitro, etc., and praise for Taylor's use of poly something-or-another finishes while condemning Epi Masterbuilt finishes... I just have to grin.

I never had much faith in Fender flattops and swore I'd never have one even as I swore I'd never have a Fender electric because of their necks. Yet... I had an opportunity to "steal" a 12-string AE and by golly, it ain't a bad box at all even at MRP.

One problem for Guild through the years, I think, is a continuously-expanding media and increasing difficulty of advertising.

Yeah, "we" know about Guild, etc., but go out on the street and tell a high school kid's Dad that you'll give him up to $1,500 for a flattop. Then ask him what brand he'd be looking for. Wanna bet "Guild" comes up as a known quantity in more than 5 percent or less?

m

They will relocate. I wish it would be to Montana but it will probably be to a country that is more business friendly.

You're up that way, right? Maybe they could move it next door to your house. Put it in your back yard. What do ya think there Mister Business Friendly? Would that work?

They will relocate. I wish it would be to Montana but it will probably be to a country that is more business friendly.

You're up that way, right? Maybe they could move it next door to your house. Put it in your back yard. What do ya think there Mister Business Friendly? Would that work?

[/quote

I do live in Montana and very close to the Gibson plant in Bozeman. They spray nitro and it is no problem for me.

I would be happy to have Guild in my back yard. I'm not to sure about the Mr. Business Friendly remark. Is that just a twinge of hostility? I'm sure you can be a little more explicit. Just say it like a man and we can get the discussion started.

I tend to be with Hogeye on this one...

It's no problem to recognize that if you want any sort of life, even neolithic, you're going to have some degree of "pollution" around you. In fact, dump the human species circa 1500 and you'd still have loads of bison putting methane into the air.

Frankly it seems to exemplify hubris to suggest that only humans affect the environment, and that they shouldn't - which is impossible.

m

It's no problem to recognize that if you want any sort of life, even neolithic, you're going to have some degree of "pollution" around you. In fact, dump the human species circa 1500 and you'd still have loads of bison putting methane into the air.

Frankly it seems to exemplify hubris to suggest that only humans affect the environment, and that they shouldn't - which is impossible.

m

there's a load of bison dung hubris!

no one here ever said that "only humans affect the environment"

regardless of whether nitro regs are really the reason they closed down the plant (sounds to me like a convenient out for FMIC)

It is quite a long leap from bison dung to nitrocellulose in the air.

How do you spray bison dung? Does it give off a wonderful aroma like fresh nitro when you open the case? Can you get a nice sunburst finish with bison dung, or is it a sh--tburst?

Sorry, I shouldn't have had that second glass of cabernet tonight.....

Archived