Gibson Brands Forums

help

Treym1994

I have a les paul, I bought it used a couple months ago, and its been wonderful, its a 1998 turquoise, and about a week ago the bridge pickup stopped working, I've checked all the connections and everything seems to be fine, so any thoughts would be great. My thinking is either the volume pot for that pickup or the pickup its self, but I'm no expert lol so help me pleasssse thanks in advance

Btw, the neck pickup works fine, and the two together works fine although the bridge pickup volume know has no effect

When you say the two together work fine, does the bridge pickup actually work in the middle position? You can tap it lightly with a metal screwdriver to check.

It sounds like a bad connection or a problem with the selector switch. Pickups and pots don't typically just die, though it can happen. To check the pickup you can disconnect it and measure the resistance across the leads if you have a meter. It should read 7k to 15k ohms depending on the pickup model, but definitely not zero or infinite resistance.

The volumes work together on your guitar. When in the center position on the switch, either volume will turn both pickups down.

I'm not sure if turning one down and one up, changes that. Someone with a guitar that has that particular wiring scheme will have to chip in here.

before you start removing/replacing stuff, check the toggle switch.

those connections will effect the pickups if it's clogged with crap.

take it out of the cavity (don't have to unsolder anything) get some contact cleanr (radio shack is a good source) and spray it in there and move the switch back and forth a bunch of times, and repeat.

It's sometimes as simple as cleaning it out.

before you start removing/replacing stuff, check the toggle switch.

those connections will effect the pickups if it's clogged with crap.

take it out of the cavity (don't have to unsolder anything) get some contact cleanr (radio shack is a good source) and spray it in there and move the switch back and forth a bunch of times, and repeat.

It's sometimes as simple as cleaning it out.

I agree. Sometimes just flipping it up and down several time will cure it.

^^What they said. But bear in mind that LP switches are touch straight on, pull straight off contacts, not slide on & off like in a strat, so they don't get the same degree of automatic rubbing to keep them clean. You might need to put a strip of paper in the closed contact and pull it through to clean it. If the contacts look corroded you can do the same with a 1000 grit wet & dry, but it will go again and you'd be better off with a new switch soon. Anyway, if it isn't the switch, let us know.

Archived