Gibson Brands Forums

What was your first Gibson????

onewilyfool

It's a J-45 Northern , only sixty five made , for Long & Mcquade , a chain of music stores in Canada. These guitars are a 30's sunburst finish , Adirondack red spruce top ,Rosewood back and sides , it say's - "Limited" edition on the truss truss rod cover , Grover tuners , there is a custom shop logo on the back of the headstock and it has upgraded electronics from the J 45 standard , I'm unsure of the details on the electronics except there is a volume and tone control. It was built in 2014.

A sweet sounding , smooth playing guitar , .................. I'm tickled !

I think some of the true vintage J 45's are finished like this but I'm not sure , having never seen one , other than pictures .

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My much lived Norlin era J45 De Luxe

1979 bought new in 82 and the only acoustic I've owned for more than 2years

The model has it's critics but I'll defend her to the death!

A '1970 or so Hummingbird. It defied everything you read on the Internet about them by sounding great & having a nice, easy playing neck profile, 1&11/16" nut. Played that thing everywhere for nearly 20 years until it got wrecked. I do miss that one.

Well, it was a 59 Les Paul Junior.

But acoustically, a 46 LG-2 bought in a Raleigh pawn shop in 71 or thereabouts. I don't have any pics from back then. Probably too poor to have a camera (or too dazed to use one). I sold the LG-2, bought a Martin, and didn't have another Gibson acoustic for 40 years--though I had several Gibson electrics. I did have a KG 14 for a while, though.

Then, I found a Fullers J 50. Now, I'm a Gibson guy.

• 1 month later...

A '1970 or so Hummingbird. It defied everything you read on the Internet about them by sounding great & having a nice, easy playing neck profile, 1&11/16" nut. Played that thing everywhere for nearly 20 years until it got wrecked. I do miss that one.

What wrecked this dear acoustic ?

My much lived Norlin era J45 De Luxe

1979 bought new in 82 and the only acoustic I've owned for more than 2years

The model has it's critics but I'll defend her to the death!

These are like my first ones from 1970/80. I fought hard to go Gibson though my heroes mostly played Marts, but the two squares didn't make it.

Instead I was thrown into a baaaad Gibson trauma from which I only recently recovered.

I'm sure yours is splendid, , , , mine might have gained a lot over those many years as well, , , , whereever they may be . . . .

The first - Likemy70sJ-50Deluxe1979-1.jpg

The second brave attempt - Likemy70sJ-45.jpg

These are like my first ones from 1970/80. I fought hard to go Gibson though my heroes mostly played Marts, but the two squares didn't make it.

Instead I was thrown into a baaaad Gibson trauma from which I only recently recovered.

I'm sure yours is splendid, , , , mine might have gained a lot over those many years as well, , , , whereever they may be . . . .

The first - Likemy70sJ-50Deluxe1979-1.jpg

The second brave attempt - Likemy70sJ-45.jpg

Actually I think it has matured and whereas I couldn't gig it at the Albert Hall it does me well

Thinking about it Paul Weller does/ did gig her twin sister

Like my 96 Volvio 850r it will be forever with me

Lord only knows which box they'll bury me in

-:)

My first Gibson was a '99 SG Standard black on black.

My first Gibson Acoustic was a Hummingbird Pro, circa '08. The HB Pro just wasn't clicking with me so I traded it in towards my AJ which is a lifetime keeper.

I now also have a Firebird and an L-00TV.

Will post pics later once I get home on my personal computer

EDIT: pics added

IMG_4543_zpse617ec67.jpg

IMG_4551_zps0c5b9852.jpg

My first Gibson (and still my favorite!) is an F25 Folksinger. I love these things. I think the nut is a full 2" wide, small body, 12-fret. I know it is an early 60's model but I don't know the exact year. Does someone here know that based on the serial number in the pic? Some more shots in the link.

Edit: I seem to recall it is a '66 but not 100% sure.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A35p3ichucw6e

post-64984-092527600 1403210314_thumb.jpg

My first is a '64 LG-1. It came new into the family for my brother, who took lessons long enough to collect some chord charts and a song booklet of multi-colored mimeographed pages between construction-paper covers.

Here it is, played on a sleepy little song I wrote about/for it a couple of years ago.

http://soundcloud.com/anne-rachel/the-company-i-keep/s-7eVpl

Had the lifting plastic bridge removed and replaced with rosewood about 15 years ago, and I still do love its sound...and smell!

AnneS, your song is really nice. My first Gibson was a 64 lg-1. I gave my daughter the guitar when she turned 18. She loves it. I had it since 1971. I missed it so much, I found another 64 lg-1 with a wider neck, and love it as well.

I came on thezGibson forum to ask about a Gibson L-20 that was on our local Craig's list. I was really a die hard Martin guy at the time, and knew NOTHING about Gibson's. I got some great advice, some great insight on the guitar, one guy had the whole history of the instrument, and with that, and the actual audition of the instrument…..I got the L-20…just a great guitar….and was the start of a great love affair with Gibsons…here's the pics!

My first Gibby was a used, road worn Les Paul Studio in fireburst 03 i think?? I later sold it (needed the cash) and got another 7 months later but the next one was in Satin fireburst. Now after trying several more les pauls ive been jonesin for a 60s neck profile.

100_0639.jpg

I have a Gibson ES 225T, I bought from a fellow Airmen in 1959 in Homestead fl.

I played it in bands through around 1970, then I started playing Tele's.

I sold it to my brother around that time and to my surprise, my wife bought it back and give it to me for Christmas in the 80's.

Like an old friend had come home.

30731_104725046241045_4213425_n.jpg

My First Gibson! I got it for my 10th birthday in 1976. I (thank goodness) still have it!

Love this thing… It's a 1962 LG-0. I know they get a bad rap but it has a unique voice that is undeniably cool.

My+Gibson.jpg

My first Gibson (and still my favorite!) is an F25 Folksinger. I love these things. I think the nut is a full 2" wide, small body, 12-fret. I know it is an early 60's model but I don't know the exact year. Does someone here know that based on the serial number in the pic? Some more shots in the link.

Edit: I seem to recall it is a '66 but not 100% sure.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A35p3ichucw6e

post-64984-092527600 1403210314_thumb.jpg

JJ…Nice guitar AND nice setting…beautiful detailing of that space…nice wood work!

Sorry behind the curve on these. I posted my last Gibson First now gonna post my First Gibson....

My First was my CJ-165 and I love this guitar....

Bad decision by Gibson to give up and discontinue these babies so soon...

Picture024.jpg

Archived