Gibson Brands Forums

Picked up a Gibson Strat

duane v

I grabbed this off of Ebay for one hell of a price (under $400). Now I have a guitar with a trem, and that now frees me up to get the Gibson LP Supreme LE..... I was ready to pull the trigger on a LP Axcess, but now I have solved an decision issue.

It needs some work..... I'm gonna install some cream pups and have some set-up work done to the Floyd Rose.... My tech is an expert with that trem.

_572_zps112aa974.jpg

_573_zps178ac2a0.jpg

_574_zps94977c45.jpg

_571_zps3d619f11.jpg

I've seen these on line but never in person. Looks nice. How's it play and sound ?

dont know yet.... It's shipping

I just ordered a nickel Schaller LockMeister trem with a R4 nut

I played one quite a few times back in the day....one of my regular guitar pupils had one. I remember him getting it out of the case brand new the 1st time I saw it and thinking "Wow"! I haven't seen a black one before, very nice with the binding and matching headstock. The one I played had that switching system and a great 24-fret board, wide enough and pretty flat; worth it just for that but I can't use a 3-bolt locknut, my hand always hit it. Interesting that you are going to get new parts for this axe.....am sure you'll get into it, a mean machine when set up properly.

Set-neck too; high-quality guitar.

OOOOHHHHHH........Nice!

I'd echo jdgm's comments re: black, bound body and matching p'head. Does it have an ebony 'board into the bargain by any chance?

Very classy-looking bit of Kit.

If it were mine I'd probably stick with black p'ups but, hey, you're the Lucky Beggar who has the luxury of making that decision!

Looking forward to the Tone-Report!

[thumbup]

P.

OOOOHHHHHH........Nice!

I'd echo jdgm's comments re: black, bound body and matching p'head. Does it have an ebony 'board into the bargain by any chance?

Very classy-looking bit of Kit.

If it were mine I'd probably stick with black p'ups but, hey, you're the Lucky Beggar who has the luxury of making that decision!

Looking forward to the Tone-Report!

[thumbup]

P.

LOL..... The fretboard is ebony [thumbup]

Thanks folks...... The main thing is making sure the current floyd isn't a dead stick..... Which my tech doesn't think it is...... He thinks that $200 could be better spent towards a fret dress, tusk nut and go towards the set-up cost.

Quick question (See 3)

1. I purchased a black Gotoh Floyd Rose

2. I purchased a cream Dimarzio Super D humbucker for the bridge.

3. I'm having trouble deciding if I should go with creams on both single coil pups or get some black single coil replacements.

thanks for the help

Do these have the same build quality as every other Gibson at the same level?

I can only compare it the the Moser and charvel Strats that I own or owned.... In my experience it would be up there with the high-end Jacksons during that time. I really wont be able to completely gage it until it is completely set-up

Quick question (See 3)

1. I purchased a black Gotoh Floyd Rose

2. I purchased a cream Dimarzio Super D humbucker for the bridge.

3. I'm having trouble deciding if I should go with creams on both single coil pups or get some black single coil replacements.

thanks for the help

All cream pickup covers with a black floyd. Cream will match the binding and be a great contrast on that guitar. Unless you can go black everything with just the binding standing out (if you can get a black pickup cover for the Dimarzio).

I used to have a black strat that came with white pup covers and pick guard. I traded everything for black and loved it.

As you are heading down the cream route I'm with Riffster and Tman in suggesting all 3 cream.

Great to hear it has an ebony 'board. For $400 you got one 'ell of a bargain.

But then I'm guessing you knew that already...

P.

Man I picked up a black new in the box Kahler 2760 "Steeler" trem...... Very hard to find used much less in black and new in the box with all the mounting accessories..... It blows all the other licensed floyds away.... No string cutting..... I picked it up at wammiworld ..... Man i'm stoked ...... See chrome image of one below

2760.jpg

A little update

I received two of my vintage Dimarzios, the other should be here next week... Also my black chrome Kahler Steeler trem should be showing up nest week as well.... I'm gonna wrap the coil wires in black coil wire tape and paint the base-plate black as well on the single coils so its more stealthywhen in the pup cavity.

I played it last night at rehearsal and the FR trem on it right now isn't half-bad, and it sounded pretty dam good.... The neck and fret-board is to die for on the axe... [thumbup] [thumbup]

image_zpsac10e6c1.jpg

image1_zpsdc7f32d6.jpg

Archived