Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Microphonic Unreal.....

nitro

To make a long story short both pickups on my 2013 Gibson Les Paul studio are microphonic.I took the guitar to a Gibson authorize repair shop and they came to the conclusion that both pickups,thats right both pickups(498t and 490) are microphonic that is unreal.So its taking over two weeks and still no replacement pickups.

This is pretty odd. Never heard about such thing before. Two microphonic pickups of different types - how unlikely is that? [confused] Perhaps due to poorly mounted covers? These contain nickel, so they could be the culprits.

Yes they have nickel covers,do you think they analized this issue correctly????The high pitch squeal happens when the tone control is on 10(bridge postion)what else can it be???.They also tried the guitar using different amps and the samething happens.

Yes they have nickel covers,do you think they analized this issue correctly????

Just researched, should have chrome covers, but chrome plating requires preceding nickel coating. Since nickel is ferromagnetic, the nickel layer acts like a microphone diaphragm when vibrating.

Sorry for asking, but is this about the same guitar with the squeal when tone controls are cranked up all the way:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/111439-2013-gibson-les-paul-studio-tone-control-squeal/page__pid__1509311#entry1509311

Thettull down Beavith. It happens. May not be 4xx pickups, might be something else in there. Gibson has a few that aren't potted, and can be pretty skwawky. Sucks that it is taking so long, but it happens.

rct

This never happen before when I got the guitar.

How long you had it? What kind of amp, all that stuff? I've had some unspotted pickups that would give me the dickens in some amps and not at all in others. Microphonics are tricky.

rct

Archived