Gibson Brands Forums

Installing a pickup ring

EvoRider

I have a 2006 SG Standard with the batwing pickguard. I am thinking about adding a pickup ring to the bridge pickup. has anybody done this mod? and if so can u give me some pointers?? Or maybe a video. I just prefer my finger setting on the ring instead of the bare pickup. my epiphone has pickup rings and small pickguard and i just like the feeling of a pickup ring under my pinky finger..

It should be real easy. Just line it up and screw the screws into the pickguard, or line it up and mark it with a scribe and do it.

Yes, I would think you're going to need to install the corner screws to keep it from wobbling around. Of course, as noted above, the adjustment screws will just go through all existing holes, ring and pickguard.

You can just put one on without any other modification by just putting the 2 pickup adjustment screws thru it and then thru the pick guard.

Will the screws be long enough to go thru the ring and the pickguard? what about the springs? I guess when my new dirty finger pickup gets here i will tear down the sg and see what it will take to convert it. what would be a good neck pickup to match the dirty finger? I would need something with open coils.

Will the screws be long enough to go thru the ring and the pickguard? what about the springs?

It's been my experience that the adjustment screws are way too long for any standard application. I think you'll be fine.

Will the screws be long enough to go thru the ring and the pickguard? what about the springs? I guess when my new dirty finger pickup gets here i will tear down the sg and see what it will take to convert it. what would be a good neck pickup to match the dirty finger? I would need something with open coils.

The pu adj screws go the same way they are now under pickguard I would not screw the ring into the pickguard. I will move very little. Now if you where adding the ring to make the pu line up with the strings then you would have to cut up the pg to allow the pu room to line up and then screw it in.

The pu adj screws go the same way they are now under pickguard I would not screw the ring into the pickguard. I will move very little. Now if you where adding the ring to make the pu line up with the strings then you would have to cut up the pg to allow the pu room to line up and then screw it in.

That was what i was thinking. that is one of the reasons i wanted to do this. but i just dont know if i want to start cutting up my original pickguard. I think i will buy a different pickguard to start cutting on...

but i just dont know if i want to start cutting up my original pickguard.

There's no cutting involved. If you don't install the four corner screws of the ring, you're just using the existing adjustment screw holes that are already in the pickguard. No cutting, no drilling.

I still think you are going to have to mount the ring with the four corner screws to keep the pickup/ring assembly securely in place, which would involve the drill of those four holes. But... there's no harm in trying it without them.

One can use a thin layer of prosthetic adhesive, to keep the rings in place,

(along with the adjustment screws, that Larry mentioned), And...if you want

a completed look, but no holes drilled, just have the 4 corner screws cut

off, just inside the lower edge of the mounting ring. Some of the same

adhesive would keep the screws in place, as well. And, the best part is,

it's all reversible, should you ever want to go back, or sell it, in original

condition.

Just a thought...

CB

Archived