Gibson Brands Forums

1974 Gibson Heritage Custom in near mint condition

Bluesman61

Not really that familiar with 70s models. Glad it sounds good, but some of the details look different to me.

Yes, they made them rather different these years. Missing i dot and closed o were common, and even three screws for the truss rod cover appeared on some models.

These guitar went through some big changes. They started out in '65 as a plain jane Martin-ish looking thing with solid Braz rosewood back and sides, belly bridge, dot board markers, and Epi-like oversized teardrop pickguard. A few years later they sported a laminate body and in the early 1970s got the curlicue bridge and block board markers as well as all of the other changes associated with Gibsons.

Very Nice-looking Heritage, Bluesman61 ! It looks mint! I am stoked for you also. I hope you got a deal on it.....

Since repairing a top crack on a '73 J55....and playing it, I have changed my whole 'attitude' about these "Norlin Freaks".

I almost hate to say it on the Gibson Forum(for fear of striking up buying interest) but I think that there is great 'value' in them. Quite cool guitars as being 'different' than the 'norm'. The tone of the J55 was far beyond the $3000 Taylor that I am working on now....BUT THEN....apples to oranges!.....and I ain,t a "Taylor Guy" ....[sneaky]

I am a bit jealous of your purchase.....[wub]

Just freshened up on my research material of the Heritage....

-Introduced in '65 as a plainer version

-Brazilian rosewood (early....probably laminated) and thereafter Indian RW. Was third in pricing hierarcy behind the J200 and Dove in '65

-Gibson Fabulous Flat Top book paints a 'gloomy picture' of the latter(such as yours) transitional examples, however, I take that with a 'grain of salt attitude'....

Great find! [thumbup]

I had one just like it, bought her new in '74 or so. It had a wonderful sweet sound; didn't project real well but was very even across the strings - sounded great finger picked and was a fine solo/singer guitar. Plus it had a beautiful neck and played like a dream. I'm jealous 'cause in those days I had to sell one to buy one and she went down the road for an HD-28; I kept track of mine for years and vowed I'd buy her back one day, but I lost track of her years ago. Enjoy yours; she looks like a sweetie!

There was a Heritage Custom which was made only about a year in the early 1970s that had solid EI rosewood back and sides.

I believe it was the Heritage "Custom" from this period that sported solid woods.

My '72 was a Custom with solid EI rosewood back & sides.

I agree that, as much as Norlins get slammed, there are a lot of sleepers from this period.

You've just got to try them to find out if it's a dud or a gem!

Archived