Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with GA20T Tremolo

ericvv

I am having a problem with a recently restored GA20T. The tremolo is quite flaky, not always starting on demand. Sometimes it starts okay and then runs fine but sometimes it won't. I have checked all of the components and verified the voltages in the tremolo oscillator (per the schematic). Never had this problem in Fender amps, which use quite a different circuit. I am looking for some suggestions on how to find and fix the problem, or was this amp notorious for this?

• 3 months later...

I am having a problem with a recently restored GA20T. The tremolo is quite flaky, not always starting on demand. Sometimes it starts okay and then runs fine but sometimes it won't. I have checked all of the components and verified the voltages in the tremolo oscillator (per the schematic). Never had this problem in Fender amps, which use quite a different circuit. I am looking for some suggestions on how to find and fix the problem, or was this amp notorious for this?

I think this amp was notorious for this. I have one and the tremolo is very weak. I eventually bought a tremolo pedal.

• 2 weeks later...

The circuit is wired on a thick paper with solder cups on it. I have found that the paper curls & possibly grounds out the tremolo on some of these amps. It's kind of weird. but I've had luck after raising the circuit with spacers to get it a little further away from the chassis. It doesn't cost anything to try it........... Just increase the height of the standoffs by about 1/8". My GA-35RVT & GA-20RVT both had Tremolo issues, this fixed both of them.............

Archived