Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 Bridge Mounting Ring needed

Skip L

Hello,

I just acquired a '93 ES-175, but when it arrived the bridge pickup mounting ring was broken into pieces. I managed to glue it together with loctite,and it works, but looks not so good. I have been searching for a replacement without luck. The closest item I can find is the PRPR-035 which includes the 1/2" high ring for the bridge, but the set is creme and I need black. I am surprised that Gibson doesn't seem to sell it in black. I'm even desperate enough to buy the set just for the bridge ring. Any help or advice in locating a black 1/2" ring would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks.

I custom contoured a set for my L-5, and I've got a spare pair for my 345 still in the original packaging.

The ones I have are Gibson part number PRPR-020, and are 3/8" tall on the backside.

The sku sticker on one reads:

GIBSON PICKUP MTG RING

(BRIDGE)-BLACK

PRPR-020

The other reads:

GIBSON STRINGS & ACCESSORIES

PRPR-020 mtg rng blk hi

Any major Gibson dealer should have them on the rack, or be able to order them.

EDIT: added height measurement to part number line.

Also, the part No. you found is "035", the ones I have is "020", don't know if that number is a height designation or maybe the color.

OK, I just did a fairly thorough google search. I also DO NOT see 1/2" black rings listed ANYWHERE, only 3/8" under the part number I listed above.

I DID find a 1/2" one when I did my L-5, but that was 10 years ago or so. It seems to me I called the Gibson Custom Shop and begged for one. They gave me the number of some dealer or luthier (in Nashville I believe) and I called them and said send me the two tallest black rings you have. I don't remember if they came in Gibson packaging, or loose.

Here's a similar discussion I found on "another" website, and their answer seems to be DiMarzio rings.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/historics-reissues/112194-where-does-one-find-historic-height-black-pickup-rings.html

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks for suggestions guys. I have the 020 which is for a LP bridge. The creme I found on the Gibson site, and it has the 1/2" one for the 175; one would think they'd have the black ones listed, as it seems to me more guitars have the black.

I left the guitar at a local tech who is Gibson authorized, to get a rosewood bridge put on in the meantime. He indicated he could *probably* get the 1/2" ring in a set. I assume Gibson makes the more esoteric parts available to authorized techs/dealers. I'll keep my fingers crossed. This will be one sweet jazz box when it's up and running, it sounds so good. I'll post a pic.

Thanks again.

• 10 months later...

Nearly a year later, no luck. Just bumping this thread in the hopes that someone has a suggestion.

The part # seems to be PRPR-035 but need in black. 1/2 inch.

I have had a couple of Gibson dealers on the case but they have had no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

The only thing I can suggest - you may have already tried something like this:

Email these people -

http://www.archtop.com/ac_inst.html

Try the Jazz Guitar Forum (I now understand this is based in Belgium!):

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/forum.php

Here is a very expensive custom pickup ring maker site:

http://www.pickuprings.com/pickup_rings

The thing is they would not be hard for someone who is a good woodworker to make - a lot cheaper than those!

Best of luck.....

Archtop doesn't have any mounting rings listed, and is geared towards higher end, but it's a good suggestion for a contact. I'll keep them in mind.

I'm a member over at .be. Someone there might have an idea. Also I'll ask over at thegearpage as another option. Another option might be to buy the creme one and paint it black. I don't know if that's even possible on plastic.

I'm sure you've seen these but for $6.00 a set each, maybe worth a shot: http://www.allparts.com/PC-0743-023-Humbucking-Pickup-Rings-Slanted-Black-Plastic_p_2444.html ?

The tall side on those is 7/16, with flat bottom. By the time it gets sanded to fit flush, a little lower. The creme ones on the G-store are listed at 1/2 inch. I did a careful measurement on the broken one here, and it is indeed 3/8 to 1/2. It might be my last resort. All I want is to restore the thing to original.

I appreciate the suggestions, guys.

I have contacted the Gibson repair/restore site and have a rep on the case. I'll wait to hear what he says.

I can only hope that the repair shop comes through, and that I can post some good news. Any further suggestions are appreciated.

Another suggestion: how about buying the ring that you can find readily and putting four 1/16th" thick rubber grommets, washers or shims in the four corners under the ring until Gibson gets the right one to you?

If it is just to hold the humbucker in place it does not matter that it looks "incorrect" with a gap running all round it.

PS I agree that Gibson is just an asss to deal with. It could be simpler except that Gibson feels that everyone who asks is a potential counterfeiter...or so I gather by its unhelpful attitude where it comes to parts.

Nearly a year later, no luck. Just bumping this thread in the hopes that someone has a suggestion.

The part # seems to be PRPR-035 but need in black. 1/2 inch.

I have had a couple of Gibson dealers on the case but they have had no luck. Gibson has been difficult and obtuse to deal with.

Any help is appreciated.

He tried that.

Above, in the thread, he says he needs BLACK, and 1/2". These are only available on the site in creme. The other ones available in black are only 3/8".

The Gibson dealer should still be able to get them, they still offer them on new models and would be available from a Gibson repair center.

I will see if I can track one down.

The Gibson dealer should still be able to get them, they still offer them on new models and would be available from a Gibson repair center.

I will see if I can track one down.

I appreciate that, Drog. Now that the holiday is almost over, hopefully I will hear some positive news from the Gibson Repair/Restoration people.

I called the Gibson Custom Shop and begged for one. They gave me the number of some dealer or luthier (in Nashville I believe)

Success!! Did some googling and found the Gibson Repair and Restoration site in Nashville. Filled out the form and they responded quickly. A few days later this baby arrived. Major kudos to Timothy Tucker over at the shop. He was very helpful. Like bigtime.

Big thanks to everyone for your interest and suggestions. You put me on the path. L5Larry and Drog get the honors for most helpful suggestions. Thank you man.

Mounting-Ring_zpslmyw6jkh.jpg

Archived