Gibson Brands Forums

Adjustable saddles

peiplayer

What’s so bad about an adjustable saddle? I played a natural finish J45 last night that had one as well as a batwing pickguard. It sounded and felt just fine to me. Why is the adjustable saddle considered so awful? Although I wouldn’t rush out and buy one you’d think there would be some merit in such a design.

What’s so bad about an adjustable saddle? I played a natural finish J45 last night that had one as well as a batwing pickguard. It sounded and felt just fine to me. Why is the adjustable saddle considered so awful? Although I wouldn’t rush out and buy one you’d think there would be some merit in such a design.

All I've heard is, in theory, the adjustible hardware's mass reduces the amount of vibrations trasmitted to the soundboard. Theories, not established facts.

Given the opportunity I'll be swapping my adjustable saddle for a non-adjustable one. Not that I don't like the current tone, just want to see if the tone / volume can be improved. I'll not be tossing the old adjustable in the ash can... just in case.

Archived