Gibson Brands Forums

Do you use a metronome?

I use a metronome for practicing scales sometimes. If there is a lick or solo I am struggling with, I will slow it down to a 100bpm count, and move it faster from there, until I am on time with the beat of the actual song/lick. On the drums, I mostly use my hi-hat as a metronome to keep time. And always play on a count.

Great stuff. I like the 16th note hits (those are tough!). I was always taught to tap my foot on 2 and 4. I did a bunch of this stuff for piano, but never really did anything for guitar. But I probably should. I make my kid practice his guitar with a metronome though. I still have mine from when I was a kid and it stills works!

I used a metronome with my guitar teacher way back when I first started learning to play. Then about 8 years ago I bought a Boss TU-80 Tuner with a built in metronome and have practiced with it a handful of times. Recently I got an Iphone (remember that thread? :rolleyes:) and I downloaded a guitar tuner/metronome app. I've been using it lately to practice, but I think it's just the novelty of something new.

When I started, I used a metronome (and I started on drums). Then I switched to sax, still used it, then I got in the marching band at school so mm=120 got embedded in my DNA.

Years later, we started gigging with a drum machine, then sequences that I make myself. It's good rhythm practice on the gig (and after all, if you can't practice on stage, where can you practice?). ;)

Sometimes I will intentionally make slight manipulations to my background tracks, gradually speed up, rush the bridge a little, slow down multi-beat triplets a hair, and so on. I think slight manipulations like that are expressive elements, and if used tastefully are just one more tool in the musical tool box.

Insights and incites by Notes

I don't, but I really should.

On a side note, another supplement to improving your meter is to learn to play drums. I know mine went from horrid to acceptable once I got behind the kit and started jamming with people.

I used a metronome when I was reeeeally little and then in grade school for trumpet.

I've also recommended it to others and... there's a lot of value to it. I know I have this horrid habit of speeding and a good drummer or metronome can help.

I've also noticed that a lotta solo fingerpickers will play a given song at different speeds, at least on different recordings. On the other hand, I've several pieces where by intent I speed and slow down, or have two different speeds to start and then to play the majority of the piece.

m

I often use a metronome when practicing scales. I have also used one when recording rhythm parts, but I find my sound, in doing that, definitely sounds more in the pocket, it can also start to sound more mechanical. I'm thinking of using a metronome to record lead sections and add rhythm sections later (seems inherently wrong), or simply stop using a metronome all together while recording. I think foot tapping really helps to maintain a steady rhythm; works better than relying on a rhythmic sense in the brain.

I quite like doing the flamenco hand on guitar body tapping that rodrigo y gabriela do to keep in time. I also sometimes visualise things like changing coloured lights in my head. The problem with both of those methods though is that you dont actually know at what speed you're playing. I too should probably start using a metronome

I just use the built in drums in my Boss 4 Track recorder... Much more fun with drums me thinks...

Now there I definitely agree with you Rabs. I HATE the click of a metronome. I really hate it. And yet drums sound altogether more natural and...well, rhythmic.

I have lately!

After I started sending recordings of my rhythm tracks to my drummer. My timing was so bad it was impossible to lay down a drum track to keep time with me...

When you spend all your time practicing by yourself and playing to yourself the timing simply doesn't matter, you are always in time with yourself... But that don't mean you are in time...

The worst part was we are so tight live in a gig setting and can react to each other with a natural anticipation, but in the clinical world or recordings, not so much...

It was eye opening. Now when I record a rhythm track without a drum track already there, I put a metronome on my iPod and listen to it in the headphones and I play live in the room loud enough to hear it thru the headphones along with my metronome...

My rhythm tracks have been exponentially better rhythmically!

Now I practice with a metronome all the time!

Thanks for posting those links Cali.

I have neglected my metronome for too long. This inspired me to bring it back.

I force my kids to use it... I guess I should set an example...lol.

(My 8 yr old likes my old wind up one)

Metronomes are also great for practicing playing slightly ahead or behind the beat.

Absolutely.

I have 3, clockwork and battery. Don't hate the click, get used to it; the metronome really is your friend.

However Band-In-A-Box or a drum track is just as good and may be better in many circumstances, but the dead-simple metronome will always have a place.

Never could use a metronome. Fortunately I got in bands early and learned good timing from having a drummer behind me. I still can't play to a click track though. I find it distracting.

I don't, but I really should.

On a side note, another supplement to improving your meter is to learn to play drums. I know mine went from horrid to acceptable once I got behind the kit and started jamming with people.

Interesting.

I would think a metronome would be an essential tool when learning the drums.

My kids drum teacher really stresses it's use.

I agree about the drummer. But the metronome helps you find all the beats properly. My point is that if you can do it with a metronome then playing with a drummer is much easier. As I said I did it with piano where I "kicked' bass parts with my left hand while soloing with my right. It helps to develop the feel of the beat.

Archived