Gibson Brands Forums

Fender to sell Guild (official)

billy_v

They (Guild) must have been loosing money. Having worked for a supplier of Fender's amp and pa system boxes for a few years, (pre-Rivera era) I know that if Fender found any aspect of their "domain" to be unprofitable...they got rid of it. This includes people, and locations.

I read somewhere that the President of Cordoba is the SON of one of the Fender exec's???? A little bit of nepotism or "good-old-boy"-ism going on here???? Let's hope that Cordoba didn't have to swallow the debt of Guild also. Hopefully the skilled workers that Ren was training, will find work with the new company or somewhere else.

Losing Guild would be pretty sad. I hope Cordoba does take the company and get it on the right track again. Cordoba makes some sweet Ukes and very nice Classical guitars. The skills are there. Hopefully they can make Guild profitable again.

I know nothing about their business dealings, but I got my first chance to play a contemporary Guild last weekend. It was a fancy sunburst, rosewood dred that belonged to a guy in the band that opened for us. He handed it to me and I was shocked, as it was as heavy as an electric guitar. I was even more shocked when I strummed it. It didn't sound like it was over-built at all. It sounded very good.

P

I think the key to Guild's survival is that when they have been bought up they were left alone to operate as an independent shop - very much the way Gibson treats Bozeman. When the large electronics distributor Avnet bought them in 1966 about the only change was they moved into a bigger factory in Westerly. It seems Fender treated them the same way. The result was the guitars remained good and people kept loving them.

I confess, I know 'zero' about Cordoba guitars but a quick Goggle search tells me they are an American Company specializing in nylon stringed classical style Spanish influenced guitars....the 'American company' being the the glowing point here....I may be wrong (and that happens from time to time, when I was a lot younger I knew about everything but since I have gotten old I have forgotten most of it)) but if that's the case that means Guild is coming back home from China ( I understand Fender to be a Chinese entity) possibly Cordoba and the Guild guitar may be a 'marriage' made in Heaven?....that is if the owners of the Cordoba company let the experienced builders of the American made Guild guitars work their magic and don't try and 're-invent the wheel' jmho.

Archived