Gibson Brands Forums

ES195 discontinued???? already??

mike tango

Thanks for contacting us. Gibson Memphis indicated that the ES-195 actually underwent some spec changes prior to being discontinued- they got 57 Classic humbuckers instead of P-94’s, Klusons on a strap instead of mini Grovers and a TonePros AVR2-G instead of the roller bridge. It looks like your guitar is one of the ES-195 models with the spec changes prior to discontinuation.

Discontinued, eh? So it was in production for about 18 months or less....But that's how they do things these days.

I can easily understand why you are...hmmm...dissatisfied....I would be too. Very much. A roller bridge is better with a Bigsby.

On the other hand it is probably still a fine instrument - will you be able to find a pre-spec change one?

Hi guys;

if they go on modifying the ES195

they will meet what many customers are waiting for: [thumbup]

ES195 without Bigsby and with Classic 57.

It will be closer to an ES137 Custom ,but with a more friendly Neck

and if they keep the Amber finish and a decent price they will sell thousands.

The present model is filling the on line shops stores( in Europe at least); it seems

that the customers are not crazy about this model as they were with the first batches of

ES339 some years ago ( no one was to be seen for months after the sale of the first

batches in some weeks)

I bought it at Long and Mcquade in Canada. Luckily, l & M know the value of a customer and have ordered the right pickups and the right bridge for me. I understand that Gibson can change specs on a model, but not on a guitar that is already ordered.

Hi guys;

if they go on modifying the ES195

they will meet what many customers are waiting for: [thumbup]

ES195 without Bigsby and with Classic 57.

It will be closer to an ES137 Custom ,but with a more friendly Neck

and if they keep the Amber finish and a decent price they will sell thousands.

The present model is filling the on line shops stores( in Europe at least); it seems

that the customers are not crazy about this model as they were with the first batches of

ES339 some years ago ( no one was to be seen for months after the sale of the first

batches in some weeks)

i thought the 137 had a cener block. the 195 is fully hollow.

+1

yes you are right, I was referring more to she shape and size.

I tried an ES195 and was really enthusiastic,it could have be perfect for my taste

but I do not use a Bigsby (althought I admit that it looks stunning on this guitar!!)

and I appreciated the P94 sound but I like more the classic 57.

I have been also amazed by the sustain ; I' ve always thought that guitars with a center block had more sustain than hollow bodies , may be on the 195 the sustain comes from the taipiece ? I had noticed that on my epi Emperor.

If one has the use of the Bigsby , this guitar is a good choice, a pleasure to play

lighter than the 137.

I hope Gibson will coninue this model, with the present specs or not.

• 6 years later...

I hate to bump an old thread, but this is the top Google result for a search on the ES195 with Classic 57 pickups and the other late-run parts. I have one and love it. I like P90s just fine, but I wouldn’t have bought this guitar without humbuckers. As it is, it’s a slim 175. It’s great for rock, and is easily my favorite guitar.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This thread stared 6 years ago.

Yet it’s still the only correct reference to the particular version of guitar I own and use, on the manufacturer’s forum, so there is some value to continuing the discussion. It’s OK, the database can handle it.

When I bought mine on Reverb, the seller posted some line about how it was a custom order for a endorsed artist, which it’s clearly not; it exactly matches the late-run specs. It’s an excellent, humbucker-equipped, Bigsby-equipped hollow body rock guitar.

• 3 months later...

I bought this guitar at Music-Go-Round for a darn good price. I love everything about it but the pickups. I was thinking about installing some Classic 57s so I searched if anyone had done this. From this page I now see that Gibson made this change in the factory. This is good to know. I like the P94s, but not on this guitar. Looks like I'll be ordering some 57s; but the roller bridge and Bigsby are staying. Thanks for the info! 🙂