Gibson Brands Forums

Smoothing out my neck

DubfromGA

New SG owner....new player.....loving every aspect of my SG (2014 Special). Just had questions about the neck finish.

This thing looks awesome and sounds great. I love the pickups and range of tones I can get from this guitar. I can't believe how stable it is in staying in tune when compared to other guitars I've dealt with. Every couple of sessions I may have a one or two strings need a very minor tweak on the tuning button and it's dead nuts on again.

Anyway...the finish on the guitar is also very much to my liking. I think it will wear nicely and look great as it does so.

The neck, however, does feel "sticky" when compared to my son's Strat or other friend's PRS & Jackson guitars.

Will this be something that will wear down and smooth out over time, too? It's not like my hand is flying up and down the neck right now, anyway.

I keep it wiped down really well before and after use.

I wasn't going to do anything aggressive with it.....like sandpaper or the like. I'm just going to keep using it as my main guitar as I learn and practice. I figure by the time the finish is worn down and it's playing "faster".......my skill level will allow me to play faster and smoother, too. :)

Does this sound about right?

That sticky feeling is from the "nitro" finish not cured completely yet. You can either just leave it and over time it will cure/ dry, or use some naphtha ( essentially lighter fluid) on a rag and rub the neck with it. This is safe for "nitro" finishes. Use in a well vented area, or outside.

Enjoy that SG!

It's not the finish, it's you. Fendurr gives its necks a matte finish that feels great if you squeeze it with big ham hands, but Gibson doesn't. Loosen up and enjoy it.

The best thing you'll ever do for your playing is to squeeze less. The light touch is what you want. Playing guitar doesn't require strength. A glossy finish might feel sticky at first, but it's really about your style. You will adapt to the neck without any sanding.

As for letting it cure: I hate to bring science into a voodoo conversation, but nitro cures in a few weeks. Unless you nabbed a guitar from the assembly line, your guitar has already cured. It will not firm up, but you will get used to it.

I swear, there are stages of new guitar. something like:

OMG LOVE. BEST GUITAR EVAR

what are the best strap locks?

have I missed an accessory?

the neck could be faster

I think I like the neck pickup

it's the 21st century, do tubes really sound that goo...

whoa woman tone is a thing?

10 has its place

That sticky feeling is from the "nitro" finish not cured completely yet. You can either just leave it and over time it will cure/ dry, or use some naphtha ( essentially lighter fluid) on a rag and rub the neck with it. This is safe for "nitro" finishes. Use in a well vented area, or outside.

Enjoy that SG!

That sounds great. I'll keep it wiped down....my hands clean.....and practice my butt off. Sounds as if everything will get sorted out properly in due time.

I'm really smitten with this guitar. I bought a new Peavey Classic 30 the week before my new SG arrived at the dealer.

My first guitar (now sold to pave the way for this SG) had entry level passive pups. They paled in comparison to how sweet this SG sounds with this amp. I just finished my 4th lesson on Friday and as you can imagine I'm still learning the very start of open chords and chord progressions but in my free time I've been learning some different riffs.....some blues, some rock and some metal. With the pickups and this 7-tube amp.....I'm really pleased with the wide range of nice quality sound.

The guitar I started with was more of a niche guitar. This SG, however, seems to be more of jack of all trades.

It's going to be a long while before I can justify needing another guitar......other than a quality acoustic.

Great guitar! Which color did you get? Oh...and, we have a little rule, around here...

if you don't post photos, "it didnt' happen!" [biggrin]

CB

Pics?

Yeah, I took a few. :) My wife was laughing at me......"Why are you taking so many pics?", she asked me. "Because", I said, "It's my first Gibson".

She just rolled her eyes and said, "Whatever.....you just make sure you stick with it and learn how to play it". "Yes, Ma'am", says I. :)

u2H2GGf.jpg?1

FQEWg7n.jpg?2

VJjNPEC.jpg?1

On6MH9R.jpg?2

DHvEPqH.jpg?1

As for letting it cure: I hate to bring science into a voodoo conversation, but nitro cures in a few weeks. Unless you nabbed a guitar from the assembly line, your guitar has already cured. It will not firm up, but you will get used to it.

What "science" did you bring? [scared]

Just like any paint or lacquer, the wrong mixture of the other ingredients and it does not dry correctly. So if the add linseed oil to the mixture ( to bring out the grain) it might remain sticky. Why is one neck smooth and another sticky? Voodoo, I am sure. [flapper]

common with new nitro.

you're going to notice it a lot more in the warmer weather.

keep a clean cotton cloth hand, (or a guitar polishing cloth,, what ever) and just wipe it down.

Eventually you wont have the problem,, but it will take a while.. nitro takes a LONG time to really cure.

What "science" did you bring? [scared]

Just like any paint or lacquer, the wrong mixture of the other ingredients and it does not dry correctly. So if the add linseed oil to the mixture ( to bring out the grain) it might remain sticky. Why is one neck smooth and another sticky? Voodoo, I am sure. [flapper]

I'm sure it sticks to everything but the fur in the case that it is pressed up against. Just like wet lacquer does.

I've always had this problem with sticky necks on Gibsons since my first LP in '65. I've used talcum powder years ago until the neck cured and lost its stickiness.

My last 5 newer Gibsons that I got recently were sticky as well. I've used 600 grit sandpaper and lightly sanded the neck in small circles until it's satin looking. Playing it will make it glossy again and get sticky... sanding repeated. After a year or more, it's non-sticky!

If you don't want to rough up your neck, you could also use carnuba wax...but it's only very temporary.

If you can find them, you can also use Scotchbrite light grey color: Scotch

Sandpaper is more readily available.

I'd just Play it, A LOT...then, simply wipe it down, after each session. [thumbup]

I've never felt the need, to "satinize" my glossy Gibson necks, but, to

each his or her own...always! They are just fine, as long as you wipe

them down, after each session, and don't grip them, too tightly. Humidity,

is a major "sticky" factor, as well.

Talcum powder, on your hands, will help. But, you should still wipe down the necks,

afterward, if for no other reason than to get the transferred talc off. [biggrin]

CB

I'd just Play it, A LOT...then, simply wipe it down, after each session. [thumbup]

I've never felt the need, to "satinize" my glossy Gibson necks, but, to

each his or her own...always! They are just fine, as long as you wipe

them down, after each session, and don't grip them, too tightly. Humidity,

is a major "sticky" factor, as well.

Talcum powder, on your hands, will help. But, you should still wipe down the necks,

afterward, if for no other reason than to get the transferred talc off. [biggrin]

CB

Sounds like a plan.

By the time it's nicely worn in.....my skills should be greatly improved and heading in the right direction.

common with new nitro.

you're going to notice it a lot more in the warmer weather.

keep a clean cotton cloth hand, (or a guitar polishing cloth,, what ever) and just wipe it down.

Eventually you wont have the problem,, but it will take a while.. nitro takes a LONG time to really cure.

Cool.

Warm weather is what we haver here 8 months out of the year.....

The documentation with this guitar showed it was manufactured just a few weeks or so before I bought it.......I guess there is still a great deal of curing time left.

No worries. It's not like my hands fly all over the neck.

Nitro takes LONG to cure and vanish, my friend has this Kramer guitar, with a red resin

transparent body, barely any wood (just the neck), if you put it IN your closet and you sleep

there, you will wake up in the morning intoxicated, and you will know where it comes from.

That EVIL guitar. It sounds good, though, I must add.

Let me see if I understand the issue, you have a limited edition SG and you use it to train and

practice lessons, and you're complaining it is slowing you down?

With all due respect, due you have a teacher? Try to pick off one's own playing 'vices', bad habits

that feel comfortable, hence we repeat it without noticing when learning, it will stick forever without

proper guidance.

Srsly, for practicing you should be useing something you truely hate, like the cheapest Washburn or whatever

you can find, preferrably with unfinished frets, then WHEN you pick up your beloved Gibson (which is not

a student model), you will feel nothing holding you back, I think you did switch too early, whats the urge

to become a rockstar? Geez. You're not ready for your guitar, sir.

Nitro takes LONG to cure and vanish, my friend has this Kramer guitar, with a red resin

transparent body, barely any wood (just the neck), if you put it IN your closet and you sleep

there, you will wake up in the morning intoxicated, and you will know where it comes from.

That EVIL guitar. It sounds good, though, I must add.

Let me see if I understand the issue, you have a limited edition SG and you use it to train and

practice lessons, and you're complaining it is slowing you down?

With all due respect, due you have a teacher? Try to pick off one's own playing 'vices', bad habits

that feel comfortable, hence we repeat it without noticing when learning, it will stick forever without

proper guidance.

Srsly, for practicing you should be useing something you truely hate, like the cheapest Washburn or whatever

you can find, preferrably with unfinished frets, then WHEN you pick up your beloved Gibson (which is not

a student model), you will feel nothing holding you back, I think you did switch too early, whats the urge

to become a rockstar? Geez. You're not ready for your guitar, sir.

I never complained that it's slowing me down.

Yes, I have a teacher.

Trust me.....I have a 1981 model Ovation Celebrity that I hate (wanna buy it for cheap ????) that I also practice with.

I'm probably not ready for any guitar.....but that doesn't stop me from drooling over them. :)

You just said it.

To play guitar well and to be able to mimic your favourite players, do your favourite solos

as well as rhythm work does takes some good years of practice, if you didn't had it when you were

12-15, well, its never too late to learn.

But use that ovation you truely hate with passion, put the SG in the case, and do play the ovation

either until it feels good OR the frets wear out (whatever comes first). By then, or when you get

that click, get the scales well, and some more theory (cmon, its good) you might feel more comfortable

with your guitar. Teacher is good.

OR maybe, some people are best for playing the bass. I am one who wanted to be a bassist, but ended

up playing the guitar, I suppose the opposite also happens. Did you ever try the bass? I cannot live

without mine, at least for the fun of it.

Archived