Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard or Standard Plus (2014)

RobinShredsAllDay

Hi there I am looking to but a new Gibson Les Paul Standard (New 2014 Model) and I am wondering which finish people prefer.

The reason I am asking this is because the finishes on the top for the standard seem brighter and warm where as on the Standard Plus they look dark and faded.

I think I am going to go for the Honey Burst Perimeter but I would like to hear what other people think is the nicest finish and which model to get before I purchase.

Just to let you know I already have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top in cherry burst so I do not want to get a Gibson in a cherry burst finish.

So yeah go ahead and throw your opinions and advice at me :)

Standard Plus Finishes

LP%20Standard%20Plus%20finishes-630-80.jpg

I think there are lots of subtle differences between several items of same model guitars, in playability and tone as well as in looks. Remembering my purchases I have to say that the biggest part of deciding which one to buy happened with closed eyes so to say. In case the playability and tone thing was tied, I went with looks in the end, but in general other points were more important to me. One of these is e. g. my preference for one-piece backs. This feature has always been more important to me than look. The feel of particular fretboards also played a huge role for me.

It is a nice bonus when looks meet tone and playability, I often had this luck, too, but the very beauty of a guitar is in the ear of the beholder. I love guitars I like to listen to. Enjoying the tone supports playing to a high degree in my opinion.

Finally, depending on figuring and graining, any finish may translate the wood and its appearance under various lighting and viewing angles differently. Basically same finishes may also vary. So I will give no other recommendations here than playing, listening, looking, and following your desire in a holistic manner when evaluating real guitars in person.

Hope this helps.

Archived