Gibson Brands Forums

Differences in "tone" on various electric guitars

crust

a Strat is never going to sound like Wes Montgomery.

That's my second musical coincidence of the day. I'm listening to Wes Montgomery now. Earlier today I was emailing someone and a song with their name as the title came on the radio.

And I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned the video of Stevie Ray Vaughan playing an Epiphone and sounding like himself...:-k

That's my second musical coincidence of the day. I'm listening to Wes Montgomery now. Earlier today I was emailing someone and a song with their name as the title came on the radio.

And I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned the video of Stevie Ray Vaughan playing an Epiphone and sounding like himself...:-k

Here he is playing a Riviera. Not the best picture mind you.

srvr.jpg

[thumbup][biggrin]

srvr.jpg

Man, I think that's a great picture....I saw him play once, for about 45 minutes..Played some Hendrix...Opened for Robert Plant. Didn't play the Riviera though...#1 at that show. cool.gif Astounding to say the least. A Riviera that sounds like a Strat...interesting. I do believe he could make any guitar "sound like SRV" msp_smile.gif

srvr.jpg

[thumbup][biggrin]

this thread just went from good to gooder.

what's the skinny on that pickguard? Did Riviera's come stock like that at one point?

Man, I think that's a great picture....I saw him play once, for about 45 minutes..Played some Hendrix...Opened for Robert Plant. Didn't play the Riviera though...#1 at that show. cool.gif Astounding to say the least. A Riviera that sounds like a Strat...interesting. I do believe he could make any guitar "sound like SRV" msp_smile.gif

My favorite blues guitarist. Man I wish I had been able to see him play before he passed away. Just listening to him gives me goose bumps. His brother is pretty good, but not at the level as Steve.

srvr.jpg

Come on Epiphone, make this. A signature 1966 SRV Epiphone Riviera reissue LE with the varitone thing, frequensator tailpiece toomsp_thumbup.gif. Now, I would play that...who else ? mellow.gifmsp_smile.gif

srvr.jpg

Come on Epiphone, make this. A signature 1966 SRV Epiphone Riviera reissue LE with the varitone thing, frequensator tailpiece toomsp_thumbup.gif. Now, I would play that...who else ? mellow.gifmsp_smile.gif

You can count me in. I would love that and many others. When the jingle increases I will start a collection. msp_thumbup.gif

or the dbl neck Dano...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEb4twK5CIE

Electric guitar sounds come down to these things:

1)Guitar scale length

2)guitar pickups

3)Guitar pots,caps

4)Guitar amp ( tube/solid state, what kind of tubes, caps and transformers,preamp(s).

5)Speaker, cab size,open/closed

6)effect pedals

7)Strings (type, gauge)

8)picks(gauge,materials),fingers

9) this is one of the biggest missed items in the sound we hear from (insert artist name)... The sound board and producer, effects. This is afterall the sound we hear on the recording and the biggest influence in the final sound. We really have no idea what (insert artists name) rig really sounds like, only the producers version.

10)guitar cable

11)Mic(type,placement),direct

12)Room size,shape,materials

13)Not to be missed, the players hands and approach to the instrument. I will sound different than you on the exact same guitar/rig.

I probably have missed a few things, but you get the idea, my .02cents on sound

Got the idea but the order had to be a different one, compliant to the signal chain: player, pick if applicable, strings, scale length...

Archived