Gibson Brands Forums

G string slippage.

B-Rad77

Hey there, I have been having this issue with my Epiphone Special II for a while now.

All other strings are fine, but when I go to tune the G string it slips a lot, making tuning very annoying.

When I do manage to get it in tune, it quickly slips out of tune again. There is an audible sound when this happens while tuning, or playing.

Any help would be great.

If it makes a "ping" noise, or something similar, it's probably catching in the nut!

Just have your tech, widen the sting slot, slightly, and/or use some graphite (pencil

lead shavings) in the slot. Should cure the problem. Could be a bad tuning machine,

as well, but that's highly unlikely. More likely to be the "nut." Very common problem,

with a very easy solution.

Good Luck!

CB

I can't afford to take it in at this time. I will try the graphite solution.

If anyone knows of any other causes, or solutions, please chime in.

Thanks For the Help!

solution: wrap it around the tuner peg a few more times than you have been.

one of the best thread titles in recent memory.

And the message seems to be guys...if your G String is slipping, check your nuts. [lol]

LOL! That occurred to me as well.

I cleaned and lubricated the nut, and it is much better, but, not perfect.

Scott0: Next time I restring, I'll do that.

Thanks.

Hey there, I have been having this issue with my Epiphone Special II for a while now.

All other strings are fine, but when I go to tune the G string it slips a lot, making tuning very annoying.

When I do manage to get it in tune, it quickly slips out of tune again. There is an audible sound when this happens while tuning, or playing.

Any help would be great.

When tuning always raise the note to pitch. If you take it sharp then bring it back flat and retune. This allows any slack that may be north of the nut to be taken out and avoiding the dreaded ping when that string decides to let go from binding in the nut slot. I also give a little tug perpindicular to the fretboard at the 12th fret and retune sometimes, especially with new strings.

You can use the string itself as a nut file. Just work the string (or a piece of it) back and forward through the slot exactly as you would if you were using a file. This will widen (if necessary) the slot so that it's the correct size for the gauge of string you are using and will remove any burrs which might be snagging the string.

Also when you fit the strings make sure they are properly locked at the tuner (with just one locking turn on the post, i.e. through the hole then back round under itself and bent up and, over you should be able to pick up the guitar by a string) and really stretched in. Bring them to tune and then stretch them firmly perpendicular to the guitar, retune and repeat until they no longer need retuning.

Finally, if you bend your strings a lot whilst playing you'll often find that it's the G which always ends up needing retuned as generally that's the one which gets bent the most.

Archived