Gibson Brands Forums

2014 SGJ plekked or not?

pauly

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2014 model SGJ because of the price....$544. Dont need it, just sorta want one. Anyone know if they may be plek set up? I'm thinking because of the price they are probably not.

Also the new 61 Zebra pups that come with that particular guitar....anybody have 'em and got any input as to how they compare to say 490's and 498's? I noticed they are alnicos with unbalanced windings, but am curious about how they sound. Wish there was a dealer close enough to me to try one out. TIA.

Yeah, I can vouch for them being plekked. Bought one in February when they were still $499 out the door. Nicest playing Gibson I've played right outta the gate in 20 years.

I got the satin cherry finish & let me tell you, those '61 pickup really are something to sing & dance about.

There's NO downside to this thing...except the price going up. Pull the trigger before they bump 'em up another $50.

Yeah, I can vouch for them being plekked. Bought one in February when they were still $499 out the door. Nicest playing Gibson I've played right outta the gate in 20 years.

I got the satin cherry finish & let me tell you, those '61 pickup really are something to sing & dance about.

There's NO downside to this thing...except the price going up. Pull the trigger before they bump 'em up another $50.

This is great to hear flyinfrets. Thanks, I just ordered it. Fireburst. [thumbup]

Congrats. You won't regret it.

Don't forget...pics when you get it.

I changed the color to a vintage burst instead of fireburst. It should be here Thursday the Sweetwater rep says. I can't do pics here (computer illiterate) but can I e mail them to you and maybe you post them for me?

Sure. Let me know.

Fairly straight forward though. Upload your picture to a host site like photobucket, click the IMG line of the photo you want to share (it will automatically drop the link onto your clipboard) & paste the link here. Like so...

Juniors1.jpg

They're actually dogeared P90s...the one on the DC is a Jason Lollar, but yes, the tone on both is everything you'd expect.

Wasn't sure what to expect from the '61 Zebra's on the new SGJ. They are their own breed but as I said earlier, they're really pleasing to my ear. They do the distortion thing quite nicely, but where I think they truly shine is when the amp is driven just to the point where the signal begins to break up & then dial in a bit more or less to your taste. Very bluesy, smoke & whiskey drenched rock tones. Probably not the best choice for full on metal, but that's not my thing anyway.

They're actually dogeared P90s...the one on the DC is a Jason Lollar, but yes, the tone on both is everything you'd expect.

Wasn't sure what to expect from the '61 Zebra's on the new SGJ. They are their own breed but as I said earlier, they're really pleasing to my ear. They do the distortion thing quite nicely, but where I think they truly shine is when the amp is driven just to the point where the signal begins to break up & then dial in a bit more or less to your taste. Very bluesy, smoke & whiskey drenched rock tones. Probably not the best choice for full on metal, but that's not my thing anyway.

Yep dog ears indeed. Lollars are a good. Cant wait to try the 61 zebras....should be here 2morrow afternoon.

Charlie Brown...my bad..indeed dog ears.

I meant to add that it sounds like the 61's should do nicely for me. I'm an older gent with no metal on the menu lol. I play a lot of clean but also like being able to pinky the volume knob just past the breaking point for some blues or for a tad of low key overdrive. If I need more I use a Bad Monkey to get there.

Archived