Gibson Brands Forums

Wood, stone and iron

btoth76

Hello!

On the weekend I had a visit to a great friend of mine, who is a highly regarded master of artistic blacksmithing. He did some touch-up work on a tool for me.

While there, I thought it would be a good idea to shot some pictures around His house. [biggrin]

Here they are...

HPIM4675_zpsfbca7c94.jpg

HPIM4674_zps0b9d9ec3.jpg

HPIM4669_zps32c1462a.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Impressive! Both the guitar & the iron work.

What about that guitar stand? Really unique!

Hello!

When we were taking the pictures, a small group of people walked by. They stopped for a minute looked at the scene and one of them went: "Wow! What a great looking guitar stand!"

I almost died of laughing...there's a nice guitar, wonderful smithery all over, an old-fashined English style garden, but the guy points out to the stand behind the guitar...

That's when my friend became interested about the stand too. He asked: "Where did You get that?", I said: "Never mind, I carved that stuff from pieces of scrap wood during lonely winter evenings."

Really, compared to His work, my stand is not even worth mentioning it on the same day.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

However He owns a collection of antique machines (ajax-hammers and such) - that any museum would be proud of, He does everything in the traditional way.

I have seen His workshop...I felt like Gulliver in Brobdingnag: well-known to me tools, but everything is oversized. Really oversized.

He has a huge oven, and does everything by hand. He has won most of the European competitions He attended. When He is not doing something artistic, He makes tools for stone-carvers. His tools were used during the restoration of the stonework of the Hungarian Parliament, currently works on the restoration of the Russian Military cemetery in Budapest.

Maybe I can make some snaps...I'll ask Him...

Some of His work: http://www.papppalkovacsmester.hu/en/referencia-munkak/kulteri?AG_MK=0&AG_form_paginInitPages_1=1&AG_form_albumInitFolders_1=Kulteri/Kapu-kerites&AG_form_scrollTop=0&AG_form_scrollLeft=0&AG_MK=0

Best wishes... Bence

that's amazing work !

usually around here a 2.5 ton truck or 18 wheel deisel brake hub is used with "squirrel cage" fans for induction......the largest things that get done are knives (from hoof files) hatchets/axes, and the occasional short-sword....and they all cost dearly for medium grade work.

i'd LOVE to have a full-sized rock & clay covered forge, anvil set and toolset .......i'd charge even more than the current locals ! [laugh]

Hello!

That's a very exciting art! However, He needs all His 120 kilos to that job. I can't even imagine how can someone hammer hot iron for a whole working day long... (I'd be dead after 10 minutes doing that). [scared]

...That forge looks awesome. I dropped my jaw when He told me how much coal it consumes...

Cheers... Bence

Archived