Gibson Brands Forums

Collectors choice.

LarryUK

I would love to buy the Collector's Choice #12 Henry Juszkiewicz 1957 Les Paul or the collectors choice Tom Sholtz Gibson Les Paul but not beaten up and dented.I want my Collectors choice to be exactly like theirs but on the day it was bought new,right from the music store.It's still a copy of there guitar just before it got marked up on tour or the recording studio.I also collect viking swords but I dont want my copy to look like it has been in the ground or river for 1000 years but what the sword looked like when Ragnar got it from the blacksmith.Basikly you can still have a copy of your favorite guitar players LP but why not as I said like he bought it, not 40 years later all beaten up,could it sound much better all marred up with dents,just a thought.BTW is it a great job or do you have to be a bit of a sadist to beat marks in a brand new guitar sorry I couldnt do it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love to buy the Collector's Choice #12 Henry Juszkiewicz 1957 Les Paul......but not beaten up and dented.I want my Collectors choice to be exactly like theirs but on the day it was bought new,right from the music store.It's still a copy of there guitar just before it got marked up on tour or the recording studio...

But why didn't you say so before? There's absolutely nothing stopping you from doing so, buliwyf.

Here's the link;

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1957-Les-Paul-Goldtop-Reissue.aspx

Pics when she arrives!

[thumbup]

P.

I dont want just a 57 reissue with custom buckers (as listed) but the Tom Shultz 57 reissue as he bought it new not a copy of his years later.Dosent Gibson pull out the pickups and check the wire sizing,windings and ohms to exact the pickups.I want mine to weigh exactly the same as new when Tom bought it.The exact color of the goldtop and back as colors of the backs vary from light to dark. Really I'm not trying to be a jerk or troll I'm having a hard time explaining what I want to say sorry!But there must be tonal/sound differances between the collectors editions (is there) besides just the dents in it. (Sarcasm)Wow I want the Jimmy Page version because I like the wear pattern better not because it sounds different.Again sorry but this denting up a brand new guitar because you guitar hero's guitar has the same marks in it just dosent make sense to me.Unless I get flamed for this it's last I'll say mostly because my mind is having trouble seeing the prices for the dents.Just my opinion.

Here's my take on the whole Relic'd / Artist Models.

Just because you have one of these guitars, it's not going to make you any better of a player than you already are or are destined to be.

I can see "collectors" buying these as something to admire, hang on your wall, show off to your friends just like any other piece of art.

If you have the money, then there's nobody stopping you. And this is just a side of Gibson's business plan to make more money.

I'll buy a brand new un-relic'd guitar, which I already did, and if I happen to get famous with it, then Gibson can relic my model and sell it for big bucks 20-30 years in the future. I'd be honored. Problem is, I take meticulous care of my guitar and I would hope all Gibson would have to do is replicate the finish.

[biggrin] [biggrin]

Intention or not, conciously or not, purposely or not, there is, to me, only one reason to own such a thing. Convincing yourself you have a vintage guitar is one thing, but enough people with that sort of thing have tried to convince myself or others while I have been present that they have a vintage guitar and the fact is, they don't. People make fake things all the time and sell them, and this is just another fake thing made by someone that happens to be a legitimate maker of that fake thing.

All of that aside, the very first relic'd guitars I played were some Fedner Nocasters and they indeed felt as though Leo himself had slobbered, sweated, and spilled fake eye juice on them because MAN they were nice.

rct

We know you are neither a jerk or a troll, buliwyf. No worries on that score.

I can't comment on the exact specs of the Hank '57 as I can't find them listed but usually, yes, the CS install custom-wound p'ups as near as possible the same resistance as are fitted to the original being replicated.

As for the rest I'm not quite sure what you are after if the R7 isn't close enough for your wishes.

As regards the '57 G-T;

The batches of paint used in '57 would have varied slightly from one batch to the next. A guitar painted in January might well be a different colour to a guitar painted in July.

Mahogany varies in colour from tree to tree. It follows that a darker slab of mahogany will almost certainly be darker following application of the stain / lacquer.

Rosewood for the 'board? From dark reddish-brown to almost ebony-black.

Wood also weighs differently depending on a wide variety of factors. I'm sure Gibson could weigh the blanks and work out which would be as near as poss to the original when completed but I don't know if they do.

As far as the Tom Scholz LP goes; it was a '68 G-T P-90 equipped (so-called) Standard to which Scholz fitted a DiMarzio Super Distortion.

What is it you want? A replica of a '68/'69 Les Paul 'Standard' (i.e. Gold-Top version V) as was the original instrument before it was modified? A replica with the modifications?

And the rest - pickup sounds and so-on.

Well, as is well known JP has had various p'ups in his #1 and #2 LPs so which year / specification should Gibson re-issue?

As it was when he bough it from Joe Walsh? As it was when he last played with Zep? Is either more 'accurate' than the other?

And without the player actually being JP / TS / PG / GM etc the guitars are never going to sound exactly like they were when played by those players in any case.

I want a pony that flys!

You'll need to go over to the PRS forum for that, I'm afraid.

P.

I want a pony that flys!

You'll need to go over to the PRS forum for that, I'm afraid.

P.

They make ponies that fly? At the PRS factory or the PRS forum? Guess I missed something all these years. [scared]

[biggrin]

My take on it is that if you have the desire & the means to buy one of these, by all means, go for it.

For me personally, I have no interest in buying fake mojo. It isn't really mojo, it's just fake. I prefer to keep my guitars looking as nice as possible (just another man's choice - not right or wrong), but I have indeed ended up with some seriously roadworn gear over the years. Many looked exactly like these pre-abused new guitars Gibson & Fender keep releasing. Difference was, every one of the road scars on those well travelled beaters had a story. The bourbon stains in the control cavity from playing when I was too boozed up & should've known better, the cigarrette burns in the headstocks from parking butts there during a solo...the point is, the mojo was real, collected from living & riding the instruments hard & putting them away wet (sometimes literally).

They were certainly functional, some were real players, but again, me personally, I didn't think they were attractive or works of art...and they were MY guitars. When they were eventually replaced, it wasn't with something that looked as beat-up as what I was replacing.

Yeah, it's all a matter of taste & personal choice. Buy what you like & I'll do the same. But please don't be pissed that I'm not impressed by your manufactured mojo machine when you show it to me.

I have always found it funny that every assumes these sort of guitars are bought by rich guys who don't play them but just hang them on the wall. [rolleyes]

I believe most of them are bought by pro player that don't want to take their $50,000 instruments on the road.

...I have no interest in buying fake mojo...

Have you an interest in buying real mojo?......:-k

All kidding aside, flyingfrets, I think pretty much everyone here shares your viewpoint.

We'd all rather the dings and dents came about through our own experiences rather than from some guy at a workbench bashing a brand new guitar with a bicycle chain.

Just to contradict myself 100%...

If you DO like pre-beaten LPs check out item #125 (third from bottom) at Mark's Guitar Loft. Click on the thumb-nail for the high-res images.

I have never seen a more convincing fake '59 replica than this one. Luckily for me (and my bank balance/marriage) it's no longer available...

http://www.marksguit...p?cat=electrics

P.

I have always found it funny that every assumes these sort of guitars are bought by rich guys who don't play them but just hang them on the wall. [rolleyes]

I believe most of them are bought by pro player that don't want to take their $50,000 instruments on the road.

the guys buying them on MLP are definitely rich guys hanging them on the wall [lol]

I rather suspect that the reason many aspiring guitarists choose one model over another is due to this very point, pin.

How many lads of my generation bought a Les Paul because of Jimmy Page?

How many lads of a more recent generation bought a Les Paul because of Slash?

How many SGs have been sold because of Angus Young? Tony Iommi?

How many folks bought a Strat because of Jimi Hendrix/Rory Gallagher/Ritchie Blackmore/Mark Knopfler?

My stance in this debate is pretty much that of 'Devil's Advocate'. I've never bought a deliberately pre-beat-up guitar - nor am I ever likely to do so.

I've never been one for idolatry and the prospect of having a LP as close as possible to, for example, J.P.'s #1 doesn't hold any fascination for me.

But I can fully understand why some people will get a genuine thrill in having such an instrument - and that goes for all the CC range.

And it's not just the 'Spotty Herberts' amongst us who covet these sorts of replicas...

In the 'Top-wrapping is an old idea' (or whatever) thread there is a picture of Marc Bolan with his LP.

Gibson released an Artist's Sig issue based on a version of this guitar a year or so ago with 100 getting the 'aged' treatment.

I know that many players would love to have bought one of these guitars. I believe one person who did buy such an example was Joe Walsh...

P.

My Les Pauls because of Danny Kirwan and Peter Green. I must also throw EC on this list because of his standard bar setting from his work with The Bluesbreakers...

In my youth my Strat because of Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, and SRV...

With me it was a tonal thing. I loved the sound they were getting and I wanted to achieve something relatively close to that sound for myself. I wanted to every once in a while hit a lick and have it make me smile because it made me think of them... It can and does happen too.

Clearly I understand that tone is in the hands, most tonal characteristics are from the hands of the player and not the instrument. I have to struggle often to hear the difference when Peter Green is playing his Strat vs The Holy Grail Les Paul from his Fleetwood Mac days!

Eric Clapton has the most unStrat-like unique Strat tone period. I've often described it (that unique bright/shimmery quality) as sounding like a little girl going tinkle... (in comparison to the much heavier/deeper more over-driven tones of others) But it's his and he wields it with the confidence and attitude of knowing it's his and his alone! In that context it is great!

Clearly he's also had Clapton Les Paul tone from his days with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and he had his SG tone with The Fool in Cream, and he also had his ES335 tone with the original Cream version of Crossroads...

I think Slowhand has played every model of axe there ever was at one time or another, and made them all sound like him!

For me it comes from hearing the sounds I like best, finding out who is playing it, and then finding out what they are playing it on...

But I've never wanted someone else's beat-up/abused or even used guitar... I've always wanted a new shiny/glossy one like it...

I'm a VOS man for sure! I like the CC series very much, but have no use for the aged versions...

They still make music videos where musicians fake play their instuments to the song. Last I checked MTV was a reality TV channel. Wish I had $50,00 instuments.

hughesy-1.jpg

He plays it live too. Has been for years.

10170970_10152027981317657_1696405374863199393_n.jpg

A lot of the dings and scratches you see in old guitars come from transporting them, moving and laying them around but yet it is claimed as real mojo,

I do not know what is more poser, a relic guitar or a shinny one.

I have one too.

3.jpg

5.jpg

And I like it just fine. I'm dumbfounded that folks think a beat up guitar is very cool and therefor has "mojo" unless it was intentionally beat up in which case it's actually offensive to behold. As if SRV's #1 Strat looks good when he bought but his ruthless dedication to squeezing toooooone out of his ax was more than the guitar finish could stand. [rolleyes]

Guitar players are silly. [biggrin]

I'm dumbfounded that folks think a beat up guitar is very cool and therefor has "mojo" unless it was intentionally beat up in which case it's actually offensive to behold.

Guitar players are silly. [biggrin]

I'm in neither of those camps. I don't believe in 'mojo'. And I don't think beat up guitars are cool.

I don't believe that if I have SRV's guitar that I will be overcome with any voodoo chile magic.

What I do believe in is that if I'm paying several thousand for a guitar,, ANY guitar, I want it

in pristine condition.

I think mojo is a crock.

I do think that different guitars draw out different playing.. but that is inherent to the guitar, nothing to do with mojo.

I really don't care how people spend their money. That is their business.

I only care how I spend mine.

The only beat up guitar I will ever buy is a used one. But sadly now with todays ridiculous vintage market

that is getting harder to do.

I agree with you.. Guitar players are silly.

I just can't think of anything else you pay for that is like a guitar.

A house that needs work, paint, cosmetics, bits screwed back on it, is a fixer upper, and the buyer can move the price around quite a it.

A car that is dented, needs paint, some rips in the fabric, one odd wheel maybe, it runs great, ice cold a/c, but the buyer moves the price considerably.

A washer that only runs cold water because the hot solenoid is busted, paired with a dryer that only runs one cycle because the knob doesn't work anymore, both are scratched up and maybe dented, have some minor rust showing around the edges, they are used, and good for starting out, and priced accordingly.

But guitars? Man. Who can figure that out? I need to pay three times more for one that is, in any other object sold, basically not only used, but in some cases beat to sh1t.

There can be only one reason for that, to me, and it isn't a good one.

rct

My Les Paul has the so-called VOS finish, I did not want to pay another $400 to get the shinny version.

I also don't buy real blue jeans, they shrink and wear like crap, I do however choose my jeans with the wear I like.

Archived