Gibson Brands Forums

Played a Gibson Clone today, Guild 12 fret, deep body, round shoulder jumbo with Guild in script logo…..

onewilyfool

Played a Gibson Clone today, Guild 12 fret, deep body, round shoulder jumbo with Guild in script logo…..A hat's off to Ren and his Guild Roy Smeck. VERY nice guitar, $3200….ouch…..Has a VERY Gibson like compressed sound, with heavy mids. Excellent fit and finish. You can see Ren's hand all over this one. I hope Guild keeps building these quality type guitars.

The Orpheums look intriguing but are even harder to go find to try out that your regular old run of the mill Guild.

Six calls just made to six music shops listed as Guild dealers. Not one Orpheum-12 to be found. Thanks a lot, Wily- way to throw GAS on the fire ; ) .

• 1 year later...

I have one of the elusive Orpheums for sale. Here's the listing on AGF: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416713

In case you're wondering, I haven't posted it here because I only recently joined this forum (to do some Gibson research) and it seemed like it would be rude, or tacky, or something ... to join up and immediately post a classified.

I'm lucky enough to own one too. Looks just like gfa's. I'm glad somebody here that knows Gibsons better than I got to play one and weigh in about it. Dan, the nut width is 1.80 inches on mine and the neck is full without being overwhelming. It plays/feels narrower than the spec. Sunburst is on every facet of the guitar including the SIDES of the headstock! Very light in weight overall. String spacing is 2 1/4" on mine. It takes me a song or two to get used to it and then it rocks. As anyone with multiple guitars knows, different fit and feel on each one requires some accommodation. It's easier to play up to a wider neck, imo, than it is to go down to something like a 1 5/8's after you've been playing 1 11/16's or 1 3/4's. But Ren had just finished working with Jackson Browne on his signature guitar when he left and went to Guild. I get the feeling he just wanted to do something without any restrictions from anybody. I wish I could afford an Orpheum Jumbo too but...whoa. Mine is my only 12 fretter and fills the bill entirely.

I have one of the elusive Orpheums for sale. Here's the listing on AGF: http://www.acousticg...ad.php?t=416713

In case you're wondering, I haven't posted it here because I only recently joined this forum (to do some Gibson research) and it seemed like it would be rude, or tacky, or something ... to join up and immediately post a classified.

GFA - we do 'tacky' here ! Welcome Aboard. Jim

I have one of the elusive Orpheums for sale. Here's the listing on AGF: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416713

I almost pulled the trigger on the one owned by gfa. Someone give it a home!

Yellow Mama Music has a Guild Orpehum 14 fret rosewood dread for around $2000. You can find them on the web

Contact Information

Yellow Mama Music LLC

200 Spartanburg Highway

Lyman, SC 29365

Title: Member

Phone: 864-949-0004

Yellow Mama Music has a Guild Orpehum 14 fret rosewood dread for around $2000. You can find them on the web

Contact Information

Yellow Mama Music LLC

200 Spartanburg Highway

Lyman, SC 29365

Title: Member

Phone: 864-949-0004

$2k for a new Orpheum? That would be a fantastic price.

It is used, the original tuners have been replaced with Grover 18:1 Sta-Tite tuners and the originals are in the case. It has an amazing sound.

If it's used I'll downgrade my price assessment from "fantastic" to "very good." Several Orpheum owners, including me, replaced the stock tuners. They look real purty, but are pretty stiff and the small buttons make them hard to turn.

Archived