Gibson Brands Forums

What tuning is this?

livemusic

I am wondering what tuning this is. He's quite a picker, you can see at about 3:20, he picks to the end. And plays behind the capo. Looks like that capo is fretting five strings.

I don't know what kind of guitar that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1DqlwD5dtY

I can't tell the tuning but it's a quite sure it's a Martin guitar.......and man can't he play it! I'm a half a dozen years older than this guy and this is first time I've ever heard of Him.....Thanks!

I can't tell the tuning but it's a quite sure it's a Martin guitar.......and man can't he play it! I'm a half a dozen years older than this guy and this is first time I've ever heard of Him.....Thanks!

He's made a career for himself in the Americana genre. Good picker, writes some good storytelling lyrics. His dad is a prose writer, seems he wrote western novels.

Well, the song is in C major and he's capoed on the 5th fret with the bass string tuned to C, so I think it's tuned CGDGGB. So with the capo on the 5th fret with the 6th string open, the open tuning sounds like CCGCCE from the notes I'm hearing. Sounds like a variation on the Stills tuning. One of the chords he's using a lot is fretting the 4th string on the 7th fret and 1st string on the 6th.

DC

He's made a career for himself in the Americana genre. Good picker, writes some good storytelling lyrics. His dad is a prose writer, seems he wrote western novels.

His dad is "Larry McMurtry", he wrote Terms of endearment, & Lonesome dove. He's actually more famous, than James!

RNC is on the right track, with a little adjustment. The tuning IS in open C. I'm pretty sure it is (low to high) CBDGBD, which with the capo makes it CEGCEG. This way only three strings are different than standard. His F chord uses 6th fret on the second string and 7th fret on the fourth string.

I am wondering what tuning this is. He's quite a picker, you can see at about 3:20, he picks to the end. And plays behind the capo. Looks like that capo is fretting five strings.

I don't know what kind of guitar that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1DqlwD5dtY

Not sure what brand it is.....but for sure....it is one that won,t stay in tune during this song... [crying]

Archived