Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Studio vs Melody Maker vs LPJ

rwfelton

This time last year MF used was full of 2013 models, and the year before 2012, and so on, and so on. A new model comes out and you get the usual candidates who order 'em with no intention of keeping them, just to try them out. Full credit to MF for listing them as used though. A lot of other sites just relist them under the new section again, when even at best they're supposed to be relisted as "B stock".

I had a 2013 Studio, and much prefer my '14 all 'round, even though I had to buy a case for it. [smile]

that is one of the things i questioned about my 14 studio. but zzounds reassured me that mine was still factory sealed when i got it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the 490T and R were a little too bright for me at first and not equal in volume. set the height on everything and evened them out. now i love them too.

You think the 490T and R are unequal in volume? You wanna try the 498T and the 490R! You need to adjust the 498T so low that it almost falls off its springs to get anywhere near equal with those 2. Maybe one reason Gibson teamed the 490R up again with the 490T.

You think the 490T and R are unequal in volume? You wanna try the 498T and the 490R! You need to adjust the 498T so low that it almost falls off its springs to get anywhere near equal with those 2. Maybe one reason Gibson teamed the 490R up again with the 490T.

all my other gibsons have some sort of 57 in them so they took some getting used to. but i did quite a bit of adjusting and got them to where i am happy. it was the 490T that was throwing me off. the R had great tone qualities. but, like i said, all is fine now and i love this thing.

I have the 13 lpj pro and I absolutely love it, sounds great with the coils split and feels fantastic, it is in cherry stain and, I also play a 03 melody maker single p90, and I have to say the lpj pro is a beast of an axe for the price

I have the 13 lpj pro and I absolutely love it, sounds great with the coils split and feels fantastic, it is in cherry stain and, I also play a 03 melody maker single p90, and I have to say the lpj pro is a beast of an axe for the price

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. p90s. i love p90s. i was actually looking at the melody maker or an earlier model 60s tribute with the p90s. i still ended up with the 2014 studio. not complaining at all though. i had an epiphone riviera p93. loved it. i had a good friend of mine that i used to jam with. we started learning together as kids and always jammed off and on throughout the years. he had gone without an electric guitar for about 15 years so i let him have it for really cheap. i miss that axe but i know it is in good hands. and i will get the 60s tribute or a 14 melody maker here pretty soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to Gibson guitars, long time Fender player. I just bought a 2013 Studio. I was interested in the 2013 Studio, 2014 Studio and the 2014 LPJ. I did not try the Melody Maker. The 2014 Studio did not appeal to me in sound nor in finish. The 490R/T combo was too dark for my liking. I also do not like painted necks. The LPJ that has the Zebra Humbuckers was a nice guitar. It felt good and sounded great. If you are into a stripped down guitar, this one semed to be pretty good.

I am new to Gibson guitars, long time Fender player. I just bought a 2013 Studio. I was interested in the 2013 Studio, 2014 Studio and the 2014 LPJ. I did not try the Melody Maker. The 2014 Studio did not appeal to me in sound nor in finish. The 490R/T combo was too dark for my liking. I also do not like painted necks. The LPJ that has the Zebra Humbuckers was a nice guitar. It felt good and sounded great. If you are into a stripped down guitar, this one semed to be pretty good.

it took me some time to get the pickups set right on the studio.... they were too bright for me compared to the 57s in my other guitar. i like the LPJ but for some reason it irks me that they couldn't stamp les paul on the headstock... kind of like fender always put the made in mexico on the front of their headstocks... but no the american mades have it on the back... it shouldn't be about the appearance as much as it is the tone.... but if the lowest priced LP (the melody maker) can have it then why not the LPJ?

The 490R/T combo was too dark for my liking.

[confused] The 498T/490R is even darker sounding! I was thinking about a '14 LPJ, but the 50s neck profile, and extra weight of the Traditional, in comparison to Modern weight relief, swayed me to the '14 Studio. It's a much better playing and sounding guitar than my '13 Studio. Maybe my '13 was just an average one?

I have a '14 Studio and the Maple neck doesn't bother me one little bit. In fact I prefer it to the Mahogany I had on my '13 Studio. I don't intend to drop it, but if the unthinkable happened I'd like to think the Maple wouldn't be as inclined to crack. I did like the 498T on my '13, but the 490T on the '14 sounds just as good. Plenty of meaty humbucker sounds, and oddles of sustain. The one down side is the lack of a case, but in the UK the '14 is £200 cheaper than the '13 was this time last year, so that gives you plenty of scope to get a case of your own choosing. I heartily recommend a '14 model over the Granadillo fretboard '13!

11t9551.jpgt0srw0.jpg

Nice axes! [thumbup] Easily to discern, but hard to decide... [rolleyes]

;)

[confused] The 498T/490R is even darker sounding! I was thinking about a '14 LPJ, but the 50s neck profile, and extra weight of the Traditional, in comparison to Modern weight relief, swayed me to the '14 Studio. It's a much better playing and sounding guitar than my '13 Studio. Maybe my '13 was just an average one?

Well, I think an average Les Paul is still a nice one, and doesn't mean mediocre in my opinion. I am sure there are better ones and inferior ones, but most differences I heard out while checking them out at dealers are either delicate and a matter of taste. There may appear some troubles in workmanship being dealbreakers for me, i. e. E strings flipping off the fretboard due to bad fret edge work, but I never found a single Gibson Les Paul guitar which lacked tone or sustain.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree. There is not a 498T bridge pickup to be found on the 2014 models. And what's with all these Maple Necks and Baked Maple Boards? Call me a purist, but to me a Les Paul means Mahogany body and Mahogany neck. Also, as pointed out by other members, you can't get a Traditional with a 60's Slim-Tapered neck. As for the pickups, there are now way too many '57 paf wannabees. '57 Classic, '57 Classic Plus, Burstbucker 1, 2, 3 and Burstbucker Pro. Not to mention no more Hard Case with the Studios. Just my opinion....... To each his/her own! :unsure:

P.S. There are still some 2012 and 2013 models floating around out there, brand new with the Gibson Warranty.

Oh and that inlay at the 12th fret has got to go...

I have a 2014 les paul studio and I love it. I traded in a Sig T les paul for it and I love it. I hate the 498T pickup and love the 490R/T pickups the studio come with. And the 2014 comes with a rosewood fretboard. I prefer a maple neck as it is more unlikely to break the way the mahogany necks break.

Here is my blue 2014 les paul studio.

IMG_0435_zps88536c67.jpg

I have a 2014 les paul studio and I love it. I traded in a Sig T les paul for it and I love it. I hate the 498T pickup and love the 490R/T pickups the studio come with. And the 2014 comes with a rosewood fretboard. I prefer a maple neck as it is more unlikely to break the way the mahogany necks break.

My thoughts exactly!

I have plenty of LP's with Humbuckers, both full sized, and mini-humbuckers.

The Melody Maker is a great little guitar, light, thin, awesome playability,

and great tone, with the P-90's! Priced right, as well. So, of the 3 mentioned,

that's the way "I'd" go, at this point. But, they all seem nice... [thumbup]

CB

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts exactly!

I used to be friends with one of the top luthiers here in this city and he used to tell me he has put his kids through college from the money he has made over the years repairing Les Paul studios. He told me that Gibson uses it's cheapest Mahogany on the studio necks and thus the most repairs he ever did on Gibsons he said was always repairing the broken headstocks on the Les Paul studio's. He was serious and said to stay away from studio's or be real careful.

This turned me off of studio's for many years. But I love the new 2014 studio as I know that maple neck isn't going to break. In fact on my birthday it fell over 3 times. Not a scratch on it but I am really certain had it been the traditional mahogany neck it would be broken or cracked.

I know from all the Fender guitars I have owned that maple necks are near indestructible.

Hello!

I seriously doubt that Gibson stocks "B", or "C"-quality mahogany.

If You have seen a Studio with natural finish, You'll understand where Gibson saves money.

While Standards' and Traditionals' bodies are made of one, or - most likely - two pieces of mahogany slabs, the Studio's body is made of all the leftovers glued together into new slabs, then cut and routed to shape.

Take a look at the side of my Studio's body, right at the pickguard's chromed console. You can see two straight lines in the wood, an inch away from each other. Joint marks:

LPST50WGCH8.jpg

Also, look at the back:

LPST50WGCH5.jpg

But that is true for the body of the guitars. The necks are made in the same way on all Gibsons (Studio on left, Classic Custom in the middle):

HPIM3406_zpsf306e052.jpg

Studios also have a half centimeter thinner bodies, than the upper range Les Pauls. Otherwise, it is the same wood. All the visible differences between the two natural-coloured guitars comes from the absence of the filler, and the thinner finish on the Studio.

Cheers... Bence

I used to be friends with one of the top luthiers here in this city and he used to tell me he has put his kids through college from the money he has made over the years repairing Les Paul studios. He told me that Gibson uses it's cheapest Mahogany on the studio necks and thus the most repairs he ever did on Gibsons he said was always repairing the broken headstocks on the Les Paul studio's. He was serious and said to stay away from studio's or be real careful.

This turned me off of studio's for many years. But I love the new 2014 studio as I know that maple neck isn't going to break. In fact on my birthday it fell over 3 times. Not a scratch on it but I am really certain had it been the traditional mahogany neck it would be broken or cracked.

I know from all the Fender guitars I have owned that maple necks are near indestructible.

I take it that your friend is Ed Roman of Ed Roman Guitars of Vegas and his rant about Gibson Broken Necks: http://www.edroman.c..._paul_necks.htm just so he can push his guitars.

the problem is that the 17deg back angle makes for very little wood at the headstock on all Gibsons..

not the fact that it is cheap wood.

R7chopped4.jpg

I think the 2014 lineup is outstanding altogether.

I have a 2014 LPJ, and it's a great guitar. I did

change the pickups out for the 490 R 498 T combo,

as they better suit my preferences. I also changed

the TRC to add a touch of class to it. I like the other

two. Tried a melody maker and liked it, the p90's are

awesome pickups, just not for the kinda stuff I like to

play. I haven't tried the new studio, but I've read

lots of great reviews and seen a few videos of. Sounds

really good. Though I'm not a fan of the darkened creme

plastics. They should've stuck with black. Overall,

great lineup on the lower end. Great lineup, period.

good thing the 14s are maple necks.... all mahogany necks can break easily. it is a harder more brittle wood. maple is more forgiving. plus the angle of the headstock makes a big difference too. usually when the headstocks or fixed they are stronger than they were before they broke. one reason i don't use guitar stands... when the strap comes off it goes in the case.

I picked up a LPJ at the local Guitar Center this evening. Tried playing it. It just felt kind of bland. I was expecting something a bit heavier I guess.

that's because at GC they never change the strings, the intonations get thrown off, and they never clean the guitars.

Archived