Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Studio vs Melody Maker vs LPJ

rwfelton

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, I see alot of people talk about headstock breakage with les pauls. And I know it happens, but I have played les pauls since the early 90's and have owned both studio's and Standards, and now I have added Trad Pro II's to my arsenal. Not once have I ever worried about neck breakage. I have gigged with all of my guitars, and although I do not throw my guitars around on stage, I do not baby them either, and I have never broken a headstock on a les paul. That being said, I never leave them places that they have the opportunity to be knocked over, or unattended. because when I was younger I left my Ibanez unattended on a stand, and it got knocked over and the headstock broke off, the ibanez had a wizard neck on it, very thin profile, and maple. Ever since then I do not leave my guitars in a position to get knocked over. and I never leave my guitars out unattended. I think people worry a little to much about this issue. it can happen to any guitar, maple or mahogany.

I disagree. There is not a 498T bridge pickup to be found on the 2014 models. And what's with all these Maple Necks and Baked Maple Boards? Call me a purist, but to me a Les Paul means Mahogany body and Mahogany neck. Also, as pointed out by other members, you can't get a Traditional with a 60's Slim-Tapered neck. As for the pickups, there are now way too many '57 paf wannabees. '57 Classic, '57 Classic Plus, Burstbucker 1, 2, 3 and Burstbucker Pro. Not to mention no more Hard Case with the Studios. Just my opinion....... To each his/her own! :unsure:

P.S. There are still some 2012 and 2013 models floating around out there, brand new with the Gibson Warranty.

Oh and that inlay at the 12th fret has got to go...

A baked Maple board is now becoming a highly sought-after prize! Everyone I've heard review them say they are spectacular and play as good as any Ebony board...

What about the les popular Super '57? Found most often on Epiphones I believe but also on more obscure Gibson models from things I've heard...

The Burstbucker 1&2 are AlNiCo 2 and have some awesome vintage tone, the Type 3 I can't recall if it's either AlNiCo 5 or not but the Burstbucker Pro is AlNiCo 5.

I prefer AlNiCo 2 for tone and the 490R/498T combination is probably about my all time favorite combination!

I think my next investment in an axe is going to be a Les Paul Custom or an R6, depending on what I come across, but doubt it will happen this year. I got to pay off my last Les Paul still... rolleyes.gif

I don't know, I see alot of people talk about headstock breakage with les pauls. And I know it happens, but I have played les pauls since the early 90's and have owned both studio's and Standards, and now I have added Trad Pro II's to my arsenal. Not once have I ever worried about neck breakage. I have gigged with all of my guitars, and although I do not throw my guitars around on stage, I do not baby them either, and I have never broken a headstock on a les paul. That being said, I never leave them places that they have the opportunity to be knocked over, or unattended. because when I was younger I left my Ibanez unattended on a stand, and it got knocked over and the headstock broke off, the ibanez had a wizard neck on it, very thin profile, and maple. Ever since then I do not leave my guitars in a position to get knocked over. and I never leave my guitars out unattended. I think people worry a little to much about this issue. it can happen to any guitar, maple or mahogany.

if you don't want a broken headstock then don't use guitar stands and always use strap locks.

• 2 weeks later...

what are you guys doing that the guitar is falling off of the strap all the time? [confused]

i have straps that are as old as my kids, and never once has a guitar fallen off. i am careful about how i put the strap on the button though. i don't even have trouble with my strat, which has the little buttons on it

what are you guys doing that the guitar is falling off of the strap all the time? [confused]

i have straps that are as old as my kids, and never once has a guitar fallen off. i am careful about how i put the strap on the button though. i don't even have trouble with my strat, which has the little buttons on it

I've never had any problems with that myself, so I can't say.

I've just bought myself a 2014 LP Studio (photos to follow) and I love it. It's a great playing guitar.

My two notes would be such:

• The neck, being of maple construction on the "lower 3" models, makes a brighter sound when playing acoustically, and when plugged in with the 490 pickups it has a certain 'twang' that my Traditional Pro II does not. I know this is one of those subjective things in some respects.
  • I opened up the hood (back plate) and have found that the Studio (don't know about the other 2) has a variant of the Gibson Quick Connect system, which makes it nicely suited customisation.

Hope this is of some use.

I've just bought myself a 2014 LP Studio (photos to follow) and I love it. It's a great playing guitar.

My two notes would be such:

• The neck, being of maple construction on the "lower 3" models, makes a brighter sound when playing acoustically, and when plugged in with the 490 pickups it has a certain 'twang' that my Traditional Pro II does not. I know this is one of those subjective things in some respects.
  • I opened up the hood (back plate) and have found that the Studio (don't know about the other 2) has a variant of the Gibson Quick Connect system, which makes it nicely suited customisation.

Hope this is of some use.

i love my 2014 studio. i did change out the plastics and the knobs though.... tone wise and playability? not disappointed one bit.

d7806895-c6ff-446a-8a27-9d9a0922bf0f.jpg

i love my 2014 studio. i did change out the plastics and the knobs though.... tone wise and playability? not disappointed one bit.

d7806895-c6ff-446a-8a27-9d9a0922bf0f.jpg

Nice LP, man. I'm not a big fan of the dark creme plastics either. The knobs you put on it look better than the stock ones, too.

...The neck, being of maple construction on the "lower 3" models, makes a brighter sound when playing acoustically, and when plugged in with the 490 pickups it has a certain 'twang' that my Traditional Pro II does ...

Yes, that`s typical with chambered guitars.

Cheers... Bence

By the way, maple necks...

What can be even stronger? A multiple-piece maple neck, right? Still...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1977-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-STANDARD-CHERRY-BURST-VINTAGE/261468859494?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22573%26meid%3D6680963043283736906%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D9766%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D171297501515#ht_4354wt_1104

...they can be broken.

A guitar is a musical instrument, treat it as such! Don't play tennis with it, don't use it as a lifting bar, etc...

Necks don't break without a reason. ;)

Cheers... Bence

Yes, that`s typical with chambered guitars.

Cheers... Bence

Hah! I'd completely forgotten about the chambering / weight relief. The "modern" weight relief sure does take a lot of the wood out. The studio still resonates until the cows come home but wouldn't mind a bit more depth.

Ah well; still love the thing. Might go for an upgrade on some locking Klusons.

Archived