Gibson Brands Forums

Thread Title Deleted by Author

SoundMaster

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember Vandenberg! Which must have stirred my memory - anyone remember Talas?

Billy Sheehan literally destroyed my tolerance for high frequencies with his harmonic-laden bass solo in 1983.

Haphazard

I remember Talas very well. Billy Sheehan is incredible on the bass. He is basically the Eddie Van Halen of the bass.

They did some tours here in Canada but I never made my way out to see them. Thanks for the memories.

Do the Tygers of Pantang stir up your memory?

Rock On,

MississippiBlue

Do the Tygers of Pantang stir up your memory?

They do mine, MB!

My friend who was into all the US bands from the mid-'70s on had their early albums (up to around '83?) and played them to death.

He was also into Michael Moorcock's fantasy books so it all formed a sort of 'virtual world' for him.

It was only much, much later that I knew that John Sykes was in the band before he was part of Lizzy and Whitesnake.

Going back to the other bands he was into;

Montrose - with Ronnie being another 'burst slinger with sometime LP-ist Sammy Hagar on vocals.

He was also the first guy I knew who was into Aerosmith back in their early days with both Brad and Joe playing 'bursts more often than not.

And his first US craze was for those LP playing guys from Kiss. Can't remember their names, though......lol!

He also inroduced me to both Ted Nugent and, as I think I mentioned earlier, Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush.

P.

They do mine, MB!

My friend who was into all the US bands from the mid-'70s on had their early albums (up to around '83?) and played them to death.

He was also into Michael Moorcock's fantasy books so it all formed a sort of 'virtual world' for him.

It was only much, much later that I knew that John Sykes was in the band before he was part of Lizzy and Whitesnake.

Going back to the other bands he was into;

Montrose - with Ronnie being another 'burst slinger with sometime LP-ist Sammy Hagar on vocals.

He was also the first guy I knew who was into Aerosmith back in their early days with both Brad and Joe playing 'bursts more often than not.

And his first US craze was for those LP playing guys from Kiss. Can't remember their names, though......lol!

He also inroduced me to both Ted Nugent and, as I think I mentioned earlier, Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush.

P.

Hey Pippy,

Great to hear from you. This thread is really taking me down memory lane.

I wish I had a time machine to see some of the shows I missed.

Thankfully my CD's are able to withstand constant play and my wife is exceedingly patient.

Peace,

MississippiBlue

OK... I know I'll miss a few, but...

Peter Green

Danny Kirwan

Eric Clapton (Bluesbreakers)

Duane Allman

Dickey Betts

Warren Haynes

Gary Rossington

Robby Krieger (

)

Billy Jones

Peter Frampton

Jimmy Page

Lester Polsfuss

Mark Knopfler

Ted Oberg (Livin' Blues)

Eelco Gelling (Cuby & the Blizzards)

(Molly Hatchet)

(Blackfoot)

Toy Caldwell & George McCorkle (The Marshall Tucker Band)

Paul Kossoff (I like him best with

)

Gary Moore

(Chicken Shack)

Bill Bartlett (Ram Jam)

Billy Gibbons

Steve Mariott (Humble Pie)

Leslie West

(The Grease Band)

Neil Schon (Santana & Journey)

Mick Taylor

Jeff Beck

(Nephew of JB Hutto)

I'm sure I've forgotten many...

Hey Veeman,

Thanks for tipping your hat to Miles Goodwin ~ April Wine from Canada.

Medlocke and Scholz ~ not too shabby.

Regards,

MississippiBlue

Always been a fan of Boston, but as far as guitarist for that band is concerned, Barry Goudreau always could play circles around Tom Scholz. Scholz just happens to play 68 Les Pauls.

Always been a fan of Boston, but as far as guitarist for that band is concerned, Barry Goudreau always could play circles around Tom Scholz. Scholz just happens to play 68 Les Puuls.

Hey Veeman,

Their styles are different indeed. Scholz is like a jet fighter during take off and Goudreau is like a soaring eagle.

The beauty of diversity.

Take Care Man,

MississippiBlue

Just remembered,

Dave Meniketti, of Y&T

Hey Veeman,

You have successfully transported me back in time. I remember Y &T very well.

Let me see if I can put you on the Time Machine as well.

The Rods

The Four Horsemen. Nobody Said It Was Easy is an EXCELLENT CD. Amazing guitar work.

Canadian metal band ~ Anvil. Saw them back in 1981 on the Hard n' Heavy Tour. Easily the LOUDEST Band I have ever seen.

Ah the good old days. Time stood still back then....

Take Care Man,

MississippiBlue

I remember Anvil, but they were not as loud as Foghat!!!

Hey Haphazard,

After I posted the Anvil reply I started to think back. The loudest band I've seen is Pantera with Anvil a very close second. I have not had the pleasure of attending a Foghat show. Black Sabbath was up there as well. To quote Ian Gillan ~ "Make everything Louder Than Everything Else". What a voice. I still get chills watching Deep Purple Live in Stockholm 1972. Mark 2 was the ULTIMATE line up. Sorry for my digression but everything started for me when I was seven years old. My SG playing cousin who is exactly 10 years my senior gave me a cassette that had Deep Purple and Quicksilver Messenger Service on it. All he said was ~ "You need to listen to this". I have never looked back........

Into Glory Ride,

MississippiBlue

Archived